Increasing the sound?

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
chelseagirl

Increasing the sound?

Post by chelseagirl »

Are there any hacks for increasing the sound? I use an external speaker which is okay, but the sound I get from it using my joggler is tiny compared with, say, using it with my ipod. There's obviously some sort of limiter in the joggler ... anyone found a way of increasing the sound level?
gegs

Re: Increasing the sound?

Post by gegs »

The volume I get from a USB soundcard is much greater than from the Joggler's internal one. Use the P'n'P USB sound switch if you're using the stock OS and plug a cheap USB soundcard like this http://bit.ly/iZefF2 into a hub like this http://bit.ly/m8gBjN (otherwise it looks really ugly sticking out the side) and plug your speaker into the card.

There are higher fidelity options available but I thought this would show you the possibilities using cheap components. They're what I use for my kitchen Joggler.
chelseagirl

Post by chelseagirl »

Good stuff, I'll get those and give it a go! It is only in the kitchen so I don't need it to be booming - just audible over the sound of a running tap!
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

I second what gegs says, in fact the USB sound card I have looks identical to that one!

I have the output of mine going into a Sony Gigajuke and without the USB soundcard the Gigajuke had to be whacked up to 50 to be audible, with the USB sound card a volume of 20 is more than adequate!
chelseagirl

Post by chelseagirl »

Got my soundcard today, not the same one but a similar (but only 5.1) and am amazed at the difference. Love that I'll be able to listen to my spotify playlist over the sound of the washing machine now! Thanks :)
gegs

Post by gegs »

Fab! I'm glad it works for you. The new iPlayer widget is also greatly enhanced by using a USB soundcard.
chelseagirl

Post by chelseagirl »

Note for anyone else trying a USB soundcard .... have a play with the PnP sound settings before panicking! I thought mine didn't work properly because it ranged from not working at all (iplayer) to helium fuelled voices (Squeezeplayer BBC app) to full on PInky and Perky (The Lounge)!

I've just changed the sound setting to USB mixer and it's working perfectly now ... so do have a play!
Utakos

Post by Utakos »

Is there a way of using a USB sound card with native OS without using PnP, WHAT DO i need to configure?