Power Supplies

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
eduponesarris

Power Supplies

Post by eduponesarris »

As myself and youg Den now have internally modified Jogglers, I am going to look at the power supply arrangements. I think two projects. One to power the Joggler from the PC PSU, and splitting the supply into 5V and 12V using the standard connector, using a spare 5 inch bay to hard wire a switch and socket and mount it on a blanking plate, maybe with an inline fuse. The transformer is a 5volt 4 amp output, but can't see the Joggler using 4 amps up. May stick the ammeter in to see what it draws on power up and normal operation. Unless anyone has already measured it.

Other project revolves around a TEAC reference CD/Radio/Amp MIcro Hifi I have got. Took it apart today and plenty of room to run out a 5volt supply into a socket at the back of the unit, and maybe hard wire the sound output into the Aux, so the Joggler can sit on top and be a one stop shop, without wires going all over the place. Again, seems a fairly robust power supply in the unit so shouldn't overload it.

Got to do something to stop being bored on a week off !

J
denisP

Re: Power Supplies

Post by denisP »

I can probably knock you up a Molex to 2 pin DIN with an inline fuse if you need one.
Thats if you decide to attach it to the PC.

I'll try to measure the current the Joggler draws if it helps.

Just checked and its about 1.2A during startup
Current approx 1.2A during Boot
Current approx 1.2A during Boot
Sadly thats as far as I got as my Joggler has lost its memory again.
Joggler a bit poorly and needs a re-flash
Joggler a bit poorly and needs a re-flash
Denis :roll:
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

2 amp fuse should do then Den... the plug is a 5mm OD 2.1 mm ID, sockets to match. Got them in Maplins. Might have a go tmrw, if the weather is pants..

J
eduponesarris

Post by eduponesarris »

Made up the kit. Maplins do a 2.2A and a 3.0 Amp current trip, so used that instead of an inline fuse. To all those thinking of having a go, the 12V which is usually a 5mm 2.5mm plug and socket works fine, powers up external hard drives no problem at all. Checked it on a WWStars dual caddy, via firewire and USB, and WD MyBooks and is OK. Downside is the 5V rail from the power supply is not man enough to supply the Joggler. Screen intermittently flashes, and eventually reboots, so either the supply quality is not good enough (unlikely), or the 5V output is limited. Tried it on both a lead which was driving an unspinning DVD Rom, and also on a discrete supply with nothing else attached. Probably worth doing for powering up the External drives if nothing else as it saves on having adaptors and plugs all over the place.

J
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I thought the joggler takes 6v not 5 ?
denisP

Post by denisP »

BuZz,
Check your power supply label, +5V 4A.

Denis
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

must have been a memory glitch. quite common ;-)
pete

Post by pete »

I found a place here in the US selling US plug OpenPeak 5VDC / 4 Amp power supplies for $9.50. Good price for a small footprint, 4AMP regulated Power supply. Similiar now to the IP Camera and Network switch power supplies.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

If anybody in the UK is looking for Joggler power supplies, there are a few on ebay at the moment.

http://bit.ly/GAIiFL
blc

Post by blc »

eduponesarris wrote:Made up the kit. Maplins do a 2.2A and a 3.0 Amp current trip, so used that instead of an inline fuse. To all those thinking of having a go, the 12V which is usually a 5mm 2.5mm plug and socket works fine, powers up external hard drives no problem at all. Checked it on a WWStars dual caddy, via firewire and USB, and WD MyBooks and is OK. Downside is the 5V rail from the power supply is not man enough to supply the Joggler. Screen intermittently flashes, and eventually reboots, so either the supply quality is not good enough (unlikely), or the 5V output is limited. Tried it on both a lead which was driving an unspinning DVD Rom, and also on a discrete supply with nothing else attached. Probably worth doing for powering up the External drives if nothing else as it saves on having adaptors and plugs all over the place.

J
Sorry to dig up such an old post... If you (or anyone else) is still looking to do this, it may be worth having a look in the BIOS menu of the PC in question to see if there are any voltage monitors; many motherboards can monitor the actual voltage put out by the PSU, as well as other "PC Health" readings like temperatures.

The ATX specification for power supplies allows for a ± 5% tolerance on both the 12v and 5v rails, so it could actually be supplying anything between 4.75v and 5.25v. I've noticed that my PC's PSU actually sits at around 4.8v, with the 12v rail at around 11.8/11.9v.

PC PSU's are usually a brilliant power source (I've got 12v and 5v jacks on the back of my PC, fed by the PSU), but it seems in this case that the Joggler has a tighter tolerance than the ATX spec can provide... The hard drives were OK because they are likely designed with the ATX tolerances in mind.