Installed the Joggler in the wall (p2)

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
Error

Re: soldered 2 extra usb ports, wifi gone??

Post by Error »

Hi again,
This is where I ended up with:
- no wifi, internet via LAN
- used the port for an USB cable that goes under my refrigerator
- sideport isn't used
- Killed the UK plug and soldered an extension cable with switch and europlug on it
- Couldn't get the server to mount so now I work with a big USB-stick, plugged in the hub
- USB Asynchronous DAC to either 3,5mm stereo jack or 3,5mm optical output
- pulled wires under the floor to the amplifier

I routed the wires in such a way that when I remove the grid in the baseboard I can acces both the power switch and the hub with DAC and USB stick..

pictures:
hole in the wall. What you're seeing is the side of the kitchen, i.e. the refrigerator and oven:

picture of the switch and hub (power wires is what I use for speaker cable.. cheap and 2,5²..)

End product:

Kids love it too (well, the games on it) but hate me for putting it so high in the wall :D

The sound is asthonishing. Still need to look into the output (something like enhanced digital outpur orso) in how to do that...

What do you all think of the install? I like it alot..
castalla

Re: Installed the Joggler in the wall (p2)

Post by castalla »

Looks very impressive!
Algo

Post by Algo »

Hi Error,
Heel moi! :)
Sometimes the direct route is every bit as good.

I'm pleased that you like the sound from the little DAC.
I've used it in a few projects and (if you can live with 24/96 output) have never been dissapointed.
In fact, the Joggler and DAC combo gives my UnitiQute a run for it's money (and only costs 8% of the Qute)!
Unbelievable value!

As far as EDO from Triode (or the Wilberforce build) goes, I've used it with good results in previous mods.
Now I can't seem to find the "install" command line in order to untar it to the correct directory. I recall using SSH.....
But perhaps some kind soul on the forum could help with that.

Edit!!
6th. post down on this page:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... l&start=20

Cheers,
Alistair
pete

Post by pete »

Very Nice Error!
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Love it :-D
Happy Joggling
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Looks good.

Interesting how some spouses 'allow' holes to be cut in walls or kitchen doors for mounted jogglers. Never gonna happen in my home!

(besides, it'd never work with our height difference ;) )
Error

Post by Error »

haha well I carefully suggested the option of mounting it in the wall (because it stood on the piano before that which wasn't a clean sight either), expected to see two staggered eyes but she actually said it was a good idea :mrgreen: . So that same night I cut the hole just to be sure
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

How about the cooling needs?
Doesn't the metal stand act a heatsink?
So removing it (to make it all fit in a shallow hole in the wall - and then not having air flow around it while in the wall might cause cooling problems.
Error

Post by Error »

I tried heating the metal stand to bend it but it didn't work, ik broke at the angle. So I ended up sawing it off.. I tried to avoid that.
So at least a major piece of the sink is still there.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

See:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ink#p15802

And

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ink#p15004

:?:
Error wrote:So that same night I cut the hole just to be sure
Lol!
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Error wrote:I tried heating the metal stand to bend it but it didn't work, ik broke at the angle. So I ended up sawing it off.. I tried to avoid that.
So at least a major piece of the sink is still there.
I bashed mine flat with a hammer. It did crack slightly on on side but is still in 1 piece.
pete

Post by pete »

Just a quickie note about the "evolution" of the O2 Joggler heatsink to the Openframe 1.0 (Joggler 2) heatsink.

Looks like Openpeak decided an all metal heatsink worked better and built that into the Openframe device.

The metal heatsinks extend to the height and width of the motherboard. It has little protrusions on it where the CPUs are. This means that if you happen to be playing with an Openframe 1.0 device you can just remove the back stand now and the CPU will remain cool with the passive metal heatsink.

Fast forward to revision two of the Openframe 1.0 device with the speakers in the front. Here they also used an all metal heatsink. They did change the tabletop bracket; such that it is removable held by a removable bracket. Almost appears that you can make a small DIN wall bracket kind of set up with it.
The one too included a little combo bluetooth and WLAN PCIE card inside instead of the USB WLAN card and a USB webcam port on the top of it.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

How did you get the thing to stay on the wall? I've been considering making a 'house status' one for the hallway, but so far have been stumped as to the best way to fix the thing. The kitchen door was easier, as the back is always accessible... :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Error

Post by Error »

Since there's a little space behind the wall I planned to remove the oven and put in a screw from behind. Therefore I first removed a speaker, and screwed a little block of wood to the case, in which I was to screw from the other side..
In the end I didn't use it as I made the fitment in the wall very precise so the Joggler is just clamped by the wall (because its form is a litte tapered)...
I have to use a certain amount of force to get it out so nothing will happen with it.