S/PDIF output

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
Error

Re: S/PDIF output

Post by Error »

hub looks very cool mounted Pete, as well as the SPDIF socket!

You mounted it by soldering on the extra (hidden) ports on the motherboard right?
pete

Post by pete »

Yes USB hub is connected per Wiki description:
TP137 and TP138 are similar, connected to bus 1 port 0 for USB 2 but will also work with USB 1.1 as bus 2 port 0.
The USB hub cable had very thin wires making it easy to route inside and around the motherboard. I used a bit of hot melt glue to hold them in place.

Thinking of ordering a laptop combination headphone jack / SPDIF connector, desolding current audio connection and replacing it with combo for next step. (not sure on the fit yet).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Looking good :-)
Happy Joggling
Error

Post by Error »

those spdif-and-3.5mm-jack-combo is also present in my HifimeDIY DAC.. would be neat if you manage to fit that in its original spot but have both optical and analog possibilities :)
pete

Post by pete »

It is tiny and looks to be similarly sized. This would maybe eliminate the need for cutting the back of the Joggler case.

Goofing around yesterday did try testing with an optical connector looking for the "red light" to no avail though.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

I wonder if cannibalising this might be worthwhile?

you could use the optical 3.5mm connector to provide an optical output, but actually hard wire the DAC to give RCA phone output (assuming it's better quality than the joggler's own)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optical-SPDIF ... 3cf3614f73

Bit surprised by the claimed bit rate handling of this cheap unit.
pete

Post by pete »

I had looked at the USB DAC boxes. Is that what you mean by hard wiring the DAC? Or just use the optical SPDIF wires - SPDIF to DAC?

Like your post above there is a bunch of these on Ebay today.

So just using the original mod of SPDIF out to this box:

Built-in high-performance phase locked loop (PLL), with extra-low JITTER digital receiver chip WM8805.
Maximum support 192KHz/24bit audio signal
Optical/coaxial optional input function
2 channels standard RCA output port
Indication for digital receiving status (LOCKED)
MINI USB power supply port
- Pete

Auto mater
Hank_Marvin

Post by Hank_Marvin »

Hi,

I have a cliff electronics otj-5 spdif socket, it has 3 pins, does anyone know which pin needs to connect to ground/3.3v/signal? That's the bit I can't find details for.

Cheers
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; have a look here for a granular look see.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Internal_SPDIF_output
- Pete

Auto mater
Hank_Marvin

Post by Hank_Marvin »

I can see what needs soldering on the board but it just says solder three wires to socket, but which pin goes to which part of board, maybe I'm blind but I can't see :D
pete

Post by pete »

It is just ground, data and 3.3VDC marked in this picture. On the optical port side here on one that I have sitting on the workbench desk there are three colors of wires. One Black (assuming that it is a ground), Red (assuming that is the 3.3VDC wire) and White (assuming that is the data wire). This is a best guess as I am not looking at the schematic or drawing of the pin outs (I do have them some place here).
SPDIF.gif
- Pete

Auto mater
Hank_Marvin

Post by Hank_Marvin »

I see, my spdif came without cables attached, tricky situation lol.

http://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/optical/otj5.jpg This is exactly what I have.

and I found this http://www.taligentx.com/projects/optic ... itter2.gif its a different model from what I gather but perhaps it's the same. But if the same I guess pin 1 is 3.3v, pin 2 signal and pin 3 ground?
pete

Post by pete »

You can tinker with a VOM as I think you will see some differences in the pins of SPDIF (and I am guessing the order is always the same)...
- Pete

Auto mater
Hank_Marvin

Post by Hank_Marvin »

I got cliff electronics to confirm, it is, pin 1 voltage in, pin 2 signal, pin 3 is ground.

Once complete is it really just "unmute spdif from alsa sound"? when running squeezeplayOS from USB?
Hank_Marvin

Post by Hank_Marvin »

any one can confirm what software changes I need to make with squeezeplay os via usb stick? I've unmuted spdif but not sound.
Hank_Marvin

Post by Hank_Marvin »

its working......somehow.....possible dodgy optical cable :)
pete

Post by pete »

Here for my zoned amplifier I leave a Joggler next to the amplifiers in a rack in the basement and it is remote controlled via the mothership.

For the master bedroom / bath sound I built a touchscreen interface with radio buttons on it which also talk to the mother ship. That device is using an external digital USB device and it works fine.

The mothership does a bunch of stuff here but is not AI; rather it's just a software tool that manages the heartbeat of the home; well and occasionally does some willy nilly stuff.
- Pete

Auto mater
Hank_Marvin

Post by Hank_Marvin »

I'm trying a sharp spdif transmitter, the stream keeps cutting at the start of songs, very annoying, hoping its just the cliff electronics spdif though, I did dremel it a bit so it could have been me, we'll see.
roger l

Post by roger l »

Here is a SPDIF 24 bit card from E bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audiophonics- ... 4aee75b2ab
Not sure if answers any of the needs on this post.
Attachments
It looks compatble
It looks compatble
pete

Post by pete »

I did dremel it a bit so it could have been me

Still would be hard to mess it up with a dremel...but maybe eh?
- Pete

Auto mater