USB Tuner

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

USB Tuner

Post by pete »

Has anyone tried and utilized a USB based TV tuner with the Joggler yet?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Re: USB Tuner

Post by danfoshizzle »

There is a thread on the forum based on vdr for the joggler maybe give that a try pete
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Dan.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

I tried it ages ago with a little DVB tuner on an earlier Ubuntu build. It worked but I gave up pretty quickly because the TV antenna signal at the back of my house (where the kitchen Joggler is) is pretty atrocious. Depending on the weather conditions, sometimes a station would play seamlessly and at other times not at all.

XBMC with its iPlayer and TVcatchup addons (for us UK-based TV fans) also negated the need to fiddle around with DVB.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

I also use tv catchup, what a fabulous service that is.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
gegs

Post by gegs »

Despite what I said earlier, DVB would still be good to have for some uses. It means you could use the Joggler as a small TV to take on trips/holidays. It would be neat to use it without an internet connection.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks guys; just a thought as I've not played with one of those USB tuners yet.

Its just that today I have set up my home office LCD with OTA, Satellite, Cable and an in house channel selection. With OTA I've added filters such that 3 other channels are included. Aside from this have an NMT and a Logitech Review hooked up. Keeping the smaller Joggler footprint thinking of maybe setting up the device such that it'll get the in house video stuff.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

gegs wrote:I tried it ages ago with a little DVB tuner on an earlier Ubuntu build. It worked but I gave up pretty quickly because the TV antenna signal at the back of my house (where the kitchen Joggler is) is pretty atrocious. Depending on the weather conditions, sometimes a station would play seamlessly and at other times not at all.

XBMC with its iPlayer and TVcatchup addons (for us UK-based TV fans) also negated the need to fiddle around with DVB.
@Pete _c USB DVB-T Stick Afatech AF9015, is the one Tommes uses on his Joggler VDR ,
it looks like an xbmc PVR /vdr with iplayer/tv catchup and a couple of tv usb sticks plus a large fully loaded hdd say 2tb would be the ultimate Joggler media set up :D
Dream on .........
Or am I just greedy :?:
Happy Joggling
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Hawsey!

Trying in-network streaming tonight from another PC with a tuner via VLC; just to see what the picture looks like.
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

hawsey wrote:Or am I just greedy :?:
When the machines take over, they'll be tinkering with us. Have fun while it lasts. :P
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Mevi wrote:
hawsey wrote:Or am I just greedy :?:
When the machines take over, they'll be tinkering with us. Have fun while it lasts. :P
You had better believe it :shock: :lol:
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

lol

That's what my wife always thinks...
- Pete

Auto mater
Tommes

Post by Tommes »

Hi,

to select an 'USB Tuner', also a DVB-Device, don't look only at the manufacturer,
take ya focus at the build-in chipset.
Before buy, search the internet by your favorite model + linux (/ + vdr)
If you can test it before, would be the best. Plug-in and try 'lsusb' on terminal or lsusb -v
If nothing will be detect, try to install the firmware
apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
My DVB-T stick is this low-budget piece
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-dvb-t- ... emote-8309
I bought it before a year or so, so no warranty that it's the same model today, but at this priece ...
Now i've bought an adapter to home plug antenna for it
http://www.ebay.de/itm/MCX-Adapter-Kabe ... 3cbfd6be7c

Sorry, a little bit offtopic ;)
and my X10 remote control is like this
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Medion-X10-PC-US ... 3cc1cc8d00

Greets, Tommes
Hardware: O2 Joggler/Patriot XPorter XT Rage 8GB/Medion X10 rc
Software: Xubuntu 11.10 / XBMC + YaVDR
Streaming: Seagate Dockstar/Afatech DVB-T/2xUSB-HD (incl. rsync-backup) - Debian Squeeze + YaVDR (streamdev)
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Tommes!
- Pete

Auto mater