Bricked it....

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
fraserm

Bricked it....

Post by fraserm »

Hey all,

I think I fried my Joggler. I stupidly plugged the power cable from my LinkySys Media Center extender into it by mistake, and now the Joggler doesnt power up at all!

Anything I can do, or do I have a good looking brick?

Thanks!
Fraser
roobarb!

Re: Bricked it....

Post by roobarb! »

fraserm wrote:I think I fried my Joggler. I stupidly plugged the power cable from my LinkySys Media Center extender into it by mistake, and now the Joggler doesnt power up at all!

Anything I can do, or do I have a good looking brick?
Erk. What was the voltage of the PSU you plugged in?

I've not heard of them returning to life after that kind of injury. It may be possible to repair, but I'm not certain how economical it would be (especially the time to fault-find).
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Looking at the mainboard, there are a number of surface mount fuses around where the power connects to the board - the little grey rectangular thingys with metal ends. You might find that it's just one of those that has popped. They're relatively easy to replace (for a surface mount component) or you could bridge the pins for a temporary fix. If you can just get hold of a multimeter to test them......

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/File:HiRes22.JPG
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
IanWood

Post by IanWood »

I managed to do the same with a laptop power cable, on my less than a week old (to me anyway) Joggler :(

The screen doesn't come on but a red and green led do and there is a clicking noise.

I have a multimeter....
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

The laptop power supplies I have seen typically supply around 19 Volts. I believe laptops can operate from 12 Volts upwards. Laptop power supplies provide a higher voltage so that the laptop can be operated and the battery charged at the same time.

I am interested to know what sort of voltage a joggler can operate up to as I'm interested in making a battery pack for a Joggler. But after reading this, I'm thinking that having a regulator may be a good idea !

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you want to test a fuse, set your multimeter to test resistance and then put the multimeter probes on either end of the fuse. If the fuse is blown, there should be a very high resistance or no reading at all. If the fuse is ok then there should be a very low resistance (ie 0 (or close to this) Ohms)

I don't know if it is that easy to do this as I haven't used surface mount components, but I know they're a bit small...
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Juggler wrote:I don't know if it is that easy to do this as I haven't used surface mount components, but I know they're a bit small...
:lol:

That's what you'll be looking for. Lots to chose from on the motherboard around where the power leads attach to the mainboard. They're fairly easy to remove and replace. Did that with really tiny ones on a Nintendo DS... If I can do that with my shakey hands and poor soldering skillz, so can you. :lol:
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

I have done the ds fuses too, fiddly but not difficult.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
roobarb!

Bricked it....

Post by roobarb! »

Has anyone had success with the Joggler on this front? It would be great if it were that easy, but I'm looking and seeing only resistors and capacitors, rather than SMD fuses.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

I'll take some pictures; but I cannot find them either (must be my eyes).

I have one Joggler taped (literally) together on my desk.

Here's a close picture near the power supply.

- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
kurt

Post by kurt »

Hello,

any news regarding the fuses? I have some Jogglers around here with exactly the same problem, the screen flashes, D5 is lit, swapping EFI chips doesn't help...

btw: One other doesn't light the screen but D5 is blinking, any thoughts?
btw2: I have one that starts, shows the logo but then turns off, usually after the O2 or Openpeak logo, but once i managed to start booting the reflash tool...

BR

Kurt
DonnieH

Post by DonnieH »

Did you guys get anywhere with these? Have two that appear dead although one has a flashing green LED under the back cover.
sparx

Post by sparx »

Have you checked for any 0 ohm resistors? With my limited electronics knowledge, I believe resistors can be used as primitive fuses (especially if you have maxed out your components on a pick and place machine!)
faekie

Post by faekie »

Mine fried today as well when my power brick fell to the floor and probably sent a voltage spike to the joggler!
There's a flashing LED beneath the cover (D5) now when I connect the power supply. I can't see any blown parts, no smoke came from it, no smelliness.
Voltage input to the Joggler reads short circuit, any suggestions? *fingers crossed*
pete

Post by pete »

Unsolder the fuse or just use very small wire nippers to remove it. Then temporary short it and connect the 5VDC power supply to it. Typically the shorted or bad fuse will look burnt and have little burn marks around it...looking at it with a magnifying glass.

You can purchase the little smd fuses for something like 5 for $1 USD with free shipping.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jmwhooper

Post by jmwhooper »

Same thing here, green LED (D5) flashes. I can't see the SMD fuses, can someone indicate on the picture http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/File:HiRes22.JPG

Thanks
pete

Post by pete »

The SMD fuse I believe is on the opposite side of the RED and BLACK power wires. It is tiny and if burned may show scorch marks. Mine did.
- Pete

Auto mater
jdunham

Post by jdunham »

Pete, do you remember /can you found out which component was fried? The circuit board has all components marked, so which one did you replace (or bridge with solder)?

Your help would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Jonathan
dammydam

Post by dammydam »

Hi all, This is a strange one and i don't have a clue what was going on...Maybe somebody on here with more experience will have an answer. I like people on this thread plugged in the wrong power supply and the joggler bricked just showing the flashing green light. I decided to open it up last night and have a probe about with the multimeter. i hooked it back up to the proper power supply and attached the common from the multimeter to were the power enters the board. Started probing around to see were i was getting a current and noticed after about 5 minutes the green light had turned to a solid green light. Fixed the joggler back up and it's now working perfect. Is there any logical reason why this would happen? .
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Weird and no idea.

I suppose if was a tiny SMD fuse that blew your prodding around could have joined it back together again, if that's the case I'd have thought it will now be sensitive to movement or shocks disconnecting the power?
dammydam

Post by dammydam »

I thought it was a SMD that had blown on the board , but after completely inspecting it through a magnifying glass there was no signs of anything blown. It doesn't seem to be sensitive to movement and plugging the power in and out(had it apart again and been turning it off all day) . Just needed a reflash as it had got corrupted. Am lost on this one ...very strange.