Power supply for Joggler?

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
hawsey

Power supply for Joggler?

Post by hawsey »

I know Cctv cables are supposed to have the same ends as a joggler power cable so I wonder if this might power two or even three jogglers at the same time ( dont ask why lol)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0764703137

Does anyone know how much current the joggler actually needs to work, also I worry that the polarity might be reversed and cause an upset.
Happy Joggling
pete

Re: Power supply for Joggler?

Post by pete »

That should work. I am currently connecting a few Jogglers to a small and large POE switch.

The smaller POE switch has a smaller power supply than the one you posted.

Standard polarity is center is positive.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Don't forget that the Joggler is 5V, though! Feed it 12V and it's goodnight Joggler.

(I mention because the supply on that page is a 12V output capable of 5A - if you plug that into your Joggler, it may well release the magic white smoke.)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Apologies; didn't catch the voltage. Thank you Andy!

Yup; 12VDC will quickly burn up your Joggler.

Didn't notice the voltage.

On a different note. I purchased a more robust CCTV power supply; but its a small "box" with individually fused and switched 12VDC legs on it. Converting each of these to 5VDC would work better for such an endeavor.

This one I was just testing and it was the baby to the larger CCTV in the can power supply for the cams.

You could fit it (using the automotive tiny transformer previously mentioned) on the backs of the Jogglers)

You would have to convert the 12VDC down to 5VDC on each leg.

Here using wireless on only a couple of Jogglers.

Rest are using POE with TP-Link power injectors which work off of standard POE voltages.

Initially I tested with a variety of tiny POE switches and 5-8 port mid stream injectors; then went to using a legacy POE 24 port midstream injector.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ahh thank you roobarb/ pete, I already know from bitter experience the "white smoke moment " after a mix up with power supplies in my van!
I was initially looking for a vehicle power supply for my joggler but they look pretty expensive..
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

For the car pc I am using a sort of intelligent pico PSU. It talks to an Atom 525 based mITX carputer.

The carpc talks to the power supply and it has its own bit of intelligence such that it will never drain the car battery. Initially when goofing around with this stuff I set up a tank battery on a secondary circuit which would power the PC and be charged by the car itself. That worked well but the battery still was too big for me.

If you got one of these you configure it to shut down the Joggler and start it on the ignition wire and use regular 12VDC fused power for the transformer.

It wouldn't drain your car battery this way. You can even have it send a signal to the Joggler to shut down properly.

http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB-200?sc=8&category=981

Have a look here for a small 12VDC to 5VDC adapter that would probably fit nicely behind the Joggler.

Curious if a laptop 12VDC or similiar adapter is cheaper than a 5VDC adapter there in the UK?

Not sure how well you will be able to see the screen on the Joggler with sun reflections. I have a transreflective screen on an early tablet. It was made to use outside. I don't really like the way it looks though. On the BMW it appears only to be a polarized screen for the HU from what I can tell. IE: I tip my head to one side or another with my sunglasses on and the screen becomes dark.
- Pete

Auto mater