Writing a MAC address to Joggler NIC

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

Writing a MAC address to Joggler NIC

Post by pete »

Found a program to write a MAC address to the Joggler, Openpeak or Openpeak 2.

This fix has been tested with the O2 Joggler, Openpeak 1 and 2 devices.

One will be labelled openframe and the other joggler.

Looks to be working with Windows 10.

Will post and detail program, bin and mac stuff.

It is very simple and sees chipset, ids it as a realtek then writes to eprom. Changed mac from Realtek to Openpeak testing a bit.

Tested doing a cold boot in XPe / W10 and it boots fine now with the new mac address and it does see the Realtek NIC Gb fine with no errors.
JogglerNIC.jpg
Note this has to be with a DOS boot disk in Seabios mode.

Did a few more last night. Works great.

Here is the link for the software and boot image.

Updated 10 of October, 2016

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akj-Oin7_x0rgnqe3i3kh_p0l1KA

I have added original O2 Joggler EFI boot roms and divided the software to O2Joggler and Openframe writing.

A big thank-you to Hawsey for testing this out.

Noticed a couple of days ago (on some blog) someone (will not mention names here) wanting to use the jogglers as consoles for his automation software came to me for help relating to the Jogglers stuff a few years back.

I helped. That said I asked in return that he help us and to please offer up any information that he figures out.

Well found out that he found out about this SROM writing and software a couple of years back and never did return here to post anything about it.

I have written him off these days and personally will never endorse or write about the software he uses here or anyplace. (I had other choice words but decided to refrain from posting them.)
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Re: Writing a MAC address to Joggler NIC

Post by pete »

Testing today 10th of January, 2016 writing to the NIC with an EFI booting Ubuntu build on my Openpeak.

Base is running latest Buzz's Ubuntu build on the ZIF PATA port.

Basically just loading up seabios rom, booting up with USB DOS stick with new NIC rom, writing rom, validating ROM mac address, then writing back the EFI boot ROM to the Joggler.

Note: a bit of caution here. If you fat finger this then you will brick your joggler. You can though do a hot swap of the EFI boot rom to fix this and rewrite the old rom to the new one while the Joggler is on.
0 - WRITE USB image to a USB stick. It is a combination boot to DOS stick and has the original ROM and SEABIOS ROM on it.
1 - put coreboot.rom (SeaBIOS (version 1.7.0) on a USB stick
2 - SSH to Ubuntu Joggler
3 - find where the USB stick mounted. (here it was under media).
4 - do an LS to make sure the coreboot.rom file is there
5 - modprobe fh
6 - backup original ROM
7 - dd if=/dev/fh of=joggler.rom bs=1024k
8 - do an LS to make sure that the rom image is on the USB stick.
9 - write the seabios rom to the joggler
10 - dd if=coreboot.rom of=/dev/fh count=1 bs=1024k
11 - reboot
12 - you should see the SeaBios boot now with two F key functions. One F7 and F16 (which is F12).
13 - F7 will let you restore the old EFI original ROM. The name it is looking for is upgrade.rom. Rename the Joggler rom you saved earlier to upgrade.rom
14 - F12 (F16) lets you pick what media you want to boot from. In this case we want to boot up from the DOS boot up stick with the eprom NIC writing software.
15 - boot to USB stick using the F12 function key. You will see it and once booted up you will be at a C prompt.
16 - do a dir and you will see a joggler and openfram directory.
17 - go to the appropriate directory for you device.
18 - IE: cd c:\openfram ==> run pg8168 and it will write a default mac address. Run pg8168 / nodeid mac address and it will write whatever MAC you chose. (NOTE nodeid is just the numbers of the MAC address.
19 - did a quickie looking up of OpenPeak MAC addresses and they are:
80:C8:62 plus whatever other 6 hex values you want to use or
00:50:C2:4A:D0:00/36
20 - decided here to use 80:C8:62:00:00:01
21 - ran the software with no options and it wrote a generic MAC address and whatever else to the eprom.
22 - then ran
program /nodeid macaddress for the OpenPeak mac address
23 - now to write back the old efi boot rom
24 - here I copied the original EFI boot (with OpenPeak logo) back to the USB boot dos stick
25 - read upgrade rom - took a little bit to write the rom back to the efi boot chip
26 - SSH'd to OS and see the mod for mac address:
root@ICS-Ubuntu-Buzz:~# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:63:25:b0:0d:d1
27 - using ethtool to see the original source mac address
root@ICS-Ubuntu-Buzz:~# ethtool -P eth0
Permanent address: 80:c8:62:00:00:01
28 - Buzz spoofs the MAC address here: /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
# This file maintains persistent names for network interfaces.
# See udev(7) for syntax.
#
# Entries are automatically added by the 75-persistent-net-generator.rules
# file; however you are also free to add your own entries.

# PCI device 0x10ec:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.0/0000:01:00.0 (r8168)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:63:25:b0:0d:d1", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", $

29 - google how to remove or disable or edit the rule mentioned above. Note too that base is sitting under /lib/udev/rules.d/*
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Well done Pete , thank you for documenting it for the community here :-)
So what will this be useful for ? I'm sorry but its mostly beyond me .ha ha , I just hang on with my fingertips on this forum at times .
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Hawsey.

The stock Joggler and Openpeak NIC roms were blank with no information on them. When modifying the OS to Ubuntu, Android or Wintel this would cause an issue. Buzz fixed the Linux builds by spoofing a MAC address. Same thing with the Squeezeplayer using the internal NIC.

This was because the original OS did a cloud connection (well and generated a MAC address for O2, Telco or Energy Openpeak devices.

I will include the original boot rom and seabios boot rom on the USB DOS boot disk to make this endeavor a bit easier.

Testing to see if I can wake up Joggler from a suspend state as it is still powered up and now that the realtek NIC has a functional ROM it might work. Doing similiar testing with Wintel 10 and XPe.

An old issue with the Seabios modification was that a cold boot never enabled the NIC port and it would show an error.

Now with wintel a cold boot sees the Realtek nic and its feature set. The program sees it as an 8168C. I do have the rom stuff here for the 8111 Realtek chipset too. It is an old IBM DOS boot editor though and I have to install it first and uncompress the package to get to the 8111 bin file.

You can also change the serial number of the NIC card if you want.

lshw -class network
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:63:25:b0:0d:d1
size: 1Gbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8168 driverversion=8.037.00-NAPI duplex=full ip=192.168.244.203 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
resources: irq:40 ioport:e000(size=256) memory:d0000000-d0000fff memory:fef00000-fef0ffff

ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
MDI-X: Unknown
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
drv probe ifdown ifup
Link detected: yes
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks Pete :-)
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Tested suspend and WOL and both work fine now with the programmed NIC.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

So Pete , to get this working you have to do the SeaBios thing , run the software as you described then take the SeaBios off again , is that right

Would this help the XP images some are using ?
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Yes.

For the XP and XPe (seabios / EFI mode) it will work fine. Same in Linux. The Realtek Gb is blank as sold on the O2 and Openpeak devices.

Do you want to test what I wrote above? It will help some to make sure I wrote it OK. Have you ever written the core.bin file to the EFI boot rom?

Looking to make the image very tiny as it just a dos boot USB stick.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I've got my seaBiosed Joggler the one that boots up with the Shark on screen , you helped me make it , and on a file on my PC somewhere I have a folder for it with two files .
What would I have to do ? It may be beyond me 8-)
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Yes.

PM'd you.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Was too busy tonight to try this out Pete as I went on a gadget bargain hunt to a Supermarket , I've got this to try out first then the W10 stuff :-)
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Yes it fixes Linux and Windows NIC stuff.

The OP2 does have a battery and with the NIC stuff you will be able to suspend and wake up the OP2 just fine in W10.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Works a treat Pete finally gave it a go tonight :-) Cheers, now to try W10.
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Good news hawsey!

Posted the image link for USB stick in OP.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers Pete :-)
Happy Joggling
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

Would this also address the apparent dual ownership issues that pop up from time to time with unknown email addresses being registered on MySqueezeBox.com?

I had a German guy contact me last month to say my email had popped up on his Joggler. Very weird! (phenomenon I mean, the guy seemed very nice).

Losing my email address in the registration setting is something I have to periodically check when my Joggler won't work properly.
pete

Post by pete »

Maybe.

The application and writing to a blank SRom (NIC rom) will create a random Realtek MAC address or one configured in set up files.

Thinking and not sure relating to the Squeeze box stuff and spoofing of MAC addresses and not sure if they are all the same?

Doing a unique MAC would fix this. You will need to modify the mac spoofing parts of the OS though.

Remember that none of the original O2 Jogglers or Openpeak devices ever had an SRom. They were blank on purpose from Openpeak.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Tested Mevi's last USB boot via EFI XP with the fixed NIC and it works well. Next just looking to see if XP sees the new RTC.

Thinking here to modify the XPe configuration I am using such that it utilizes the EFI boot methodology. It is just a couple of files...
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Updated OP getting more granular with the step by step.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

For this to make any difference to an Efi build be it Xp , SqueezePlayOs or Xubuntu etc , does the build itself have to be tweaked in some way I.e does any fake or made up Mac address stuff have to be removed or altered in any way for it to work ?
Saw your edit Pete , at least you worked it out for yourself :-) would have cost nothing for him to come on here and share ....

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Happy Joggling