New / Old Hardware modification with pictures

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

New / Old Hardware modification with pictures

Post by pete »

Found these tiny USB hubs which have a small footprint for less than $3.00 USD here.

Looking to fix the little mini hub on the back of the O2 Joggler and utilize a direct wired to the motherboard connection for spare USB ports on the back of the Joggler.

I will take pictures. I am using a couple of Jogglers as just audio devices and playing a bit with a variety of USB sound cards and other stuff plugged into the USB ports.

Parts list

- O2 Joggler
- 4 port mini USB 2.0 hub - I am cutting the USB end and passing the wires to the Joggler motherboard and fixing the USB hub to the back of the Joggler (taking it apart).
hub.jpg
hub.jpg (7.02 KiB) Viewed 7767 times
Wiring pieces
- from the Joggler Wiki and guessing this will work (be testing a bit)
TP137 and TP138 are similar, connected to bus 1 port 0 for USB 2 but will also work with USB 1.1 as bus 2 port 0.
Note that these USB ports will not be utilized for anything with a draw higher than 500mW (no hard drives etc).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Re: New / Old Hardware modification with pictures

Post by hawsey »

Go for it Pete :-) keep us updated with pics ....
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

There will be a delay as I just opened the package for the USB hub and noticed that it was cracked in half. That said I have contacted the vendor and he is replacing it.

I am though opening the case and fixing the bottom part of the case to Joggler using the little vent holes inside of the Joggler for the tiny screws that keep the case together.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Got the new USB hub shipped from China to me yesterday. Next part will be cutting the cable and wiring it to the motherboard. Sometime back did purchase some 22 guage (or less) wires to use. Might instead just strip enough of the end to solder the USB wires to the motherboard. I am fixing the hub to the back of the Joggler using same tiny little screws that hold the Joggler together.

Unrelated / related comment. Over the last 3-4 months noticed that many companies in China are using reshippers here in the US for their products. I have had issues with some 4-5 products ordered and reshipped in this manner. Extensive delays, damaged product and wrong products. I have not noticed these type of issues with products shipped directly from China. Not sure if the same is going on in the UK. Over the last few years I have seen reshipping from Canada to the US and products have been fine.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Started endeavor. A modification to original hub add will be an Asix NIC add removing the last USB port on the device. This will provide me with two network interfaces on the Joggler (well 3 including wireless).

I am thinking I can remove the last two USB ports and solder the USB cables from the Asix NIC to one USB port and it'll all fit inside of the little USB hub case.

This modification can turn the Joggler into a combination firewall and AP device with an LCD GUI to the web interface for example or just a screensaver.

The device will be attached to the back of the Joggler with two screws (no glue).

The USB wires are very thin which helps me route them inside of the case easily. They are also labled at the USB hub end which helps somewhat.
JogglerUSB-NIC hub.jpg
While the hub looks big; it is not. I used hot melt glue to route the wires inside.
JogglerUSB-NIC hub-2.jpg
JogglerUSB-NIC hub-3.jpg
Here using TP137 and TP138 for my connection to the hub. I am leaving the power connection to the external USB port as I do not use it anyways.

I used little drops of hotmelt glue to tack the thin wires to the motherboard. The four wires are routed on the inside rather than the outside of the motherboard soldered all 4 to inside points of contact (D-, D+, + and -)

Put it back together and tested it with an XBMC configuration. Works great. Added two Asix NIC USB devices and this is what I see.
root@joggler:/home/joggler# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 152d:0602 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp.
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 05e3:ffe2 Genesys Logic, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
VVVVVVVVVVVV USB 2.0 VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a40:0201 Terminus Technology Inc. FE 2.1 7-port Hub
Bus 001 Device 030: ID 0b95:7720 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772
Bus 001 Device 043: ID 0b95:7720 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772
=====================================================
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b4:1974 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Removed the interior boot XBMC stick and replaced it with the wireless stick and put the XBMC stick on the hub testing the XBMC boot with the wireless stick inside of the Joggler. Works fine.
- Pete

Auto mater
markiii

Post by markiii »

nice work
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you Mark.

Note that the USB hub was about $2.00 USD. I wanted to use that one specifically because the USB ports face the back of the device. There are other small ones but there footprint didn't really work for use.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

The 4-port case is a bit large. That said next steps are to update it with another NIC and maybe add the SPDIF port to the Joggler. I want to keep the speakers in it such that I am working around that footprint.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Good stuff - and look at that fancy metal heatsink! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; its not an O2 Joggler; rather its an Openpeak Joggler with the DECT / Zigbee and a metal heatsink device.

That said the mods would work the same as the motherboards are almost identical.

Over the years these devices were sold as Jogglers on Ebay. The only way to tell from the outside is the logo in the back of the device. (O2 versus Openpeak).

Most of my Joggler tinkering has gone to these and the larger Openframe devices (with the speakers in front). That said though I have a collection these days if bits a pieces of all of the Openpeak stuff.
- Pete

Auto mater