Pata ssd drive to fit joggler

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
mickchip

Pata ssd drive to fit joggler

Post by mickchip »

Just found this on ebay and sent for one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111635400849? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
32gb SSD
32gb SSD
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Re: Pata ssd drive to fit joggler

Post by hawsey »

Good deal , are you fitting a pata port on your Joggler to fit this or some sort of USB to pata cable ?

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Will be fitting one to my OP2 when I've finished the decorating at home.
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ahh , no rest for the wicked , know the feeling :-) thought you meant standard Joggler , Pete's fitted a Pata to a standard Joggler though ....

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

So you are soldering on a PATA port clip to your OP2 eh Mickchip? This one looks bigger than the other SSD PATA drives.

Here mount the 16Gb SSD drives now over the USB WLAN stick using a very long flip ZIF cable. IE: I fold it and it goes across the motherboard to the open side. I can't find blue to blue lately so have gone to using blue to white flipped cables. I use a piece of scotch tape to make the end thicker. I just trim the excess tape off with a razor blade.

I tried here to solder a PATA port clip on my test OP2 board (out of the case test board) and it will not recognize my 16Gb SSD drives. I have tested it pin for pin and it appears to be OK.

Here found a mini pcie 1/2 sized MSata to ZIF card. It worked but it was too thick and the ZIF cable connected on the end of the vertical side of the card versus the middle of the width of the card.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Just found this on ebay, did not realise they made these, they are rather large but could be fitted to the back of the joggler

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291583534333? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
Zif to SDcard
Zif to SDcard
zif_to_sd.jpg (7.15 KiB) Viewed 22053 times
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah here purchased a zif to msata card. It fit inside the Joggler but it was a bit too high.
ziftomsata.gif
ziftomsata.gif (108.08 KiB) Viewed 22044 times
I am hoping soon maybe we would see a .m2 sata to ZIF card maybe?

I am using an m.2 SATA drive on my most current Intel Haswell automation mother ship. The drive is no bigger than my thumb.

Did finally get my 64Gb ZIF SSD drive.

I am out of space now on my Ubuntu Joggler with the 16Gb drive.

It would be nice if I could get it to boot Ubuntu / Wintel using EFI maybe. 32Mb partitions each.

I couldn't get Wintel though to recognize the added RTC to the device.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Just received the pata SSD from Korea, not as big as you thought Pete.
Attachments
20160419_112516.jpg
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Very nice MickChip.

Here my issue with the mSATA ZIF card was the thickness of the board with the mSATA drive. Height and Width were fine. I fit it over the WLAN stick and the LCD clips in to place without pressing much on the LCD. The test Joggler today has an RTC/Battery (very thick) with the SSD ZIF over this device.

Looks like it should fit inside of the Joggler. I use a long 15-20cm flipped ZIF cable. I have not been able to find the blue / blue flipped cables which were the right thickness so went to blue/white flipped cables and put a piece of scotch tape on the white side to make the cable a bit thicker.

You can just do a 90 degree bend on the cable if you want to fit it inside of the Joggler over the Wireless stick. There are also 1.5" ZIF PATA SSD drives out there.

I have yet to try an SD or MicroSD card boot on the Joggler. I know that the PiPoX7 is using MMC and I tested a 32Mb MicroSD for Ubuntu and it worked fine. Same as the RPi2's today. The older SD cards would fail over time. So far I am having good luck with the newer microSD cards here.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Testing W10 right now on a 1.8" 64Gb SSD which works fine for me.
- Pete

Auto mater