using the touch screen in Windows?

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
higgs8921

Re: using the touch screen in Windows?

Post by higgs8921 »

thanks mate got it working now had one in wrong place thanks 4 pic, if i find anything on screen i let u know be cool if could wire screen up vga or something be able to use it as a midi controler
higgs8921

Post by higgs8921 »

http://www.sharpsme.com/webfm_send/1859 found this for the pin date for the lcd just looking throu throught i would share it with you
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

Sorry, I forgot to reply a few days ago...
I do have that datasheet.
I was looking for a VGA (or DVI) to LVDS controller that supports the LVDS format that this panel is using. My usual source for these controllers don't have a compatible one....
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Pretty much done this one to death here: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Using_t ... DVI_screen
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

inaxeon wrote:Pretty much done this one to death here: http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Using_t ... DVI_screen
With some very nice photographs too, I might add. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

very interesting... You definitely got further than I did.
I have the same VGA to LVDS controller and I also have the programmer for it, both also from njytouch on ebay. I did exchange quite a few emails with that seller but they were unwilling / unable to provide a parameter file for that panel. I had (temporarily) given up on this at the time.

Now there's hope again... ;-)
inaxeon, do you think you will be able to get this working with the controller from njytouch eventually? I gather from the page you linked to that you haven't quite got that working yet?
Or have you now settled for using a mainboard with on-board LVDS?
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

I'm definitely going to continue to get the ROVA PCB to work on this.

I don't think NJY has access to the source code for these images. (I'm picking based on the fact that ROVAWriter has already been hacked by someone).

To be honest, I don't think I'm that far off. My current problem is that I think I've either got 799 pixels or 801 pixels horizontally, and the controller is trying to stretch 800 pixels into that, end result is that it looks hideous. Just haven't quite figured out why that is yet.

DVI is going to be more work still. There's something about the resultant frame timings of DVI that it really doesn't like. I haven't even begun to look at this.
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

Since you've got the programmer... I can give you what I've got so far if you're really interested. VGA input only. It's OK for watching movies but fonts look awful.

Which PCB did you buy?

I think they have 4 different versions. Mine is the one with RTD2525L fitted, and no audio. This is the one who's firmware image I've been hacking.
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

I bought this kit:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SA:GB:1123
So that's the R.RM3251C LCD controller board and the programmer. Would have to check at home what chip is on the PCB.

I'd really be interested in checking out what you have achieved so far....
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

So you don't even have the DVI input on yours? I'm going to pick that it has RTD2545L.

I do have a board here with that chip fitted on it but I've never tried my firmware on it. They are supposed to be software compatible with each other, the only difference being that RTD2525L (mine) doesn't handle the really high pixel clocks needed to get higher than 1280x1024 resolution.

I can't build GFF images (buggers are encrypted) so you'll need my programming software too... I'll pack it all up when I get a chance.
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

I've done a bit more work on this, have it working really well with DVI input now but I've also discovered a major problem:

This LCD panel's vertical blanking period (35 lines) is punishingly long. No standard VESA/VGA timings get even close to this so it not usable with any standard resolutions i.e. 640x480@60Hz, the kind the BIOS of a PC would ouput on boot. The only way to make it work (even with the ROVA controller PCB) is with a custom, targeted DTD under windows (or very specific X server config). Not many graphics drivers support this on Windows.

Basically, non technical summary: Yes it can work under Windows with special custom resolution/timings but as for getting a picture before Windows starts, i.e. during boot or in BIOS setup: No way. Not without modifying and recompiling the VGA BIOS, and if I'm going to have to do that, I might as well use LVDS as it's a hell of a lot less messing around!

Because I need the early boot VGA ability from this, it's unlikely that I'll be doing much more work on it.
yesyes

Post by yesyes »

Thanks for the update....
So this really is a weird panel... Sounds like they intentionally wanted to make sure it can't be (ab)used for anything else..... :D
inaxeon

Post by inaxeon »

I wouldn't say that! I've successfully connected it to several different boards now! I'd describe it a panel which is ideal for embedded use, but lousy for general use. It's actually really well suited for connection to SCH Poulsbo, which of course, is used by the Joggler. I think we just got a bit unlucky on this one.

EDIT: OK So I've decided to do a bit more work on it. Updated the wiki (http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Using_t ... DVI_screen). The problem of VGA input not working remains for now but I'm happy with it on DVI.