Bewildering...

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
ilovemyjoggler

Bewildering...

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

This forum is an eye opener. I'm amazed at how resourceful and imaginative people are. Who knew...jogglers in the bathroom (scary), jogglers in a car (baffling), jogglers as PIR's, jogglers connected to eachother and streaming music around the entire house and, not forgetting my personal fave, jogglers as a tv and the list goes on. I can't believe that for the first year and half of my first joggler's life that I only ever used the stock system with a simple usb playing music. I still don't make the most of my jogglers, I know I never will, as I just don't have the know how but honestly this stuff makes fascinating reading, even with the odd disaster...RIP to those jogglers who died for the greater good.

I thought once I got mine working again I would never come back to this forum but I find myself strangely drawn to 'what will you come up with next'. Thanks you lot for the fascinating entertainment!
pete

Re: Bewildering...

Post by pete »

Yes its great.

I have three in the master bedroom. One is on my nightstand, one is in the master bathroom and one is by the multimedia center. Use all three now every day. On of my HA peers has one in almost every room of his home; even one for his infant to use.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pukington

Post by pukington »

I agree, I bought mine on the offchance of finding the birds like wires site, i dont even recall what it was I was looking for. Had an interesting year with mine, now its doing exactly what i was after with my squeezebox server and net radio, picture frame etc, its great, even the gf can work it. I want another load, in every room, just can't think of needing more than one in a one bedroom flat! lol
pete

Post by pete »

Here the master bedroom is kind of unique alternative living space sort of. Even though its mostly used for sleeping in; it's size is just a tad smaller than the multimedia / family room. Aside from the bed, nightstands, regular bedroom furniture; there is a couch and an entire MM center in the room.

That said though there is one Joggler connected to the MM center (TV et al), one on the nightstand (clock radio on steroids) and one in the master bathroom (test wireless). The master bathroom while "connected" to the master bedroom is down a short hall and separated by other space which are two walk in closets which are larger than the second bathroom on the second floor. In retrospect then the Master bedroom/bathrooms use up about 1/3 of the entire space utilized by the second floor (with three other bedrooms and another bathroom).

That aside though I do not really watch "television" and prefer audio entertainment. Thus the TV in the master bedroom is really never turned on and rarely watched.

Not sure if my description makes any sense though?
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Aww, thanks to you guys I'm a very happy bunny!! Now got 3 jogglers (all PNPIII'ed) fully functioning (at the moment!) and serving their purpose:

Kitchen uses XBMC OS. I love this OS but would gladly beg anyone to find a way of adding Roobarb!'s squeezeplay to it so I don't have to keep powering down to switch to PNPIII. Any takers? You don't ask, you don't get... ;)

Bedroom uses PNPIII (with Mint nearby for XBMC) - doubling up as a phone/gadget charger.

Living room uses Squeezeplay OS - and is the hifi (been listening to digital music for ages so the dead hifi hasn't been replaced as yet) ALL that's needed now is a better pair of usb powered speakers for this joggler - nothing expensive/fancy/special but with a little bit of oomph. Any ideas anyone?

Am thinking maybe one more joggler in the future (cash flow depending) to replace a digital photo frame in the front room. May as well have something that shows photos AND does other things... Jogglers are rather 'moreish' :D

Thanks so much for helping and sharing your knowledge!
pete

Post by pete »

Jogglers would work nicely as a digital photo frame. A few years back purchased a "few" of the Kodak picture digital frames for the relatives such that I could keep one internet picture site up with all of the family pictures. It worked well over the last few years until Kodak bit the dust and now they are all paperweights. One of the many photo frames I purchased other than Kodak was a Toshiba digital picture frame for my sister. That one is still working fine. I used Picassa for my family pictures.

None the less with what you can do with the Joggler; it would be a nice digital picture frame.
- Pete

Auto mater
QuackingPlums

Post by QuackingPlums »

ilovemyjoggler wrote: Bedroom uses PNPIII (with Mint nearby for XBMC) - doubling up as a phone/gadget charger.
Now that's an idea! Do you mean you are using the USB port to charge other gadgets? If so, how do you use that AND PNPIII at the same time? Doesn't the flash drive take up the USB port?

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot that PNPIII is installed directly into the internal storage after the initial activation of SSH/SCP. It's been a while since I've used this. Ignore me... :lol:
Last edited by QuackingPlums on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuackingPlums

Post by QuackingPlums »

pete_c wrote:Jogglers would work nicely as a digital photo frame. A few years back purchased a "few" of the Kodak picture digital frames for the relatives such that I could keep one internet picture site up with all of the family pictures. It worked well over the last few years until Kodak bit the dust and now they are all paperweights. One of the many photo frames I purchased other than Kodak was a Toshiba digital picture frame for my sister. That one is still working fine. I used Picassa for my family pictures.

None the less with what you can do with the Joggler; it would be a nice digital picture frame.
I tried to do this when I first got mine, but couldn't find a satisfactory solution. What I wanted was a slideshow app that would cycle through all the photos in a given folder, but where the folder could be sync'd to a shared folder on Dropbox. I have yet to find a decent slideshow app that had all the usual features (nice transitions, Ken Burns effects, etc) with Dropbox integration or at least the ability to cope with a standalone Dropbox client changing the contents of the folder whilst it was running (many of them get the list of filenames at startup and won't see new files when Dropbox adds them).

If I could get this working then the Joggler would make an ideal remotely-updatable photo frame for the parents/in-laws, who are constantly badgering me for photos of their grandson but who don't understand enough about technology to copy pictures from email onto an SD card and pop it into their existing digital photo frames... :roll:
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

gphotoframe perhaps ?

There is also a thread on here where I list a setup to get the normal x screensaver to pick up files from a folder, which gets filled up with fetchmail grabbing attachments from an email address - so you can email pics to be added. You could do the same with dropbox, etc too.
pete

Post by pete »

I will give it a go.

Yes here played with making the Kodak frame a home automation status screen using RSS; worked but the RSS was hand written.

I still have a now old Kodak Cevia frame that I never took out of the box.

Yes; I was getting calls from the relatives about this or that; weddings, baby birthday parties et al.
- Pete

Auto mater
iLLiac4

Post by iLLiac4 »

About picture frame. Use xbmc for o2joggler. It has picture viewer integrated. You can use samba to save the pictures on it or. Remote network,... You name it. You can set settings unter system to set auto rotate, pan, time to display,...
And there are a lot of addons which can help if you like to use cloud stuff like flicker, google, picassa,....
Or. Even open one of the online radio plugins let it play and open picturs and enjoy pictures with some background music.... I bet no kodak frame can beat you:)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Plus one for using Xbmc as a picture viewer.
I put on some music then go to pictures and select one of my photo albums and slideshow it all works very smoothly.
Another neat Xbmc feature : you can play an album go to picture add ons and choose last fm slideshow and you get random images of the artist you are listening to
Happy Joggling