New combo USB plus NIC hardware add

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

New combo USB plus NIC hardware add

Post by pete »

I have been using the smaller MAC style USB to RJ-45 adapters for my XP Jogglers. Recently found that I had been using Asix clones. I have been looking for Asix chipped only USB to RJ-45 adapters and while I did purchase a few of these (not installed yet) ran across a very small footprint combo USB and NIC interface. I have never seen one of these.

That said I am adding this adapter to the other than XP/Wintel Jogglers specifically Linux because it will provide additional USB ports the back of the Joggler versus the side of the Joggler.

I've had no issues with the wiring of the "cloned" asix USB to RJ-45 adapters. This wires are very small guage and I utilize the existing holes in the back of the Joggler. I have added one additional USB port to the insides of all of my "test" Jogglers to date. (some even two additional USB ports).

I've attached pictures of these devices. Note I have not tested them yet; rather just purchased them.
Attachments
pic-3.jpg
pic-2.jpg
pic-1.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gegs

Re: New combo USB plus NIC hardware add

Post by gegs »

Crikey! I never even knew such a thing existed. Could occasionally be very handy.
pete

Post by pete »

This is the first one that I have seen. Initially I was just using double stick tape to mount the device on the back. I went to opening up the case of the USB device drilling tiny holes and using very small short screws which physically attach it to the back of the Joggler. I then put the cover back on and it is a clean looking connection and stays in place. That said though almost all of my Jogglers are using the Gb or USB NIC and only a few are using wireless. I am using both wireless and wired with the Openframe2. The "test" one with the HD card though is wired at Gb and does the best job with XBMC and streaming live and recorded 1080 video which is really impressive for the box. This too works well with my CCTV HD IP streaming. It kind of offsets the HD video stuff to the little mini pcie card and doesn't work as hard. That said attaching one of these to utilize three USB ports work work better than just the single in the back or top USB port on the OpenFrame 2 boxes. (would be a kind of clean looking tiny USB hub).

Yeah; right now doing the USB to USB sound card thing with one of the test Jogglers in the master bedroom which is connected to the MM box there. It's been using the side port as I did an experiment using a 2nd USB port (soldered) inside and it would only work with a USB hub which was still a big footprint behind the whole concoction. So am giving this one a try. The interior "wiring" on this one is either using the WLAN USB port or two other hand wired (and soldered) USB ports. First testing though will be just connecting this mini do what to the USB plug inside, then the other two. I just want to make sure that its a USB 2.0 hub connection all the way to the devices.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I purchased a few of the above mentioned devices. My recommendation is to stay away. These are using asix clones and will cause issues.
- Pete

Auto mater