Installed the Joggler in the wall (p2)

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
Error

Installed the Joggler in the wall (p2)

Post by Error »

I soldered the two extra usb ports in the jogger. One to use with my DAC and the other for a stick or something, as the sideport is going to disappear because I'm building the Joggler in the wall.

Anyway, I didn't want to cut off the Usb plug of the DAC so I decided to cut off the plug of the wifi card and solder that to the extra internal port which I did.
But now I do see the green led on, so it's powered. But I get no wifi signal, in fact, it doesn't even look for wifi.. Is this because it needs to be in the internal port where it was from the beginning? Or did I trash something? Maybe bad data connections?

I will post pics later on..
Last edited by Error on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Error

Re: soldered 2 extra usb ports, wifi gone??

Post by Error »

i do see the green led on the wifi card flash from time to time and also the optical out of the DAC shines bright. So nothing wrong with the power I guess..
Is there a way to test the USB ports without a network connection?

The "settings" tab just says "no signal"..
pete

Post by pete »

You could try to SSH to the device and just do an LSUSB to see all of the devices on the USB ports.

I had issues using two soldered USB ports with one SSD USB device.

I don't recall now if it was a power thing or not or using USB 1.0 or something like that.

Plugged in the wireless card just know into the Joggler2
root@ICS-joggler2:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04cc:5556 ST-Ericsson
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1a40:0201 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 05e3:ffe2 Genesys Logic, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b4:1974 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 148f:2770 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2770 Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x Composite Device
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 1740:9702 Senao EnGenius 802.11n Wireless USB Adapter
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Error

Post by Error »

how do i do that? ls wants to read my directory?

What command should I use, and is it SSH or Telnet?
Error

Post by Error »

hmmm i guess there's something wrong with the connections..

i put some mp3s on stick to test via LMS with /mnt/files..
But the stick isn't shown and when i put it back in the laptop I don't see it at all??? Not via "apparaatbeheer" (don't know english term for it)

How do I check what's wrong?
castalla

Post by castalla »

Use

lsusb

to see the usb devices
Error

Post by Error »

Well... it hangs at O2 logo for some twenty minutes now so I guess it's wrong again..
But it doesn't react at my usb stick.. So i don't know how to reflash it again.
I think I'm gonna undo my soldering and try again.. I've got a feeling I bricked it now??? However.. it did fire up to starting screen after the mods so..??

What's the best way to follow now?
Error

Post by Error »

Decided to take the thing apart and check the wiring. One soldered wire came apart very easily, it's loose now. I decided to fire it up now all was lying apart and hurray, within a few minutes it booted up into pnpIII.

So tried the network to setup wirelessly and had succes, it connected. So Wifi worked but few minutes later there was no signal though nothing changed?? hmmm.. maybe bad connection ??? I don't get it..
Rebooted it via SWF launcher but still no signal.
Does it matter which antenna goes to which side on the wifi stick? I suppose not?

Anyway still not able to check lsusb command because i don't have a working network connection..
Error

Post by Error »

it appears that i trashed two usb sticks but once i have a connection i suppose lsusb would confirm that or not?

I can't think of a reason why the card first works, but later on drops dead?? led flashes from time to time.. could it be a short or something?
Or bad connection?

Grr why do i always have to take the hard road :lol:
castalla

Post by castalla »

I guess you're flying solo on this one!

Hope you get it workng again.
pete

Post by pete »

Personally I would test using the Gb connection on the back of the Joggler and not test using wireless.

Leave the entire case open.

Cut your USB wires and use little jumpers to test each USB connection.

You can solder them back together and cover them with a heat shrink tubing.

Just be careful and don't short anything out.

LSUSB will show you all of the devices connected to USB ports.

The wireless USB stick probably uses up the most power compared to the rest of the devices.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Error

Post by Error »

I offered up a speaker and fitted the DAC there. Also used the space to put in an usb-cable.

I tested with wifi because I didn't have an ethernet cable which was long enough.. Tonight the testing goes on.

Can't i just measure via the usbport without cutting wires again?
Error

Post by Error »

Tonight I resoldered the wire, fired it up again and noticed two red leds were lit the i can't recall if they were before??
hmm when i remove ethernet cable the leds go off, once i plug it in the light up again.. so they do have to do with ethernet. But why are they red?? It won't get connected; it hangs at "acquiring IP address" whereas a few days ago it worked...
Red means no good right??
Error

Post by Error »

Managed to get a connection via cable.
I'm starting to believe this particular joggler is really really grumpy..

Telnet:

Code: Select all

atom login: joggler
Password:

OpenPeak Atom BSP ("Frame")
Copyright(C) 2008 OpenPeak, Inc.
All rights reserved.
# lsusb
-sh: lsusb: not found
# LSUSB
-sh: LSUSB: not found
#
SSH:

Code: Select all

login as: joggler
joggler@192.168.0.12's password:
# lsusb
-sh: lsusb: not found
# LSUSB
-sh: LSUSB: not found
#
Nothing works properly on this thing.. how do you guys do this??
pete

Post by pete »

Very nice pictures. Baby steps.

Nah; Jogglers are very robust; you can't really break one easily.

Yeah; update the Joggler with most current firmware such that your lsusb works.

I never really paid attention to the LEDs.

I did notice that the WLAN card did get really warm. I also put an 8Gb USB SSD card on it. (with insulation tape).

You can leave the wires intact and test.

The only thing if there is bad hardware or similiar it will flick off your USB ports such that nothing working on the bus which in turn will not let you test.

I used the same USB ports for my modifications. Here I used an extra wired port going to a USB to ZIF card then to an SSD ZIF drive. It worked fine for me although it was a bit tight. I tried using the same USB port (as the SSD) for a USB Network cable and it didn't work; not even seen.

The above said I wired up a mini USB connector to one of the USB extra cables and plugged that into my USB to ZIF card.

I also tried to use a USB sound card on the 2nd port which didn't work with the USB to LAN device. It didn't see the sound card either.

So instead on my streaming audio Joggler I just plugged in a USB sound stick to the side port and it works fine (but doesn't look nice).

Today though I am not playing much with the O2 Joggler and have gone now to playing with the Joggler II. It is a bit different inside. It is known as the Openframe 1.0. It has a metal heat shield covering the entire motherboard and it has little indentations for the CPUs.

BTW (by the way) you should insulate all your new circuit boards such that they do not short out. Have a look underneath the wireless card to the left. There is a tiny screw there holding your metal bracket in place. If this screw sits on your WLAN card it can short it out. I typically test with just putting painters tape on the addition stuff they before finally closing up the case I put that yellow tape on the components. Check the leads very closely on your USB connections as they are tiny and a bit too much solder and you will cover two traces instead of one with the possibility of shorting something out.
- Pete

Auto mater
Error

Post by Error »

thanks for the long reply ;)

Yesterday:
- I desoldered the wires of the WiFi card and from the board
- soldered an usb plug on it
- put it in the internal usb-socket: wifi works, with good strenght although I didn;t have antenna's attached.
- put it in the external usb-socket: wifi works, with good strenght although I didn;t have antenna's attached.
- put it in extension soldered to external port: nothing, nada, niks, noppes, njet.. no signal..
I checked my soldering 50000 times and nothing seems wrong with it. Still both modifications won't work.
I will now try a hub and see how that does with the wifi card. if it works (which i think it will) then that's the way i'll go.
the extension will be desoldered then.

I've got quite a grumpy Joggler I've learned...
pete

Post by pete »

put it in extension soldered to external port: nothing, nada, niks, noppes, njet.. no signal..
I had issues using the soldered USB ports for various devices. I could not get a USB network working correctly or a USB sound card recognized.

That said if I connected a USB hub to my added wired USB stuff it would work. Another sort of problem was booting from an extra USB wired USB to SSD card. It would sometimes work in Linux but always worked with the replacement of the EFI boot bios on the 1Mb chip.

Could be the docs relating to whether the port is USB 1.0 or USB2.0 and where the pinouts sit on the USB bus might be an issue.

I have also noticed a modification probably related to powering up the LCD / touchscreen USB with jumpers installed from the LCD to the motherboard on the Joggler 2 or Openframe 1.0 device. Looks to be a power modification.

I also tried a tiny USB hub inside of the Joggler connecting USB devices using just the wires without the USB ports. It worked but got really hot.

Not rereading the thread this morning but what exactly do you want to add inside of the Joggler?

1 - wireless USB device? (personally I would go with a combo micro USB N and bluetooth USB device) instead of stock USB WLAN device)
2 - USB sound card?

what else?
- Pete

Auto mater
Error

Post by Error »

Hi Pete,

the initial plan was
- to cut the plug off the wifi card and solder it to the motherboard.
- then add an extended usb cable to put in a stick elsewhere
- put USB dac on the internal USB port so I don't have to cut and kill it :-)
- original external port couldn't be used because of Joggler getting put in a wall

Plans now changed because of non-working modifications so I tested a hub which was fitted to internal port. In the hub I put the wifi card on which I soldered a plug again to test, all works again. It only seems I have to disconnect the hub once I power up. Else it hangs at O2 logo.
But now I'm not sure of 1 thing: the hub is fitted on a 1,5m USB cable (for a reason). The DAC will be connected to the hub. Will the length of the USB cable effect the sound quality?? Should I keep the USB as short as possible?

Another good thing:
Both my piano and the amplifier of my guitar have an 3,5mm aux in. Under the kitchen an old cable was lying around from when my pc was placed in that neighbourhood. I used pc to play music to amplifier or piano. I can now use this cable to fit in the original 3,5mm on the Joggler..

I will be adding a power switch in the power cable so I don't have to pull the plug eacht time I want a reboot or something. Also will replace the UK plug with EU one.
Once it's finished I will post pics...
pete

Post by pete »

Plans now changed because of non-working modifications so I tested a hub which was fitted to internal port. In the hub I put the wifi card on which I soldered a plug again to test, all works again. It only seems I have to disconnect the hub once I power up. Else it hangs at O2 logo.
But now I'm not sure of 1 thing: the hub is fitted on a 1,5m USB cable (for a reason). The DAC will be connected to the hub. Will the length of the USB cable effect the sound quality?? Should I keep the USB as short as possible?
One of my hardware mods I fitted a USB female adaptor to the inside USB port and tacked it to the back of the Joggler.

That said for all of my experimenting I have been using 22 or thinner guage wire. Recently I refitted / replaced the Asix clone USB NIC cards with real Asix USB NICs. These are built totally different. Extra two wires for grounding the USB ports.

You can purchase a tiny barebones (no case) hub on ebay which is what I tested with. It does fit inside of the Joggler where the WLAN card was. That said I don't think it will be an issue using plan old wires (4) for the USB connections.

I would also fit a tiny keyboard/mouse wireless USB thing somewhere. I use two types. One is the little Lenova remote combo. Its a bit difficult to utilize. The other is a fully sized keyboard with a mouse pad which is much easier to use. Knowing that you want to stick with wireless then even easier would be to use one of those new combo mini wireless bluetooth sticks and look for one with a little sma connector on it then connect an external WLAN antenna on the back of it. These also are on ebay for some $3 each.
WirelessUSB.jpg
WirelessUSBBluetooth.jpg
WirelessUSBBluetooth.jpg (39.69 KiB) Viewed 13158 times
Tiny USB board.
USB board.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
Algo

Post by Algo »

Hi,
I must admit to being a bit confused, but let's see if we can get a handle on this.
Hope I'm not shooting way off topic.

Removing the USB wifi to fit the DAC that you are using is not necessary, see an easy fix:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Interna ... to_RCA_out
Soldering to the DAC really is straightforward.
By fitting the DAC on the other side of the Joggler from the USB Wifi, you can leave the Wifi undisturbed.
If this means your losing the 2nd speaker, no big deal, as the Joggler will still function (silently :D ).

I second the suggestion re: insulation. Here, Kapton tape is your friend!
Also, if mounted in-wall, you could leave the back off or replace it with something bigger (e.g. in-wall junction box).

If the wifi stick needs re-locating due to in-wall fitting, a USB extender cable might work.
Equally, the external (side) USB could also be rescued by the same means.

My question is: where/to what/how does the DAC output connect (direct or remote extension?/amp?/mini jack or optical?).
Also, what is the aim of the modifications?

At present I am working on fitting both a USB DAC & a headphone amp into one of my Jogglers.
This may end up as an in-wall, wifi, installation with the Joggler mounted on a faceplate alongside volume control knob, phones socket & possibly, antenna (à la Pete).
I will update the Sabre DAC page when I complete the job.

If you need an unhacked Joggler wifi stick, I may be able to help.

Good luck,
Algo