Powered USB hub?

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

Re: Powered USB hub?

Post by pete »

It might be easier to splice into the cable and just cut the 5V lead such that it doesn't make contact?

All my USB hubs have Type B connectors for the PC end connection part.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

pete_c wrote:It might be easier to splice into the cable and just cut the 5V lead such that it doesn't make contact?

All my USB hubs have Type B connectors for the PC end connection part.
I'm going to cut the 5V power on the lead from my Joggler to the powered hub; I don't want any upstream current to fry my little beauty. The cable carrying power to pin 1 is red for those that want to do the same.

I might also try removing the power pin from an old USB lead - just to test how difficult it might be. I've got a lot of narrow-nosed pliers around the house that might do the job.
pete

Post by pete »

Yes; that should do the trick. I had a similiar / different issue with an HDMI cable (more pins though). I would get a very intermittant screen blanking. I finally looked at the pins on the HDMI cable and one was bent in. I tried with a saftey pin to bend it back; no luck; so I replaced the cable. The few times I saw the Jogglers backlight going on when I would plug in one of the cheaper USB hubs; I quit using the supplimental voltage to power the hub. I mostly used it when I would connect a little SATA USB drive or the ZIF drive.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

I was running exclusively from an unpowered hub until the tail end of last year when my Seagate portable drive packed in. The Joggler had enough juice to power the Seagate through the unpowered hub, but my new replacement Samsung needs a little bit more oomph.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

gegs wrote:I was running exclusively from an unpowered hub until the tail end of last year when my Seagate portable drive packed in. The Joggler had enough juice to power the Seagate through the unpowered hub, but my new replacement Samsung needs a little bit more oomph.
Nice work on those diags Gegs , post back please after / if you try removing the power pin .

Can you remember what model your Seagate was , just to look up the specs so when i order a portable hdd i will try to get a one with similar power requirements :D it would be nice not to have the powered hub .

Happy Joggling
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

hawsey wrote:Can you remember what model your Seagate was...
It was a 250 gig Seagate Expansion Portable like this http://www.seagate.com/www/en-gb/produc ... _portable/. I think higher capacity models might need a powered hub.
pete

Post by pete »

You can also get a small ZIF 1.8" drive. Mine worked fine with just plugging it into the side port on the Joggler. Initially I tested it on a barebone board. I found some cheap cases with mini USB connectors on them for about $2 USD on Ebay and just put it inside there so I would trash the drive.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Tonight tested the USB Gear 7 port powered hub with the Joggler. (using Dan's mini 2003 on a 4 Gb USB stick)
It sells for $49.99 USD

It does not "juice" the Joggler.

Its seven ports are labeled 0-6. The USB stick OS only booted on port 3 (port 4 on the Digi Hub).

It appears very well constructed. I can take pictures if you guys want me to.

It was packaged well. It came with:

- Power supply
- USB cable
- 4 page documentation

I was looking for an inexpensive refurbished multiport Digi USB 2.0 powered hub last week and didn't find any. This is a suitable new replacement for the Digi 2.0 multiport hub. (unless I find Digi USB 2.0 hub for $50).
- Pete

Auto mater
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Or you could strip the cable somewhere along it's length and cut just the red wire, which assuming the cable follows the USB colour standard, is the +5v.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

http://www.premone.net/cable-non-powered-usb-5-0m.html Quickest of quick google searches....

Non powered usb cable??? Obviously needs some fine tuning to find one withe correct terminals but ...
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Has anyone tried cutting the power cable on one of these "white screen" powered hubs yet?
I bought a poundland hub the other day which wouldn't boot the joggler so I replaced the crappy cable which comes with it with a sooper dooper one to see if that made a difference, it didn't lol.
It intrigues me as to why my wilko trust hub only boots on port 4 etc
Think we could do with an electronics whizz kid on here :-)
Happy Joggling
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

I wonder if it is possible to get a USB A plug to A socket adaptor that would only have the data lines and ground connected inside ? This would then mean that you would have to have the hub powered at any time you wanted to use it with the adaptor. Otherwise just remove the adaptor and the power from the Joggler will flow... [to the hub]

Another possibility is to put a diode into the powered hub, so that current cannot flow back into the Joggler from the hub power supply. See :

Upgrade Your USB Hub Circuit Diagram
http://www.extremecircuits.net/2012/02/ ... b-hub.html
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

hawsey wrote:It intrigues me as to why my wilko trust hub only boots on port 4 etc
Think we could do with an electronics whizz kid on here :-)
Good ol' Wilko. Yeah port 4 only... it's wierd. It doesn't seem like it's anything like the hub not reporting the connected devices in time for the boot to get going as a keyboard connected to the other ports is fine. Only having one bootable port is useful however if you have 2 flash sticks, one for the EFI & OS, the other for the page file. I ran like that for a while until I got more Jogglers than I have flash sticks. :D
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Its something to do with a direct pass through apparently, according to a friend who makes robots! lol
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

When experimenting with the 1 pound hub , i chopped off all the spare cable and made it real short , as in my previous post , it did not seem to boot however i later discovered if i left it ages , Android 1.2.3 image started to boot , got so far then stopped ; unfortunately this buggered up my Android build so beware he he he .
Hmm Direct pass will have to google that
It could be that the hubs are getting too much power maybee ?
has anyone got a few spare to daisy chain to see if that works i think up to 127 or something crazy like that is possible .
So I just tried my wilko trust hub with known working port 4 with the pound one plugged in to port 4 to see if it would create four more bootable ports ......it didn't lol
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

I think the whole port #4 thing is related to just what the USB ports get automatically configured when first seen by the Joggler and the USB port automatic renumbering and boot sequence seen in the EFI partition. Consequently when the USB ports get renumbered automatically then the boot partition number might change. This is only a guess and mostly just speculation at this time. I've seen exactly the same with multiple 4 and 7 port hubs; powered or non powered.
- Pete

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

I finally got around to removing the power pins from a spare A to B USB lead and trying it out with my "powered" hub - but everything connected by USB failed. It seems that the hub wasn't drawing juice from the power adapter at all but from the Joggler itself, hence the failure when I pulled the power pins.

My last unpowered hub wouldn't fire up my new Samsung portable drive but this one does. The only difference between them is the USB connection. My last hub was hard wired to the lead with a USB type A connector attached to the Joggler. My present one has a separate USB lead with a USB type A connector to the Joggler and a type B connector to the hub.

My new hub now can run my Samsung portable drive, a USB soundcard, USB powered speakers and a Bluetooth receiver for a wireless mouse - all unpowered by anything but the Joggler. I have more available ports but more than 4 devices probably wouldn't work without additional external power; I haven't tried though.
danb79

Post by danb79 »

i run my non powerd hub by taking power from the joggler motherboard to the hub and bypassing usb power,i only have the data running to joggler usb socket i will try to post pic
there are two main problems
1st some powerd usb hubs have bad power control as gegs has found and suck power from the joggler others my even kill the joggler by powering INTO the joggler
2nd the jogglers usb has poor current draw and can only in reality run a single device!
gegs

Post by gegs »

danb79 wrote:... the jogglers usb has poor current draw and can only in reality run a single device!
My unpowered hub (i.e. it only draws power from the Joggler's side USB port) fires a Samsung portable drive, a USB soundcard, USB powered speakers and a Bluetooth receiver simultaneously. Did you mean a single hard drive?
gegs

Post by gegs »

It looks as if the final word on the Joggler's USB juice is here:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=4&t=489