Best USB 2.0 connections on CPU side of Motherboard

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

Best USB 2.0 connections on CPU side of Motherboard

Post by pete »

Looking for best points to solder a 2.0 USB connection on the CPU side of the motherboard.

I'm testing a very thin USB cable.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Mevi

Re: Best USB 2.0 connections on CPU side of Motherboard

Post by Mevi »

pete_c wrote:Looking for best points to solder a 2.0 USB connection on the CPU side of the motherboard.

I'm testing a very thin USB cable.
The first 2 listed on the hardware wiki are both on plate through holes, so you'll be able to attach the wire on both sides. One of them is only USB 1.1, but that's detailed in the wiki. http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Additio ... ifications
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Mevi,

I'm really bad with colors on my USB wires; but it looks to be white, black, red and green. I am guessing that the red and black are the power and green and white are the USB plus and minus. I have a bare wire to USB connection "tester" cable which is also red, white green and black. Hopefully the two are the same.

Just changed how I am doing this; found a USB female socket with skinning wires and may use that instead.

Connector colors are
1 ==> red = = > USB tab #1
2 ==> white = = > USB tab #2
3 == > green = = > USB tab #3
4 == > black = = > USB tab #4

Then this one is a USB 2.0 connection?

- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I used a USB extension lead for my one and only attempt at soldering onto the msinboard. It was all a bit of a disaster due to my poor soldering skills. I think I bridged the holes. I just cleaned it up and brought the internal USB port to the outside. 1 Red is Voltage, 2 White is data -, 3 green is data +, 4 black is ground.

I soldered onto the other 2 pins, not the one in the picture you linked to. As I didn't get it working, perhaps I'm not the best to give any advice! :D

pete

Post by pete »

I think I'll test the other side where the USB connector is with a multimeter. Typically Red is voltage and black is ground. But you never really know the logic / standard used (if there is any going to the USB side). Thats what bugs me (aside from colors). I did purchase one of those soldering stations with multiple tips; so I have little bitty soldering tips; but my workbench illuminated magnifying glass is put away somewhere here.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Wikipedia confirmed th same USB wire colours as being the industry standard... Let's hope someone isn't havin a joke at our expense by changing it.

The soldering iron I picked up for a few quid, so it's no surprise that it was a bodged job! If I were more confident and my hands not shaking too much, I'd like one day to solder a ZIF connector. The spares/repairs netbook I bought for £30 a few weeks back only worked for a short while, the Samsung ZIF SSD that has decent enough read speeds to make it useable.... Until it refused to power up yesterday. I think it's only the power socket, which seems to have 5 legs anchoring it to the motherboard, and they're folded under to make it even more difficult to remove. Think I better invest in better tools.

pete

Post by pete »

I built a little JTAG to USB thingy and the colors were wierd; like yellow, blue, etc.

Meanwhile finished building a little dual core D525 Atom PC; custom job for a friend. Foxconn motherboard (I have two of these) and little bitty case with hot swap 2.5" drives in the front with a DVD/CDROM drive in the back. Got a deal on the barebones at $79.99 USD. Thing boots off of anything and its fast for a little Atom D525. I use one for my home automation server. Ripped the 150 Watt PS out of it and replaced it with a Pico PSU a bit bigger than the plug for it on the motherboard. Left a lot of space inside (relatively).
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

I currently have just one Joggler as a home media server. I figure the kids won't be quite so interested in DVD rips now that we have Netflix set up on the Wii, but we're all into our music. Prompted by the user Fez, I'm just transferring all my itunes media to it after I set up Home Sharing. I'll see how having TVersity and iTunes sharing at the same time works.

I'm a big fan of the Atom. On an ION board, it's quiet and really cheap. I'd have one for the living room TV if there wasn't all the games machines plugged in already.

pete

Post by pete »

I looked at the Shuttle Net tops sans ION and purchased two of them at the end of 2010. These two are always on 24/7 and doing well. The MM box thats sitting in the family room is an older Aopen PC with an HD tuner in it (micro miniature) and historically its been mostly off as I've been using two NMTs to watch movies. Just a couple of weeks ago though installed XMBC on it and using it. Works great. I do have TVersity and PlayonTV (with Netflix etc) on another box (very small mITX with a core duo). Not doing any NAS though and it does well for streaming audio/video and network streaming just fine.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Mevi wrote:One of them is only USB 1.1, but that's detailed in the wiki. http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Additio ... ifications
Just a little point - it's the other way around; one of the ports is USB 2.0 only, the others are USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 combined.

Just means that USB 1.1-only peripherals won't work on that particular port.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Yeah, don't listen to me. I need to RTFM! :D

pete

Post by pete »

So today tried a USB connection of a network USB device to the Joggler. I have a soldering station and I put a very small tip on the soldering iron. It didn't help much in that TP139 and TP140 are really close together.

I put the wires through the CPU side of the motherboard and soldered them on the LCD side trimming the little nubs. The positive and negative I wired as above. I then utilized a multimeter to check for shorts and found none. I also took apart the USB to NIC dongle and tested each one of the four wires from one end to the Joggler end. All were OK. The Joggler booted up OK and I didn't see any flames or smoke. Only thing is that the USB network device never came up. I cut and swapped the two Data leads and again nothing came up. I am thinking that maybe the USB to Network device is a USB 1.1 and not a USB 2.0 device as labeled? None the less I just cut the leads inside of the Joggler and taped them back in case I want to test again.

I put a new very thin footprint USB lead on the USB NIC stick; as it still works stuck it on the back side of the Joggler.

Here are some pics.

- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:Only thing is that the USB network device never came up. I cut and swapped the two Data leads and again nothing came up.
Were you using Linux or Windows? If on Linux, did you try a lsusb to see if there was anything there?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

roobarb! wrote:
pete_c wrote:Only thing is that the USB network device never came up. I cut and swapped the two Data leads and again nothing came up.
Were you using Linux or Windows? If on Linux, did you try a lsusb to see if there was anything there?
Thanks roobarb!, that's exactly what I needed, with a device I've just attached.

lsusb -t is great as it shows the device hierarchy, plus devices that are attached but not handled.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks roobarb!

I didn't even think of that...I've left the leads inside and taped up so will give it another try.

I also have a small USB bare board hub that'll I try next.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I was able to get it working.

I hooked up a combo USB hub / TS interface which I purchased for the Asus Nettop.

In XP....
It was wierd though because initially I booted with the device hooked up and XP did not see it. I then unplugged and plugged the device back in and it came up. I then plugged in three devices and the Joggler saw them all. I tried also to boot from a USB stick and it did that hub thing. I tried the three ports on the hub and none of them allowed the stick to boot. Plugging in the USB SSD stick; LEDs didn't even light up. (It does get pretty warm though). The Joggler wireless stick did work just fine plugged into the hub.

I did short out the Joggler a couple of times by inserting the USB cables upside down such that the 4 contacts touched the metal surface. I though I had damaged the Joggler the first time it shut down; then it just rebooted and all was fine.

In Linux....
Booted up to Linux and plugged in three devices. It saw the USB SSD stick this time.
joggler@joggler:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b4:1974 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 17ef:6014 Lenovo
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 13fe:5000 Kingston Technology Company Inc.
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 152d:0602 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp.
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 0eef:0001 D-WAV Scientific Co., Ltd eGalax TouchScreen
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 148f:2770 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2770 Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:5307 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Removing the hub and checking again I see:
joggler@joggler:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b4:1974 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 17ef:6014 Lenovo
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:5307 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

While I still have the Joggler mostly taped together with painters masking tape; the main motherboard is still using the mounting screws to keep it close to the bit of heat sink that exists. I did drop a small screw last night which flipped off my desk on to the run in my home office; spending maybe 20 minutes looking for it; which consumed more time than the actual testing.

Next will try booting with the USB SSD stick in the USB Radio plug and having the radio connected to the USB cables.
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Having decided that one of my Joggler's internal flash had finally given up for good, I decided that I'd have a go at adding a USB with a female end through the back of the Joggler to run alternative distros discretely. Followed the picture below

(albeit not as neatly!) and all is working perfectly! Thanks to all involved for their advice!
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
pete

Post by pete »

Great news there offbeatdave!

I wish there was a way to replace or do a "repair" of the internal flash. In the early 2000's I recall my issues with embedded Linux/Windows applications were always related to number of read/writes to the flash that were available. It came down to time and material as it was always easier/faster to replace a RW flash drive and an already configured flash RW drive than to repair it.

My experimental Joggler is still sitting on my desk taped together with painters masking tape. Its network connected via an Apple style (cut into pieces now) USB to NIC interface. It has a very small footprint and very thin wires on it. I could probably disassemble the main case and mount it inside of the Joggler.

Got a new "toy" a couple of weeks ago. Its an embedded 500 Mw PoE CE 6.0 wall mountable touch screen. It has a 500Mhz Arm CPU. Not as fast as the Joggler; very functional though.

I've played with MS Mobile CE but haven't played with a "touch screen" type device since the days of CE 2.0? I used to have an Epod many many years ago. It was a bit modified (rooted) and it worked well at the time.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I tried the wireless card on the motherboard USB connections and it works fine.

Cutting off the USB connector (desolder it) and connecting four wires to the four holes next to it.

For the time being soldering these wires to the motherboard connection and mounting the wireless card behind the USB SSD card in the interior of the Joggler.

I need to find a mini 4 pin connector.

Getting kind of warm after an hour or so.

Here's a picture.
Attachments
USBmod-2.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Today "sealed" the case shut with the screws. Before doing so looked to make sure that the USB SSD stick was pretty flush with the motherboard. It was. I think that the wireless stick is just getting hot from it being used. It snapped shut easily.

I'll let it continue to run as configured.
- Pete

Auto mater