Looking for a mini PCiE DOM - SSD for an OpenPeak 2(7)

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

Looking for a mini PCiE DOM - SSD for an OpenPeak 2(7)

Post by pete »

Looking to update an Openpeak 7 (or 2?) - the one with the speakers in the front with a mini pcie SSD DOM or SATA card.

I can only find mSATA cards and I am guessing that the mini pcie port on the Openpeak device is just a standard mini pcie port and not an mSATA port.

Any suggestions where to find one. All I can find are mSATA cards.

Personally this would be easier that trying to install a mini pcie sata card and ssd sata drive inside of the device. IE: more compact.

I could then use this SSD SATA drive for Ubuntu or Windows installation.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
nullpointer

Re: Looking for a mini PCiE DOM - SSD for an OpenPeak 2(7)

Post by nullpointer »

Is it possible to boot from pcie port?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KingSpec-Brand- ... XQCgpRv6fY
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Nullpointer.

Ordered what you linked above. Will replace the combo bluetooth / wlan pcie card with an internal USB stick that does the same thing using the USB pins on the top of the motherboard that I have tested to work fine with a Logitech webcam (another modded Openpeak device).

I am guessing with Buzz's new updated Ubuntu kernel; yes.

I have one Openpeak motherboard that I have kept out of the case for testing purposes.

I have been able to just plug in LCD and power combo zif cable plugs and get it working fine.

I have been able to utilize SSD ZIF connected drives just fine with the Openpeak devices. It is a PITA though cuz I have to use a 15cm ZIF cable and lay the SSD driver over the USB wireless card which gets a bit warm.

That said it is the perfect size and fits nicely inside of the device.

There is less play room inside of the Openpeak 2 device as the metal heat sink is much larger than the metal heat sink in the smaller openpeak devices. Note that the Openpeak devices are a bit different than the O2 labeled Joggler devices.

Not sure though that it will boot up XP with the seabios on it.

I have read that these also work in the Asus eeepc's. I still have a 900a and I thought that used an mSATA card in one slot and a wlan card in the pcie slot.

The tablet tabletop bracket removes easily such that you can replace it with a wall hanger and mount the Openpeak on a wall. Having the speakers in the front helps with this stuff.

I have tested the Crystal HD Broadcom mini pcie card for 1080HD and live TV playback and it works very nicely for this.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Trying also here the mini pcie sata card and the pata port on my test Openpeak 2(7).

I soldered the ZIF pata port connector on the motherboard. The connections look clean but it appears that I cannot see the SSD drive; just the ports at this time. It is a different style and wondering if I have been using the correct zif cable with it. I currently have used the flipped zif cables with the stock Openpeak ZIF PATA connector with the pin side up.

The pata port zif connector combination ZIF SSD will have the smallest footprint. Will post some pictures here.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Just an FYI - Tested the Kingspec brand IDE MLC mini PCIE 32 Gb drive last night. No go.

Reading a bit about it and seeing that it is proprietary and is made for the Dell net laptop mini. Folks are writing that it works with an Asus EEEPC.

Next test is a side SATA bracket mini PCIE SATA card. Only thing is that the SATA drives are big. Might try maybe a SATA DOM?
- Pete

Auto mater