USB or external hard drive

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
ilovemyjoggler

USB or external hard drive

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Which is better for running an alternative OS in terms of speed/stability or anything else - or is there really no difference between using a usb or hard drive? (Aside from the convenience of being able to store the media in the same location.)
roobarb!

Re: USB or external hard drive

Post by roobarb! »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Which is better for running an alternative OS in terms of speed/stability or anything else - or is there really no difference between using a usb or hard drive? (Aside from the convenience of being able to store the media in the same location.)
I use a hard drive while developing because it's much faster. But once everything's running, I use flash media because it's smaller and doesn't require an external power source. Horses for courses! ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Here playing around a bit....such that I am using an SSD stick and a ZIF SSD drive.

They both fit fine using a 15cm ZIF cable laying the SSD ZIF drive over the SSD memory stick (bare naked stick though out of its shell as it was too big).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thanks roobarb! for confirming that a hard drive is faster (and presumably more stable).

Pete, i have no idea what the things you mention are but they sound like you need to open up the joggler rather than storage devices which you simply stick in the usb port? Probably ok for the more adventurous joggler'er' - not me! ;)
pete

Post by pete »

Yes and no.

To utilize the inside USB port you have to remove the wireless card. That said you can replace the wireless card with a small externaly mounted wireless card; tiny things these days. You can purchase 8, 16 and 32 Gb SSD USB sticks. Thinking the sizes of these are all the same. The USB SSD is just a bit more robust than a conventional flash USB stick.

Here my mostly all of the Jogglers are using the network cable connection.

Adding the ZIF connected SSD drive is different. On the older Joggler it involves soldering a ZIF connector. This is an adventure. That said the Openframe's that look like the Jogglers all have a ZIF connector mounted on the motherboard and some more hardware on their motherboards.

ILMJ,

Be adventurous!

If it doesn't work; I'll send you another Joggler gratus to play with; but you have to be adventurous first.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete wrote:If it doesn't work; I'll send you another Joggler gratus to play with; but you have to be adventurous first.
:)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I tinker on a 'need to know' basis ;) When one of my jogglers goes kaput i'll be taking that sucker apart!
pete

Post by pete »

So let us know if and when you ever do that.

Consider me then your joggler "compadre" willing to assist you from across the big pond.
- Pete

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

...you have to be adventurous first!
A possible contender to replace the strapline 'The all new forum for the O2 Joggler'?!

:D
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!