Joggler Screen dead

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
sparx

Joggler Screen dead

Post by sparx »

Hey guys,

Recently my Joggler started showing signs of the hazy o2 boot screen, which would be fine when booted into the jogglers normal OS / XP.

However today i've been configuring my XP build, switched to 1024x768 (but had the screen disconnected at this point), did my stuff and then back to 800x480 and shutdown.

When rebooting my joggler (and reconnecting the screen), the screen is now just black, nothing appears visible (but the touchscreen works) - the device still boots to XP and I can VNC to it but there is nothing on screen. I've tried wiggling the LVDS cable to no avail - I suppose the only option now is to continuity test the cable and make sure it's not that? It doesn't even flash white momentarily when it boots which makes me think somethings gone awry with either the cable or the actual display...

Edit: LVDS cable tests ok. I'm out of ideas - 14v measures on the backlight pins (I saw 28v being mentioned somewhere?), is anything visible on screen if the backlight fails?
sparx

Re: Joggler Screen dead

Post by sparx »

Just had a prod around, mindset being if the screens dead and I don't know whether it's the mainboard or the screen then I may aswell try and fix it!

Appears that the LCD is fine, just the backlight thats broken. Lovely jubbly, perhaps I will be able to fix it then!

Measured 14v on the backlight lines at the backlight connector

Capacitor? Between VCC and ground

A nice touch! My DMM helped me test each led while in continuity mode! All of them work.

Can anyone measure the voltage over the backlight connector (the white connector in the first image)? The pin on the far right hand side is + and ground is the far left pin. I'm hoping that a power supply component has failed on the joggler board which I will be able to replace or something easy like that.
sparx

Post by sparx »

Sad day (today just keeps getting worse and worse).

I was prodding around inside my joggler with my multimeter, after deciding that the LED strip itself wasn't the cause of the backlight failure. Moving the LCD panel around, I caught the ribbon on the bottom and tore through 5 or so conductors. :cry:

Also turns out that my sister had caught the joggler power cable round a chair leg and pulled it off a cupboard yesterday (before the backlight failed) - whether this had an effect on it or not I don't know, all I know now is I need to fork out another £40ish to get a new one

However I also found that you can peel the digitiser from the front glass - whether it is still useful or not I don't know, but you can peel it off if you are careful. You'd need to clean up the adhesive residue from it though. You can also separate the black outside frame from the glass screen, heating it first would probably make it easier but I took it slow with a lolly stick and got pretty much all the way around before I just went for it and broke the glass (Note: Glass in face is not good!)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

You've killed it, haven't you?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Glass in face AND dead joggler?!! Christ...
sparx

Post by sparx »

The joggler itself is very much alive. However, the display is dead. Besides, it wasn't much good without the screen for my purposes! It would still be useful if you wanted a headless computer.

After reading the spec for the screen, I imagine either the chip driving the backlight had died, or a component critical to it's operation had bitten the dust. So even if I had bought a new screen, it probably wouldn't have fixed my problem.
pete

Post by pete »

Wow; you've done a number on your Joggler. That said I would just use what's left for parts and start new?

I remember a few years back my wife needed to go to India on a business trip. While waiting for her customs check she was leaning on her new IBM (last of the IBM laptops). It was sitting on the glides for the baggage. It for whatever reason became a projectile and went some 20 feet away; seemingly on its own. That said she did not crack the case; which I was very surprised but did trash her hard drive such that she was unable to utilize the laptop for her 2 week stay there.

I inherited that laptop from my wife's work; gratis; and installed a new hard drive in it. It is sitting in Florida today running as a server for my weather station and application.

Chalk it up as a learning experience on your way to becoming a Joggler hardware Guru (expression from the Amiga computer days).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
sparx

Post by sparx »

It's all good - i've always been one to rip stuff apart to see how it works, I still (I have no idea why!) have some boards from a VCR from at least 1998 (Would have been 8!) in the shed. I don't think there's anything in this house that's died without me at least prodding around before throwing it away (with some success, first ever soldering exercise I replaced the caps in my sisters pc as they had all blown).

I had been using a thin client as a NAS with a 600gb USB Drive for storage / torrent client / etc... It's only 800mhz with 192mb ram, so the Joggler will probably perform better with less power usage, so might have a use for it already! (This thin client was going to be put in my car originally before I found Jogglers!)
pete

Post by pete »

Same thing here.

Always enjoyed that kind of stuff. I still have a VCR on the MM shelf. Its an old JVC actually made for music more than video with a number of search features et al on it. Never seen another one like this one before. I haven't used it in probably 20 years or so. In the basement still have a few Tivos which are all apart and I was using them for spare parts up until a few years ago.

Yup my first soldering experience was from around 1962. Around then the thing to get was a little "transistor" radio. I remember taking a few apart. I did get yelled at a few times for putting my hands inside of a very old "tube" style TV set. Oh I learned the hard way one day fusing together an ID bracket to my wrist.

Still goofed around though with bigger toys; in the 1980's learned to fly and one day during my instruction we couldn't start the plane. My instructor said you don't electricity to start the plane; so we started it by hand and went flying for a couple of hours. That and one day I was taking pictures hanging out of the plane and almost fell out; did get some good pictures though.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
sparx

Post by sparx »

Just bought another Joggler, £37 delivered, hopefully this one won't break! I do have to separate base and screen to fit my car and also file down the plastic clips and remove the light sensor. Just an amplifier to buy (and appropriate wiring and fuses) and to choose a front-end program for Windows and then my projects complete! (Well, until I want to add something else, like Cameras, etc!)

Just a test of the power supply (and accessory switched relay), just the standard Joggler OS.
pete

Post by pete »

Very nice!
- Pete

Auto mater