newbie want to steam napster to hifi

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
kwmason

newbie want to steam napster to hifi

Post by kwmason »

Hi,
sorry if this has been covered many times but I have just purchassed a joggler with the intention of it being a cheap squeezebox touch to stream from my napster account to my hifi.

it alreaddy has squezebox software installed but when i try and play something it says it cant play the file type?

the other issues I have is that when i can get any sound out from other options I need the hi-fi turned almost up full to hear it causing the background hiss to be too much.

and finally it had a couple of option on screen to view the internet using opera but they have disappeared somehow.

its all new to me so my level of competence with modifications to a joggler is zero - although i did manage to check the volume was turned up and i set up my napster account ok so im not stupid.

help please as if i cant get this to work i may have to sheell out for a squeezebox which is a fortune
gegs

Re: newbie want to steam napster to hifi

Post by gegs »

Napster streams in WMA which isn't supported by this linux version of Squeezeplay (I'd love somebody to prove me wrong on this). I use Spotify instead.

Please read the forums before posting questions. The search facility is pretty good and should help you find what you're after.
I've posted a few times on using a USB soundcard and sending digital sound by S/PDIF to my amplifier (much better quality than the internal sound device). I don't know if I've got the energy to do it all again but you should find the info searching for "USB sound" or by clicking on my name on this post then choosing "Search user's posts".

The issue of disappearing icons has also been covered in the forums and you should be able to find an answer using 'search'.
kwmason

Post by kwmason »

point taken re checking via search. so if i close my napster account and open a spotify one it should stream?
gegs

Post by gegs »

Squeezebox have an official Spotify plugin but I've never been able to get it to work. You can install Triode's Spotify plugin on Squeezebox Server - that's what I use and it's great.

I've mentioned how to enable Triode's Spotify plugin on this thread:
http://bit.ly/oXt2Nt

Note my comment on the thread about ticking the box to allow 3rd party plugins; Triode's Spotify won't show up otherwise. It only works with a Spotify Premium account, currently £9.99 a month. The £4.99 Unlimited account doesn't work with the Squeezeplay plugin.

(EDIT - I initially pasted the wrong URL on this post; I had a couple of tabs open and chose the wrong one. The relevant stuff is about half-way down the page.)