S/PDIF output

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
ARJunior

Re: S/PDIF output

Post by ARJunior »

parody wrote:Well in the absence of suggestions I have ordered a CM108 usb soundcard (same as that linked to above) and found this data sheet, which suggests soldering to pin 1 for spdif and pin 14 for digital ground should give me the the RCA SPDIF I am after:

http://www.qsl.net/om3cph/sb/CM108_DataSheet_v1.6.pdf

Would rather solder on a £3 USB soundcard than directly on the joggler, just in case I slip.
Yes it's less risky than doing it to the joggler but I didn't want to use one USB port for this.
Like you told, you have to solder spdif to pin 1.
Hope you have ordered the exact model that I've suggested...this is the only one with smd CM108 chip.

For sure, you can found USB sound card with SPDIF connection but they are more expensive !
parody

Post by parody »

ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

Hmmm...hope that you'll be lucky with this model and that PCB looks like this one :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
parody

Post by parody »

Yup identical. I just tried to solder the cables... and failed! Its all so tiny, I got it on but bridged two legs, then snapped a leg off trying to separate it! My soldering is limited to chunky audio cables me thinks... Best not break open the joggler yet.

Aaargh - Not one person out there with a working off the shelf USB spdif solution?
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

parody wrote:Yup identical. I just tried to solder the cables... and failed! Its all so tiny, I got it on but bridged two legs, then snapped a leg off trying to separate it! My soldering is limited to chunky audio cables me thinks... Best not break open the joggler yet.

Aaargh - Not one person out there with a working off the shelf USB spdif solution?
Bad thing :(
This modification is not very difficult but all is depending of what kind of soldering iron you used for this...
Anyway, it's better killing a cheap USB sound card rather than a Joggler :)
parody

Post by parody »

Yeah! its an iroda gas iron, not a very small tip, very fiddly, didn't appreciate how small it was. TBH, I'm the sort of person that will be questioning if done it right the whole time afterwards anyway so maybe its best I find a retail solution!

I have found some USB DACs using the CM108 chip, but they are weighing in at £30 or more. This was supposed to be a cheap SB touch... Outside of actual products, do we know what USB audio chips should be supported by the joggler out of the box outside of the CM108? It seems there are lots of CM108 devices but few include use of the SPDIF output.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Awesome work on the documentation, ARJunior - just been reading the wiki. Top stuff. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

@Roobarb
Thanks but it's nothing compared to your work ;)

@Parody
I bought this USB sound card in the past due to the SPDIF hack possibility only.
I'm pretty sure you could find other compatible card not based on CM108 chip...

Regards.
parody

Post by parody »

Yeah it's just the expense of trial and error...

Roobard - have followed your tutorials with great success, Thanks!
brycheiniog

Post by brycheiniog »

I have finally got around to doing this mod and it works really well. Thanks for ARJunior for figuring out the software changes necessary to get this to work. I went a slightly different route and added a digital connection rather than optical.

I have updated the wiki page with details of how I made the mod:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Interna ... ono_socket

Cheers

Jonathan
Mr_Dave

Post by Mr_Dave »

Brilliant work guys! I'm going to have to have a go at this myself!

Top stuff :D

Dave
sampras

Post by sampras »

i know this is an old thread but I've just started reading this forum and just looking to pick up a joggler, I have some questons I 'm hoping some one can help me with?
Is it possible to have both the headphone jack and the s/pdif connection?
Where on earth can you buy a toslink socket, I've searched and cannot find one?
What type of wire do you need to use to connect the s/pdif socket to the motherboard?

Thanks in advance

Sampras
Last edited by sampras on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ARJunior

Post by ARJunior »

@Sampras

Yes you can keep the headphone and just add s/pdif socket.
I'd desoldered it to recuperate some place.
Don't know where you can buy a toslink socket...I've got it from an old CDROM...sorry...
Concerning the wires, I don't think it's very important as long as you don't use very long wires.

Regards.
sampras

Post by sampras »

thanks for the quick respone, now got to get myself a joggler!
sampras

Post by sampras »

Mevi wrote:That's a tidy install. I have some optical sockets unused from my shuttle xpc if anyone wants them. I can put 'em in an envelope.

ARJunior, does the chip support microphone in, too? I have TabletPC working in XP and adding support for mic would be great.
Hey - long shot but I'd like one of those sp/dif connectors, I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I have an ancient VOIP USB phone handset with soundcard capability and S/PDIF out. I dusted it down when I got the Joggler and it just worked straight away. I thought it would be easy to buy a current soundcard with the same capability but apparently not easily (for the Joggler in any case). My card uses a C-Media chipset but I don't know which one; I'll need to do a bit more research.

Without having to resort to soldering, has anybody got a USB to S/PDIF soundcard solution that works out of the box? If so, share with the community, particularly if you know what chipset the device uses. I've read on the forum that devices with the CM106 chipset don't output sound through S/PDIF with the Joggler. If anybody has bought a model that works please post a link or photograph. Thanks.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Further to my question of yesterday, has anyone tried one of these?
http://intrl.startech.com/Cards-Adapter ... USBAUDIO7D

The specs say it is a C-Media CM6206 chipset with Linux compatibility.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Has anybody tried one of these with the Joggler? It has phono in/out, optical out, headphone and volume control.

http://amzn.to/Azl9rC
pukington

Post by pukington »

I decided to fire up my joggler the other day and was glad to find it still worked so thought i'd take a butchers back here at the wiki/forum and see whats changed, and i'm glad i found this thread!

I bought myself a nice amp recently and thought i'd couple it up with my joggler for use with the squeezebox, i had bought a cmedia external usb soundcard ages ago and having searched for it have come to a conclusion its lost which is most sad :( So instead of buying another one have thought about using the wiki page from ARJunior and fitting a toslink adapter.

I've found a few options for connections and thought i'd share as another user above was saying they couldnt find one.

http://uk.farnell.com/sharp/gp1fsv51tk0 ... dp/1618496 Farnell is the most likely and i'll just add it to my raspberry-pi order (if they let me), although an american seller on fleabay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280651676526? ... 1423.l2649 has them for a few quid too. By searching for toslink transmitter you'll find more options, also a part number is DLT1150 but i can't find stock of anyone in the uk and minimum order from china is 1000 units :/

I may simply rip one out of a dead motherboard/sound card if i can find one.

Having read the thread, i see someone has asked whether you can keep the spdif connection alive and not remove the 3.5mm, which is probably what i'll do, my main question is, i'm now running the latest pnp, can i edit the file to make the spdif work, and if i do, does the 3.5mm still work too? Or do i have to disable one to make the other work?

My aim is run the joggler with a dac to my hifi, anyone had good results or were they neglegible enough to render the idea pointless and just stick to the crappy 3.5mm?

Good work on finding how to add the optical out!
gegs

Post by gegs »

I play the Joggler through my hi-fi using a strange old USB VOIP handset/soundcard combination that has S/PDIF out. I'd like to replace this ugly contraption with something neater and have asked on the forum if anybody has had success with any newer soundcards with S/PDIF. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of forum members are using their Jogglers this way, so the silence has been deafening.

I don't know why the USB soundcard with S/PDIF method hasn't been investigated more fully before adding an S/PDIF socket to the main board. It's non-invasive and adaptable and the asound.conf file can be configured so that, if the USB card isn't attached at boot-up, it will will fall back to the internal soundcard and speaker.

I've decided to bite the bullet and buy one of these: http://bit.ly/Ho5xDO It has phono, S/PDIF and headphone out. Whether it works with the Joggler or not is uncertain, but I'll report back with my findings.