eeePC 701 LCD

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
munchausen

eeePC 701 LCD

Post by munchausen »

Hello (first post!)

I picked up a broken joggler for a fiver on ebay last week. I happened to have an eeePC 701 LCD along with a VGA/composite driver board for it going to waste here, and hoped that I might be able to shoehorn it in to the quite attractive joggler case (eventually hopefully with a raspberry pi in there as well). With a bit of finagling it's a pretty much perfect fit.
p1000280.jpg
First I removed the existing LCD, initially leaving the front metal bracket of the joggler LCD attached to the touch screen, as its glued quite firmly to it. To do this I worked my way around the LCD bracket with a very fine flat head screwdriver, separating it, and then it more-or-less just dropped out. Then I got that remaining metal bracket out using pliers to work my way along. Unfortunately this destroys the bracket as it really doesn't want to come off. Before putting the eeePC LCD in I also removed its front bracket, as it reduces its dimensions by just enough that it aligns properly with the black borders around touch screen. After that it just slides in, for the moment I've stuck a bit of cardboard on one side to keep it aligned properly.
p1000282.jpg
Unfortunately the LCD cable is in the exact same place as one of the touch screen cables, and the LCD driver board has a bunch of capacitors that raise its height by enough that it isn't possible to put the touch screen board on top of the LCD driver board. However, I've seen a driver board that is much slimmer, which should do the trick.

Once I'm happy with the display and touch screen I'll try to hook up a pi fairly neatly so that it can use all the original joggler sockets, and put a small amp in there to drive the speakers.

Anyway, hope this might be of interest to some of you!
Man in a van

Re: eeePC 701 LCD

Post by Man in a van »

Welcom to the fourum, and a corker of a first post. :o

I'll be watching with interest (and a lot of skill envy ;) ).

Ronnie
pete

Post by pete »

Very nice!!!!

Let us know how your RPi - eeePC project goes.

Here have kept my old eeePCs intact but they are way slow now these days. Connecting to an RPi will be faster.

Been using the RPi's for a variety of little projects here. Slowly here over the last couple of years moved the RPi server functions over to the Pine64 2Gb computer mostly cuz I wanted to run Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit which it does well. Newest endeavor is using Rock64 which is the same size as the RPi3 BUT it has 4Gb of internal RAM and can use a drop in eMMC chip rather than the micro SD card.

Note this is more related to server functions rather than doing video stuff as the Pine64 / Rock64 video sucks and not usable really for a KODI box. Relating to KODI boxes though went to using micro Intel boxes and Ubuntu rather than Android ARM boxes.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
munchausen

Post by munchausen »

Thanks for the nice comments! There isn't much skill to this, just a willingness to pull things apart and try to stick them back together a bit differently!

I still have the rest of the eeepc in perfect condition, I just have no use for it now. I've got a newer asus that also sees no use, and a totally pimped out sony vaio p series. The P is a GMA500 machine like the joggler, which is what has stopped me getting a joggler until now. Even though I love the form factor, GMA500 is just too much pain, and although I have got ubuntu 16.04 running pretty well on the P that is partly down to a broadcom crystal HD mini PCIe video decoder card.

I was going to put a pi 3 in as it seems to be in a nice place in terms of raw horsepower, graphics, price and ongoing support for Linux. RAM is a bit of a problem, and if there was something with good graphics, more RAM and decent mainline Linux I'd be there .. an equivalent x86 board that doesn't cost much more would be great, but I haven't seen one. Or a cheap snapdragon board with a few GB RAM. I have a toradex apalis t30 2GB with a carrier board, but the mainline Linux support is not great (no video decoding for example) and nvidia stopped releasing new kernels.

I need to order a load of bits and pieces now, when they arrive I'll get back on this and get over here with an update...
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

munchausen wrote:Thanks for the nice comments! There isn't much skill to this, just a willingness to pull things apart and try to stick them back together a bit differently!

I still have the rest of the eeepc in perfect condition, I just have no use for it now. I've got a newer asus that also sees no use, and a totally pimped out sony vaio p series. The P is a GMA500 machine like the joggler, which is what has stopped me getting a joggler until now. Even though I love the form factor, GMA500 is just too much pain, and although I have got ubuntu 16.04 running pretty well on the P that is partly down to a broadcom crystal HD mini PCIe video decoder card.

I was going to put a pi 3 in as it seems to be in a nice place in terms of raw horsepower, graphics, price and ongoing support for Linux. RAM is a bit of a problem, and if there was something with good graphics, more RAM and decent mainline Linux I'd be there .. an equivalent x86 board that doesn't cost much more would be great, but I haven't seen one. Or a cheap snapdragon board with a few GB RAM. I have a toradex apalis t30 2GB with a carrier board, but the mainline Linux support is not great (no video decoding for example) and nvidia stopped releasing new kernels.

I need to order a load of bits and pieces now, when they arrive I'll get back on this and get over here with an update...
Welcome Munchausen , brill first post even if it does involve a canabalised Joggler ;-) .
I can't believe it , I just sold a eeePc 900 screen the other week on eBay , this would have been a great use .
I looked in to boards to get the Joggler screen working on a Pi or Zero but with no luck .

I did get Retropie booting off Xubuntu on the Joggler but it failed at the Graphic drivers or something like that so I gave up .:-(
Good luck with your project and keep us posted .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling