Using a 5VDC 2.5 AMP POE injector with Joggler

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

Using a 5VDC 2.5 AMP POE injector with Joggler

Post by pete »

Looking to start to test the Joggler with a networked power injector.

Found one which provides 2.5 AMPs of 5VDC power which might work and wondering if anyone has tried using something smaller than the 4AMP 5VDC included power supply?

Most if not all of the networked devices in the house are on UPS these days. Using a power injectory from the networked patch panel would provide 24/7 UPS power via injector to my Jogglers.

I have some flavors of various injectors today here and found an online POE injector calculator along with a "passive" POE injector.
Attachments
PPOE-SET.jpg
PPOE-SET.jpg (25.65 KiB) Viewed 17942 times
5VDC-3AMP.jpg
Last edited by pete on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Re: Using a 5VDC 2 AMP POE injector with Joggler

Post by pete »

This morning tested a D-Link DWL P-200 POE that I had sitting around. It uses a standard 48V connection with an end connection of 12VDC at 1 AMP or 5 VDC at 2.5 amps. I tried this morning with a short run of 20 feet (~6 meters).
The description/specs indicate that it will work at 100 meters.

This setup might work better because its at 48 Volts versus using a passive injector with just the 5VDC 4 AMP PS.

Worked fine with the Joggler. The 5VDC power barrel connector on the distant end of the POE injector fits the power connector on the Joggler.

Next test will be the a 75 foot (25 meters) or so run to the master bedroom Joggler after a day or so.

Ordered two passive injectors for next test.

Noticed that the distal end of the d-link is getting warm. (hot). I have had one burn up before so ordered one of these instead which would work with a standard POE (48V) switch. Maybe better quality than the D-Link.

http://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=POE-5S-AFI
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Re: Using a 5VDC 2.5 AMP POE injector with Joggler

Post by pete »

Ordered two different PoE power splitters this morning which are standard for 48V POE switches types.

You really have to search for good prices as the two below varied up to $60 each at some stores.

One of them is a TP-Link which I found for less than $20 USD.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... =TL-POE10R

Another one is a Laird which I found for less than $25 USD.

http://www.lairdtech.com/NewsItem.aspx?id=4705
- Pete

Auto mater
manxam

Post by manxam »

Thanks for sharing your experiences Pete. It looks as though the TP-Link only works with input voltages of 5-12 volts so I wouldn't test it with your 48V switch. The laird unit looks perfectly acceptable though.

Also, the D-Link unit that you're using has a max input voltage of 15V. If you're using it along with a Cisco or other 48V switch you're also likely to have problems. If this is the case, it may be the reason your D-link is warm.. Ask me how I know :)

Lemme know how it works out as I suspect I'll be doing the same shortly.

Cheers,
M
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks manxam,

Other than the little PoE injectors I've been using; my only experience has been with Cisco switches / PoE's for AP's/VOIP phones.

I have a a Gb TP-Link switch; not PoE though; its been working well for about a year now.

Not really many less than $30 USD PoE splitters out there. Prices are all over the place. Purchased these two for around $22 USD. Most of them with similiar or same specs were greater than $50 USD.

The TP-Link (per manual):
The PoE Splitter fully complies with IEEE 802.3af standard, and can work with all IEEE 802.3af PoE compliant PSE (Power Source
Equipment) or PoE Injector, such as TP-LINK’s TL-SF1008P or TL-POE150S, to deliver 12V, 9V or 5V Direct Current to the
device which do not support PoE.
The input voltage on the D-Link is 48V; but I wasn't going to try this one on the Cisco switch. One has burned up using it with an AP.
It continues to run pretty warm though. (too warm for me to continue to utilize it). The output is supposed to be 5VDC/2.5Amps/12.5watts

Specs though indicate that that splitter is also 802.3af compliant.
The DWL-P50 is simple to install and requires no tools or software. Multiple DWL-P50 terminal units complement any PoE injector unit or midspan switch to provide small to medium business settings a complete end-to-end PoE solution. In addition, this unit supports 802.3af ensuring compatibility with other 802.3af PoE compliant injector units or midspan switches.
Looking to shift all the PoE devices on the network though to standard PoE using the Cisco Switch. Using the 48V standard; the loss of voltage is different somewhat than passing the 5V down the line. Also playing with doing this for the IP cameras on line. So far first "tests" has been to just provide a 16 guage power line to a keystone jack with a barrel connector. I don't know if I want to bury the PoE splitter in the wall before it gets to the keystone jack or just leave it outside of the keystone jack to the camera. With a touchscreen in the wall its totally different. I still am hestitate about burying stuff (even low voltage) in a wall.
Attachments
5VDC-3AMP.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Received both of the power spitters today. Two days delivery. Very quick.

TP-Link power splitter smaller with a switch for the three voltages and it's 5V output is 2 AMPS.

The Laird power splitter is a bit larger dedicated to 5 V at 2.4 AMPs.

What 's good too about connecting it to the Cisco PoE switch is that I'll be able to see the draw of the Joggler power splitter in watts.

FYI - Relating to the Cisco PoE switch; purchased a refurbished one for $50 USD here in the US. Putting the switch on a UPS will provide 24/7 power to the Jogglers. I have 6 PoE injectors in place (48V) and will move these devices over to the switch while I am at it.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Tested TP-Link power splitter over the last day or do. It doesn't get warm at all. Initial testing is with a standard AP POE injector.

Found out that my Cisco switch is an in line power switch which is pre PoE standards. That said it works with Cisco AP's and VOIP telephones but not anything today which is standard PoE.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Patched over Joggler #2 in the master bedroom to the PoE injector with the TP-Link. Working well. Might go with these instead of the Laird power splitters because I can get these for $13 USD versus over $20 USD for the Laird power splitters.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Testing two PoE mini switches. One low cost one an Airlink SW408POE which has 4 PoE ports and 4 regular ports. It was $40 USD. Very robust looking with a large power supply proving .8 Amps of 48Volts to the switch. The other one is a high power Tycon PoE switch. This one is a bit more at around $180 USD. Its kind of a 802.3at and 802.3af switch and "should" let me do Gb.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

The TP-Link PoE power splitters have the smaller footprint so will be using these instead. The Laird power splitters have a home brew build look about them at about twice the size of the TP-Link PoE power splitters. The Laird power splitters also have integrated network cable and power out cable versus the modular TP-Link with just a network port and barrel connector. Lately been switching all of the APC UPS's to Cyberpower 1500 UPS's and most likely will get one dedicated to the PoE switches.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Now that two Jogglers have done fine with the PoE splitters; next adding two more Jogglers to have a total of 4 running via PoE. Ordered two more of the TP-Link PoE power splitters. Nice compact size and very modular. Today the two Jogglers are on an Airlink408POE switch. This is just an 8 port switch with 4 PoE ports on it with a 48V .8 AMP power supply. I did order a new Tycon Power 8 port PoE switch which will do 8 ports of PoE and most likely will switch over to this one instead of using the Airlink. BTW the Airlink was around $40 USD where as the Tycon Power 8 port PoE switch is closer to $200 USD.
- Pete

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

Thanks for keeping us up to date with this project. I didn't even know what PoE was until recently so I'm finding your posts very educational.
pete

Post by pete »

No problem gegs. I use my Jogglers with direct network connections to switches. Using PoE; you would be able to connect your Joggler to one wire; I mean you already have to supply power to Joggler; why not both power and network; and a UPS for the switch while at it.
- Pete

Auto mater
DaveJoggler

Post by DaveJoggler »

Good work Pete. UPS?! you really don't want to be without your Jogglers do you! ;)

Have you got a feel now as to how much current a Joggler needs, for reliable booting, full backlight brightness etc
Thinking about driving one from a DC-DC convertor and wondering if it needs to be spec'ed for the full 4A?
pete

Post by pete »

So far the outputs are rated at up to 2.5 AMPs on the PoE switches. Not seeing any issues with booting the Jogglers so far. I'm guessing the draw is less than the 2.5 AMPs at full brightness; although it would be nice to get detailed numbers.

I have both digital and analogue multimeters. One has an amp probe but I've never used it for DC measurements; just AC. Will give it a try.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I found a double sided coaxial cable that I am taking apart today. I guess in order to use the amperage clamp I need to separate the power cables and only clamp around one of them. That is one way to measure amperage draw. Another way is to utilize a circuit and to use the leads of the multimeter having the power flow from one lead to another via the meter itself and measure the flow that way.

On of the tests though that I have been doing with just two PoE connected Jogglers is remotely turning on the screens to bright in the morning after remotely powering off the backlights every night; both at the same time. (a surge per say on the PoE switch). Ordered more of the TP-Link PoE splitters and will do a similiar test with 4 Jogglers PoE connected to one PoE switch in the next few days.

Some also mentioned the use of PoE injectors such that 5VDC could be injected into the Cat5E cable. This will work but your voltage loss would be greater (see chart) than using 48VDC (standard) and converting it to 5VDC on the other side (depending on the length of the cable).
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Using this PoE calculator; here are some numbers to get 5VDC across some 30 meters via Cat5E using the PoE standards above.

http://blog.fosketts.net/toolbox/power- ... alculator/

Here's a DIY on some PoE stuff. Its relatively inexpensive as a DIY project.

http://nycwireless.net/projects/poe-pow ... -ethernet/
Attachments
calculator.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I received the Tycon Power PoE switch yesterday. It came with a DIN connector. Very utility looking. It came with a 48VDC 1.4 AMP power supply which should be fine for connecting at least 4 Jogglers. The TP-Link PoE switch came with a .8 AMP 48VDC power supply. It is getting a bit warm with two Jogglers on it.

Looks like the Tycon Power PoE switch allows for two PS's such that I could add a second 48VDC 1.2 AMP brick to it. I ordered more of the TP-Link PoE power splitters last week cuz I like their footprint a bit better than the Laird ones (which have a homebrew built look to them).
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Decided instead to go with the 8 port Tycon Power PoE switch for said PoE endeavor.
- Pete

Auto mater
Commodore.White

Post by Commodore.White »

Presumably I can do the same with banggood boost converters injecting power at the router end and buck converters at the joggler. It would be nice to free up a power socket! Most el-cheapo boost/buck converters can deliver 3A AFAIK.

Regards