Best USB stick for Joggler?

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
jim_lewis1

Re: Best USB stick for Joggler?

Post by jim_lewis1 »

It's just mind boggling the capacity/performance versus size they're able to achieve now. And the cost just keeps coming down. Remarkable.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Happy Joggling
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Just had a SanDisk one die on me - purchased towards the end of last year or so

Will need a couple more as soon as there is another deal.

Not sure if I just got unlucky or they don't handle constant use that well. Shall find out I guess. I shouldn't have bought it from ebay, as I could have returned it more easily if purchased from an online store. I have sent a request for a replacement anyway - should have a 5 year warranty.
pete

Post by pete »

Here I have started to play with microSD cards using them for the new RPi.

Purchased a few 16Gb newer fast ones. Will give one a try on the Joggler.

I just built a new NAS box using one (Free4NAS) and it appears to be pretty quick.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

pete wrote:Here I have started to play with microSD cards using them for the new RPi.
Purchased a few 16Gb newer fast ones.

Will give one a try on the Joggler.
I just built a new NAS box using one (Free4NAS) and it appears to be pretty quick.
Hi Pete;
do I understand correctly? You build a NAS box with a Joggler?
Or with a RPi?
If with a Joggler: Could you give more details? I.e. how to hook up the SATA drives.....
I would be very interested.

Thanks and all the best.
Heiner
pete

Post by pete »

No

Just tested a BSD boot microSD card in a AMD E350-Hudson motherboard / LSI9240 / 8 drive NAS
nas.jpeg
nas.jpeg (5.79 KiB) Viewed 43152 times
I have been rebuilding my NAS.

I have purchased a few of the newer faster microSD cards and was going to try a comparison between the new USB sticks and microSD booting on the Joggler.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Saw this today on HUKD :

http://www.7dayshop.com/products/grixx- ... B64GBALUU3

£12.99 for a 64 GB usb 3 stick, with free delivery. Seems to have a reasonable speed too. So should hopefully max out the Joggler's usb 2 !

HUKD page is :

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/64-gb-u ... op-2225765

Also, its been stated that you can get cashback to, so worth checking TCB, Quidco, et al.

I think this sort of size is great if you have storage requirements - like a media library.

I've been thinking for some time that it would be good to have separate partitions on a stick so I could have say a recovery/backup partition that I could boot into to image other partitions on the stick, a media/regular use partition, a hacking/tinkering partition and then a data partition. Or some thing similar. I would imagine that GRUN would let me do this, I'd just need one swap partition, then I could just create partitions for the rest and put an appropriate file system into each system partition and leave the data partition, which could be shared between all the system partitions. So this would be a joggler multi-boot.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Sandisk ultra fit £6.25 for 16 gig great for just messing with builds

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/400948943862?rm ... noapp=true
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

@Heiner

BTW my current NAS4Free box boots up and runs in RAM from a 32 GB SSD drive. Base RAM is at 16Gb. Not sure if you could really do this with the Joggler.

I am doing a "lite" USB stick thing with the CarPCs that tap in to the IBus of the automobile. I put a USB port in the front of the automobile. The carpc's are Intel Atom based. The "box" and "software" from Germany emulates an IBus device that I see on the front display.

That said this is way off the original post of what is the best USB stick for the Joggler. I just here went to a PATA port SSD which doesn't sit on the USB bus in the Joggler.

I did at one time build a base NAS on the Pogo Plug (Seagate Dockstar) which worked fine for me many many years ago and I only utilized the USB ports on the device. Using Dockstar Debian at the time.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Toshiba 500gig mini HDD for £25 this looks like it would be great to use either to boot an OS from or as storage tucked around the back of the Joggler

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=75d ... cd5655fabe
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

£14.99 for the 64 Gb ultra fit ,at Argos local pick up , plenty in stock at my local Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product ... ogId=10001
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

http://www.picstop.co.uk/computing/usb- ... ource=awin
The Argos ones are up to 20 now but these are £15.49 can't speak for the company though never used them :-)
Happy Joggling
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

Wasn't that long ago you paid that for 64MB. In fact, I'm not sure you could even get 64MB sticks when they first came out.
Reminds me that I paid an extra £100 to get RAM upgrade from 4 to 8MB on my first desktop PC. It was so expensive, it was the family's chrimbo present from everybody to everybody. LOL
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Jaydee999 you must be really old 8-) .
Unfortunately for me I am too , I had a ZX Spectrum and can remember buying the 16 k model ( yes you read right ) it was £125 but quickly needed to buy a 32 k ram pack which cost £40 , don't know how much that would be now lol , the thing is the programmers only had 16 or 48 k to play with but made some really amazing games and even tools for the Speccy
uploadfromtaptalk1442647190134.png
Happy Joggling
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

16k rampacks.. Phwooar...
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ha ha , I can remember at the time saying to friends there isn't any way they could fill up 48k with a Game :-)
Oh and Ram Pack wobble that was a killer , anyone remember that
Happy Joggling
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Yeh lol - I used to have a few peripherals sticking out the back of my speccy (interface 1, multiface one, joystick interface) - the slightest knock and it was all over!
jaydee999

Post by jaydee999 »

My brother-in-law, as he is now, had that machine. Playing Jet Pack Willy made the trips to the in-laws bearable. LOL.
My body is old, hawsey, but my mind is still young. That's the main thing.