Hardware USB to RJ45 MAC style clone alert

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

Hardware USB to RJ45 MAC style clone alert

Post by pete »

Just noticed that the cheapo mac style USB to RJ45 devices that I have been using are ASIX ASIC clones and are junk; literally.

I am trying right now to see if I can upgrade the drivers maybe such that they work with a throughput of something greater than 5 Mbps.

I've been using these for the Joggler XP builds and decided to test them a bit granularly.

I took apart one of the USB to RJ45 "Mac" like device and it looks like what is posted in the pictures. The slow speeds appear related to it being a 10Mbps device. So now here searching for better quality USB to RJ-45 adapters.

The following article is what got me to check on the speeds.

http://projectgus.com/2013/03/anatomy-o ... t-adapter/
Attachments
Speedtest.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Re: Hardware USB to RJ45 MAC style clone alert

Post by pete »

Recently purchased some 20 of the real Asix USB to NIC devices. The NIC board is a touch wider than the clone though but similiarly sized. The clones were also USB 1.0 devices and would not work well on the Joggler. (aside from the faulty fake electronics)

They are constucted much better than the clones. That said I am in the process of converting the older XP machines to utilizing these rather than the clones. Way different performance. Only thing is that the flashing blue NIC SMD LEDs are too bright and bugging wife right now.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater