Power Joggler & External Device from Joggler Power Supply

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
Juggler

Power Joggler & External Device from Joggler Power Supply

Post by Juggler »

When I had a look at my Joggler power supply (has openpeak on it) today, I states that it delivers 5V at up to 4 amps. 4 Amps is quite a bit of current, and I have seen on another post that at boot time a joggler only draws something like 1.2 amps.

So as a suggestion, I wonder if it would be possible to make a y type adapter for the power supply whereby it could power both the joggler and say an external USB hard drive ?

After reading about some USB hubs and power being returned to the Joggler, I guess if your careful over the USB cable used from the joggler to the hub, the joggler power supply, through the y adaptor, could also feed a USB hub.

The benefit of this would be that only 1 power supply is needed, so if you have a joggler on 24/7, over the longer term there may be less power usage.

If you have any comments / suggestions, I would appreciate to hear, even if it is a definite no-go.

I haven't done anything like this before, as laptops tend to work from 12 to 19 volts, so the only available 5 volt supply is from USB or a separate supply. Once I used a Nokia charger (or similar) to power a 2.5" external USB hard d;rive, when I'd blown the 5V supply of a laptop USB socket, and that worked OK.

Cheers
pete

Re: Power Joggler & External Device from Joggler Power Suppl

Post by pete »

I have 4 Jogglers running 24/7 on Poe adapters that deliver only 2-2.5 Amps and they have been fine for the last few weeks if that helps you any.

I do remotely shut down the backlight every night on the Jogglers. I can feel that they do get warm with the display on full brightness all day.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Juggler

Re: Power Joggler & External Device from Joggler Power Suppl

Post by Juggler »

Thanks pete, its good to know that the Joggler can manage on less than 4 amps and that you run Jogglers 24/7, as this is what I'd like to do. This means running the Joggler and powering a hub from the same power supply is a possibility.

I think what would be useful for this and also for a battery pack idea I have in mind, is to get some current drawn readings of the Joggler in various states and with some typical devices attached.

I thought that if I put my meter in series on the +5V line and set to read current this should work. I think my meter is good up to about 10 Amps on DC. I fried a meter once doing something similar, so I think I will do a few tests on expendable items that run off 5V, before putting the Joggler on...