Power supply replacement

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
Nasedo

Power supply replacement

Post by Nasedo »

Hi everyone, this is my first post, as I own O2 Joggler since yesterday. I had a chance to buy it in person, but unfortunately I couldn't test in, because, as seller sates power supply has been broken. I took a risk and have decided to buy the Joggler.
I found replacement in eBay - but in the meantime I found something, what could be considered as replacement.
It has 5V, 2A and 10W and in my opinion similar plug.

Question is, is it really worth to try start with this power supply my Joggler?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
offbeatdave

Re: Power supply replacement

Post by offbeatdave »

can't remember the details off hand but be careful as people have fried their jogglers with the wrong power adaptors.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
Nasedo

Post by Nasedo »

As far as I remember, power supply for Joggler is 5V and 4A - but I'm not sure about Watts.
roobarb!

Power supply replacement

Post by roobarb! »

Pretty sure it's a 5V input (not near a Joggler at the mo), but not certain a 2A supply will have the juice to run it reliably. Make sure it's a regulated supply (switched mode are best). Some cheaper PSUs can output voltages that are nowhere best what they say on the sticker!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Nasedo

Post by Nasedo »

It's been written on power supply: "SWITCHING ADAPTER". I was worry myself about not enough power, id the dedicated has 4A, but this which I want to use only 2A.

I would like to check if the Joggler is working, not to use it with this power supply forever.
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

If you search through the hardware forum, there's links that I posted a few months back to ones that I sourced from CPC. I bought three of them and they are just fine.

Edit: this is the thread.. http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... pply#p6514
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Also, search the forum for stories of people killing their Jogglers with the wrong PSU. I wouldn't chance it, myself.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
Nasedo

Post by Nasedo »

I've seen this thread:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=4&t=134
But I'm still not sure if my will be sufficient, at least to start and test it.
Anyway I would like to thank for everyone who want to help me.

Edit:

I have started this thread, so I would like to finish it. My TEMPORARY switching adapter (5V, 2A, 10W) is working perfectly. Joggler is working about 10 hours, without any issues. I'm waiting for a proper one, from eBay, price £13.95
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Hello Nasedo I think 2A is enough for "normal" use, you can try to use some "heavy" application to see if Joggler crashes or what...Also the power supply can go in "protect" mode, powering off itself. It's strange some people fried Joggler, maybe inverting polarity? Joggler power supply has the + inside (it's a common mode, I rarely seen power supply with the + outside).
(For example I'm using another power supply because Joggler comes with UK standard plug, in Italy power plugs are very different, so I looked in my garbage to find a compatible power adapter and luckly I found a 5V 4A with the correct connector!)
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Hello again, just an update: I forgot the power supply at home and I'm using a "workaround": 5V 2.4A and it seems to be ok. I think 2A is enough for normal use.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Fried Jogglers usually occur because someone's plugged in a PSU that outputs more than 5V (accidentally connecting a 12V PSU is a common killer).

You're unlikely to cause harm (to the Joggler at least) using an underpowered 5V adapter. A 5V 2A adapter is probably fine for most things; 5V 4A is the standard and if you could find a 5V 8A then you'd still be fine - the amperage is what the PSU can supply, not what the Joggler will draw.

But if you ramp up the voltage, it's going to go wrong pretty quickly. Switching PSUs are best as they deliver the voltage they state, regardless of the load. The cheaper, heavier bricks only deliver their stated voltage under the correct loading conditions, so I'd avoid using them on a Joggler.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Ah ok I always read carefully the specs of a power supply when I have to replace it! I have a box full of power supplies for any needs :D
Sometimes someone fried device for revertinf polarity too!!! Anyway a tester may help.. and... no trust non switching power supplies!!!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Leonardo wrote:Sometimes someone fried device for revertinf polarity too!!! Anyway a tester may help.. and... no trust non switching power supplies!!!
Oh, yes - need to watch out for the polarity as well!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

and need to make sure the PSU is regulated too.
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

For this I say don't trust NON switching PSU.. too much unstable!!!
pete

Post by pete »

Here I have 4 Jogglers (Jogglers are literally all over the house today - WAF is good) connected to a standard Tycon POE switch injector with TP-Link power splitters providing the 5 VDC for the Jogglers.

I am now utilizing the Tycon 24 port mid span POE injector for IP cameras, Android and CE based in wall touchscreens in addition to the Jogglers.

They have been connected in this manner now for over one year and working well.
Attachments
Joggler POE - TP-Link Power splitter
Joggler POE - TP-Link Power splitter
Tycon Mid span POE Injector
Tycon Mid span POE Injector
Joggler POE.jpg (9.71 KiB) Viewed 14480 times
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jimboy698

Post by jimboy698 »

I bought 3 Jogglers with no power supplies. 5v 4A PSUs are rare & expensive compared to the £15 for the Jogglers. Measured current draw, 1.7 to 1.9A, even playing music via wireless and playing a game at the same time. It is not impossible that some processor-intensive application would increase that, I would be interested if anyone has observed higher currents. Meanwhile the first Joggler is working well on a 2.5A PSU.
Jim
gegs

Post by gegs »

I just bought one of these today - http://ebay.eu/1m85kem
It cost almost as much as my ex-betting shop Joggler - but at under £34 for a Joggler and power supply it was still a bargain. I doubt that they are Openpeak branded as in the photo, but we'll see when it arrives.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

gegs wrote:I just bought one of these today - http://ebay.eu/1m85kem
It cost almost as much as my ex-betting shop Joggler - but at under £34 for a Joggler and power supply it was still a bargain. I doubt that they are Openpeak branded as in the photo, but we'll see when it arrives.

I bought two of these for my BSJ's and they are working without any problemo.

atb

Ronnie.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Great news about the power supply. The bad news is that my 'mothballed rainy day Joggler' might soon see service as an Android device. Just gotta tweak!