Solder header onto Joggler PATA port

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
gxb1011

Re: Solder header onto Joggler PATA port

Post by gxb1011 »

pete wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:03 pm 1, Does it work?
Yes.
https://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Adding_a_PATA_port

2, the zif cable and socket is 0.5mm size, right?

It is a standard 40 pin zif cable and the ends were flipped that I am using.

3, if I can install squeezeplayOS with this SSD installed?

Yes. I have to check my Ubuntu / SSD Openpeak. Modded it with an RTC clock.

4, any other work I need to do ?

no.

5, you mentioned Realtek chip, do you mean the EF chip? Or the sound card or lab card?

The Realtek NIC chip has no MAC on it. You have to reprogram it.
Pete, thanks for so quick reply. Sorry my English is not that good, here what does flipped mean? I don’t understand.

Modded RTC clock? Here means you just improved your SqueezeplayOS or it is must to do to use this zif SSD? But anyway I would appreciate if you can provide me a instruction since I trust you won’t do anything unnecessary or having no improvement.

Also since I am going to install sqpOS on this zif SSD instead of onboard emmc, how could I ensure it during installation? Anything I need to mod?

Realtek NIC is the wifi card attached to internal USB port, I read a thread about it, but right now it is not a issue for me since I use only wire.

Thanks again
pete

Post by pete »

what does flipped mean?

The exposed end of the ZIF cable is opposite from end to end.

Just noticed that the cables are here on Amazon and they are the correct length.
Flipped Zif.jpg
Here is a link to Amazon for the cables if you can get to it.

I guess they are also called Type B ZIF cables.

Xiaoyztan 40 Pin Flexible Flat Ribbon Cable 0.5mm Pitch FFC FPC for LCD TV Car Audio DVD Player Laptop (200mm Length, Pack of 20Pcs)

https://www.amazon.com/Yootop-Flexible- ... _ci_mcx_mi

Modded RTC clock?

Just to have a built in clock as the O2 Joggler has no battery on its clock.

Not sure if the WLAN USB stick is a Realtek device. The internal Gb port / NIC is a Realtek device.

You can always just write the Squeeze player OS to a USB stick then image that stick to the SSD card...then edit the FSTAB to mount the SSD instead of the USB. The old Squeezeplayer script only writes to a USB stick or an eMMC internal drive. You can also remove the internal WLAN USB stick and install the stick inside of the Joggler if you want.

On the larger Jogglers (ones with the speakers in front) there are traces for a micro SD card socket.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gxb1011

Post by gxb1011 »

Pete, know I know what flipped means. On this case, just two ends have conductive pins on opposite sides. It is easy to have in China since all made here. hahaha......
Just to have a built in clock as the O2 Joggler has no battery on its clock.
Could you instruct me how to do this?
The internal Gb port / NIC is a Realtek device.
Understood. But I can see mac address on sqpOS installed joggler network info, does it sloved by the OS itself?
then edit the FSTAB to mount the SSD instead of the USB.
I assume it is also ok to edit the FSTAB to mount the SSD insteand of the internal emmc, right? And I should edit the FSTAB in sqpOS install file, correct?
pete

Post by pete »

Could you instruct me how to do this?

Here are some pictures of the RTC add.

viewtopic.php?p=30845#p30845

Implementation using I2C bus - tiny wires soldering with hot melt glue over wires to hold them in place.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2306&p=25248&hilit=RTC+clock#p25248

The concerns when doing this was finding a small enough RTC clock to fit on the top left hand side of the Joggler.

Understood. But I can see mac address on sqpOS installed joggler network info, does it sloved by the OS itself?

The OS generates a MAC address.

This link and included software writes to the Realtek chip using Seabios. After this implementation you can suspend and wake up the Joggler if using the Ethernet port.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akj-Oin7_x0rgZJCOCP ... A?e=Gwpvok

I assume it is also ok to edit the FSTAB to mount the SSD insteand of the internal emmc, right? And I should edit the FSTAB in sqpOS install file, correct?

I edit the FSTAB file using an Ubuntu / Linux boot USB stick and mounted OS on the SSD post image copy.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gxb1011

Post by gxb1011 »

Thanks Pete
Here are some pictures of the RTC add.

viewtopic.php?p=30845#p30845
I didnot see the RTC on picture.
pete

Post by pete »

It is under the WLAN USB stick. 4 wires +VCC, Ground and I2C wires to chip.
- Pete

Auto mater