Screen cracked - any suggestions?

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
J400uk

Screen cracked - any suggestions?

Post by J400uk »

Found this in the cupboard this morning:

Still seems to boot up (running the original O2 S/W!) and you can use the touchscreen but obviously as per the pictures it's in quite a poor state.

Any suggestions on repair?
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Screen cracked - any suggestions?

Post by BuZz »

can buy a new screen from ebay (there are two there atm), or buy a broken joggler (that has something other than a screen fault) and swap it out ?
J400uk

Post by J400uk »

BuZz wrote:can buy a new screen from ebay (there are two there atm), or buy a broken joggler (that has something other than a screen fault) and swap it out ?
Any chance of a link to the screen on eBay? Can't seem to find it, thanks.

EDIT: Found it :) Bit expensive though I guess the second option may work out cheaper!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

The screens alone always seem a bit pricey. You could get a non-starter - even if someone's killed it with the wrong power supply, the screen usually survives.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

He he he that was me :-/ wrong power supply job a couple of months ago but unfortunately sold it on eBay for 20 a couple of weeks ago!!
You could always use it as a server or something similar tucked away.
They are very easy to dismantle if you do get ahold of a screen
Good luck
Happy Joggling
Hal_The_Hacker

Post by Hal_The_Hacker »

if this is still needed, i just fried my joggler 20 mins ago by plugging the screen in the wrong way round (lots of smoke) seemed to just be a diode blown, but have replaced it and its still not working :( i can see images on the screen, just the backlight driver has died, so screen is fine!

shoot me a PM if you want it
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Hello, me too, I have a cracked screen, maybe it was hit during deliver, it was a non boxed joggler.
Luckly mine is better, it has just a crack crossing from the right side to the bottom, it crosses all the display, but touch screen works and display view is ok, so it's just a "estetic" problem.

Following your experience, it's good to leave it untouched or try to do something to fix? I really don't know if the superficial glass is the "touch screen" or it's just a thin glass to protect wha't under it!
J400uk

Post by J400uk »

Leonardo wrote:Hello, me too, I have a cracked screen, maybe it was hit during deliver, it was a non boxed joggler.
Luckly mine is better, it has just a crack crossing from the right side to the bottom, it crosses all the display, but touch screen works and display view is ok, so it's just a "estetic" problem.

http://s22.postimage.org/7sq8w8wld/IMG_ ... 111121.jpg

Following your experience, it's good to leave it untouched or try to do something to fix? I really don't know if the superficial glass is the "touch screen" or it's just a thin glass to protect wha't under it!
Nope still never got this sorted. I haven't really got a use for it hence the lack of urgency but should really do something about it at some point! Shame there is no way to replace just the front glass and retain the existing screen.
faekie

Post by faekie »

I fried my Joggler today so I am in need of a new motherboard or have a screen for sale! :roll:

Mine fried while running on a universal PSU (5V-15V) when the power brick fell to the floor, my guess is a voltage spike, no boot and green flashing LED D5 while connected to mains.
pete

Post by pete »

There is a fuse that looks like a diode at the 5VDC ingress points (red and black wire) of the motherboard.

I had an OpenPeak 2 which was pretty dead and scorched there. It would not boot.

I shorted the fuse with a little solder and it boots fine now. That said if I mess it up with the wrong voltage it really will get fried the next time around.

I did buy more fuses and haven't gotten around to install it. There are tiny surface mounted fuses.

You might want to see if it'll boot with a 5VDC power supply shorting out the old fuse. BTW mine was totally burned up.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater