Question relating to wireless / wired connection

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

Question relating to wireless / wired connection

Post by pete »

I am looking to modify a Joggler for a combo wireless / wired connection to the internet.

Mostly relating to using the Amazon Echo. I have been looking and playing with the device for automation.

I have been able to test it with a hub emulator talking to my automation mothership and it works well.

I want to connect the Echo wirelessly to the USB wireless stick on the Joggler and use the Joggler on the internet connection as an interface of sorts for the Amazon Echo.

I have multiple configured LANs for testing (well now WANs) on my PFSense firewall.

What software would be recommended to turn the Joggler into a combo AP and internet device?

Base here will be using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Buzz's build) running on an SSD with the original EFI boot stuff.

I did try similiar here with a couple of different USB wireless sticks connected directly to my PFSense firewall. It sort of worked but I couldn't get it to authenticate. Using a DD-WRT router did work but I would prefer to try to do similiar here with the Joggler running Ubuntu 14.04.

Here is a quickie review of my steps.

1 - using base EFI boot rom - keeping the USB WLAN stick inside (stock one) - USB hub which is attached to the Joggler motherboard.
2 - I was using an old USB stick and switched to a fast USB stick
3 - booted to Ubuntu - installed GParted and formated the SSD drive inside.
4 - wrote image to a second fast USB stick - copied image to internal SSD drive one partition at a time.
5 - problem here is that it would lock the internal SSD drive - so will open case; write and edit SSD drive first.
6 - getting the Joggler to boot Linux on the SSD drive - jump starting it via MMC or USB stick.
7 - removed internal USB WLAN stick as it is not compatible with running software for being an AP
8 - replaced with a newer Realtek USB WLAN stick that appears to be fine for AP use.

Stuck here with the Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8191SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter not working in AP mode even though folks have stated that it works fine in AP mode.

Trying to fix the buggy driver in this manner.

1 - sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential dkms git
2 - git clone hxxps://github.com/pvaret/rtl8192cu-fixes.git
3 - sudo dkms add ./rtl8192cu-fixes
4 - sudo dkms install 8192cu/1.10
5 - sudo depmod -a
6 - sudo cp ./rtl8192cu-fixes/blacklist-native-rtl8192.conf /etc/modprobe.d/
7 - reboot Joggler

Found one application called AP-Hotspot that should do the trick.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Re: Question relating to wireless / wired connection

Post by hawsey »

@ Pete , did you get anywhere with Home Automation and the Echo ?
I'm getting one off Santa ( I'm led to believe off a naughty elf ( my son )) Also an Echo Dot , did you find many uses Pete or is it still sat behind your TV gathering dust :-)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Good news Hawsey! You will enjoy the Amazon Echo.

Went to a different firewall. Yes have been using the Amazon Echo. Works great relating to my integration with automation and by itself.

Just got an Samsung Smarthings hub to integrate that with the Amazon Echo and my Leviton Panel which is already integrated to my automation software.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

BTW are you interested in integrating automation with your new Amazon Alexa?

You can today with the Joggler, Amazon Alexa, Smarthings and other wireless automation hubs.

You can install a free program (running in Linux) called Home Genie on the Buzz build of Ubuntu or OpenHab.

I mainly utilize Homeseer here (since 1990's) and today running it on Linux.

I am pete on the Home Genie, Openhab and Homeseer forums.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks Pete , I am really interested in doing this but not sure where to start , baby steps as you say , maybe just some cameras or electric power sockets .
Does Alexa have a GUI ? That the Joggler could be pointed to ?
This is funny , Google Home , Alexa infinity loop
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=uyn3ADtn28A

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Very funny hawsey!

Alexa has a management GUI on Amazon. You do not need it though for VR/TTS. Here I have had Microsoft TTS / kinect talk to an Alexa application without my personal intervention.

For the Joggler you would run automation software with an Amazon Alexa plugin / connection.

You can still today purchase X10 old stuff really cheap (to tinker with) and use an old CM11A via the Joggler to manage it. Or just get a USB Z-Wave stick and plug that in to the Joggler and integrate the software with the Amazon Alexa. IE: with free Home Genie software running on the Joggler - Buzz's build.
- Pete

Auto mater
castalla

Post by castalla »

The holy grail is of course Alexa and LMS integration!

There's a project underway to achieve this - very early stage at the moment.
pete

Post by pete »

Great news Castalla!

That said this morning got a tickle email from PCS Lighting (UPB) about a new UPB network hub developed for the Amazon Alexa.

I utilize UPB powerline as my main lighting controls today.

Here utilize a Squeezebox server running on my MythTV box and it has done well for me.

I look forward to being able to utilize the Amazon Alexa integration to LMS.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Lms Echo sounds great @Castalla , have you a link to the project ?
@Pete , I looked at X10 a while ago but didn't go for it. It looks like some great IOT wireless Home Automation stuff is almost with us :-)

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

We are already almost there now Hawsey...relating to the Echo, Google Home, Smarthings, et al..

X10 power-line and wireless works fine here today. That and you could purchase X10 devices for pennies these days.

Here playing with Leviton Omnipro integration to the Smarthings hub (and Amazon Alexa). A while ago got a bit involved with the Securifi Almond + which is a combo firewall, AP, automation (Zigbee and Z-Wave) device with a touchscreen. I am running/ testing an Alexa app that talks to MS VR/Kinect these days such that you can have the best of those worlds.

I am really not a cloud person and still today prefer to keep my automation home and still today prefer powerline automation over wireless..that is me though.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I see what you mean , also the more wireless devices , the more possible conflicts on the network .
I will have a look in the new year at some of the cheap X10 stuff , it might just do the job for me :-)
Thanks Pete

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Automation for me in the late 1970's was just being able to turn a light switch or appliance on via the computer direct connect or via a telephone line. Amazing feats.

Today the automation world has change with that little smart phone remote control.

The smart phone is just a remote but really provides the user with a sense of power and being a voyeur to their own home while away from it.

The above noted automation itself doesn't need handholding if it is done right. Really you program your front lights to go on 20 minutes after sunset and off at midnight. It happens without your intervention. Amazon Alexa gives text to speech and voice recognition to a new interface. (very AI like).

Ask or tell Alexa to turn on your front light if it is dark, nobody is home and the temperature is 50 degrees and while doing that tell you the weather and news. Most of all skip the typing on Amazon Prime and just tell Alexa what you want to purchase. My wife's cousin got so enamored with Alexa she has forgotten about her husband (she never really did talk with him) these days and only converses with Alexa. Found this out by accident at a funeral when I asked about her family she just mentioned Alexa and said she had left Siri.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ha ha ha , Pete you do make me laugh , nice tale :-)

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Found some old automation software which is free today that was originally written to run on Windows 95.

I tested it on the Joggler with Wine and the Joggler with XP and it runs just fine.

It is basic and not Dependant on the internet to run. Works fine.

The software is called Home Domination
HomeDomination.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Hi Pete

I've used a joggler as an AP many times and in different ways. Most recently was as a long-range wifi repeater. I can use community wifi and i wanted to see how well a cheap 2.4GHz 24+ element beam, worked. I used a TP link WN722 usb wifi dongle with the beam attached for the uplink and the used the stock wifi dongle for the access point. If you do this be mindful of the channels used, ideally the uplink would be on 1 and the AP on say 13 or vice versa. If the uplink and the AP are on the same channel or close, the throughput can reduce significantly. The signal fluctuated significantly and the direct path is not necessarily the best. The last point is interesting. I have some understanding why this is, but seek a better understanding.

Of course having a wired uplink would be far more reliable, and is easier to setup with the methods below.

I did the blacklisting of the default internal wifi driver and used the alternative

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5#p85

In fact I've had no issues at all with the alternate driver and have used it successfully with aircrack.ng

If your using xubuntu desktop 14.04 it's pretty easy to set-up a hot spot, see here :

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ot-ubuntu/

However, when using 14.04 base, which I do most of the time, I've had good results setting up the necessary components manually or using the following script, which does a great job :

https://github.com/oblique/create_ap

HTH
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

This was an old post, with recent comments. Didn't notice the age...

For long range wifi, I found this adapter to be extremely good

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 13484.html

It's possible to find them for less than $10.

Previously I've used a TP-Link WN722-N with a 24 element yagi beam (about $6 on ebay), and this dual antenna is just as good. I'm thinking about using better antennas with the BT-N9100, to see how far I can go with it.