SSD £24.99 for Joggler ?

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
hawsey

SSD £24.99 for Joggler ?

Post by hawsey »

These SSD drives are really cheap , i am thinking they might work well for the Joggler with an adapter cable , probs too big for internal install but would fit round the back

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G ... g=ho01f-21
Xgeek® 5Gbps USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Adapter Cable Cord With USB Power cable For SSD / HHD - Works with Samsung, Toshiba, Seagate, WD, Western Union, Crucial, SanDisk, Kingston, Hitachi
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZWVORDI/ ... exb2NDB6B4

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Happy Joggling
pete

Re: SSD £24.99 for Joggler ?

Post by pete »

The bottleneck here is the Joggler's USB port and RW speeds and if you are using the USB port to boot an OS.

A PATA connection is different on the Joggler (Openframe). It never gets disconnected.

Here experimenting in the last couple of days with a tiny USB drive inside of the Joggler. For the time bean using a 16Gb main PATA boot drive and moving files around between the MMC drive and the USB stick inside of the Joggler. Noticed that my /home directory is 6Gb's and have run of of space on the 16Gb SSD.

While I have an extra USB port wired inside of my test Joggler I do not have room now because I also have an RTC board wired to the Joggler and because of the RTC battery I can fit it but it now uses up much of the space to the left of the motherboard.

If this doesn't work then will just use the new 64Gb SSD which I was hoping to use for multi boot OS thing.

You can now also purchase USB to m.2 SATA cards and an m.2 SATA drive is really cheap these days.

- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

So do you think the ssd and adapter cable will not work well as a boot drive ?
If the USB on the Joggler was maxed out using one of these or something like the Kingspec you and Mick use that would be good?
I don't have Pata on any of my Jogglers.

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

So do you think the ssd and adapter cable will not work well as a boot drive ?

It will work BUT....

historically I have always seen the Joggler power off and power on the USB port when booting. This can cause havoc.

Once the OS is already booted and running it is then an issue of the USB port RW ing and top end RW ing of the media.

I too have noticed some Ebay rhetoric verbiage utilized stating SSD when in fact in truth it is not SSD. It is SSD like.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater