HEY Look at these Possable internal SSD for the Joggler

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
verg0

HEY Look at these Possable internal SSD for the Joggler

Post by verg0 »

Hi the benifits of of these would be far greater than a usb, eg faster (less resorces PATA) more reliable (more write cycles) no usb sticking out of the side and takeing up a usb port:

http://www.supertalent.com/datasheets/6_150.pdf

http://www.memocom.com.tw/english/01_pr ... php?SID=98

Only thing is I just cant find anyware to buy one, can anyone help?

VERG0
gegs

Re: HEY Look at these Possable internal SSD for the Joggler

Post by gegs »

The website has a couple of contacts for SSD drives (one in Taiwan and the other in China) on the "SSD / Flash cards & Drives" link on the "Where to buy" page. They might be able to tell you about local suppliers or how to buy direct.

I'd be interested to know how you'd integrate these devices with the Joggler.
verg0

Post by verg0 »

@ gegs Here it is on the wiki:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Adding_a_PATA_port

it should fit on the board and be able to close the case no problem!

just want to buy one of these ssd's online but no joy yet :? ...
gegs

Post by gegs »

Thanks for the links.

I like the jogglerwiki idea about using a CF card as storage; I have a digital camera that uses CF and it seems a more robust and reliable storage system than either USB sticks or SD cards. I haven't run tests to back up my sweeping endorsement of CF, my personal experience just seems to suggest that.
verg0

Post by verg0 »

I also like the idea of storing the OS on a CF card, BUT with the 'micro SSD' idea; you will actually be able to fit it into the joggler so you can close the case!

Another benefit, SSD will minimize the ware and tare on the drive as SSDs can take more write cycles than a USB pen...
verg0

Post by verg0 »

Oh, Here is a one we can buy online, Super Talent FEM16GF13M SSD for Acer Aspire One:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... ROKL5A1OLE

REVIEW HERE
http://macles.blogspot.com/2010/04/revi ... e-one.html

Still not that cheap tho :?
pete

Post by pete »

Anyone do the PATA mod with their Joggler?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I recieved my 8Gb SSD USB stick today. Its about twice the size of a regular USB memory stick. Will post RW results to it once configured. It comes up as an SSD drive when plugged into the USB hub.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
verg0

Post by verg0 »

Very interesting Pete_c

Do you think the SSD would fit inside the joggler utilizing the extra USB port? Keeping the WiFi Card in its original place?

Eg, Remove the USB port on the SSD and hardwire it to the extra USB port something like this? :-
usb---.jpg
usb---.jpg (86.82 KiB) Viewed 9002 times
pete

Post by pete »

No; but what are the dimensions of the space you have marked as SSD?

I have miniature 4 port USB hub and some "wires" with just the female ends of the USB ports; very small footprint; from playing with the Asus Netbook. My preference would be to put the Lenova Keyboard/Mouse dongle inside of the Joggler and just leave it there instead of using the outside USB port.

Its about the same size as the WLAN card out of its shell. I take another picture of it with a ruler and the WLAN card next to it.

Are the 4 open holes on the WLAN card near the USB port marked 1-4 USB connections? Could I connect a female USB port to those 4 open traces/holes?

Here is a benchmark running with Dan's Windows XP SP3. The next few benchmarks will be done in a simliar fashion with the microdrive, IDE drive and a couple of different flash drives mounted inside of the Joggler (I have to take apart again anyways).

This attached picture is using the Joggler; running Dan's XPSP3 and application called CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 with the new SSD USB (8Gb) drive.
Attachments
WLAN-1.jpg
CM-SSD-USB2.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater