best approach for putting a headsink/cooling?

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
asantaga

best approach for putting a headsink/cooling?

Post by asantaga »

hey all

as we all know the joggler's heatsink is misely , and no good for running linux etc ,I've seen a few examples of putting a heatsink on the joggler and wondering from the community which method is best? ie best instrcuctions, best heatsink etc?
Angelo
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: best approach for putting a headsink/cooling?

Post by BuZz »

Personally, I would just increase the throttle temp a bit and not bother hacking it.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

I'd second that. If you want to use the original casing, I'd definitely just increase the throttling temperature rather than hack up the case. There's really no need to do that. BuZz has instructions on all of his image download pages under 'Overheating / Throttling issues'.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Justblair

Post by Justblair »

Difficult to say what is the best. I think that this depends on your priorities...

http://www.justblair.co.uk/o2-joggler-i ... oling.html

I documented my heat-sink conversion here. I think it was very successful as a passively cooled solution. Even though it improves the cooling of the Joggler by a healthy margin, be aware that using a fan and a heat-sink together is likely to be the most practical way of cooling the device through prolonged processor intensive use.

Sheet aluminium can be purchased from metal merchants for a very low price, you need thicker stuff than you are likely to find in your typical diy chains.

Regards

Blair
Andrius

Post by Andrius »

What components needs to be cooled exactly? I'm asking because sheet aluminum heatsink seems a bit too complicated to make. I'm thinking of gluing one of these to the cpu and a bit smaller aluminum heatsink to the chip on the left in this picture. Are there any more chips that need to be cooled?
camberwell

Post by camberwell »

You know Andrius, Its strange i was thinking of doing the exact same thing this weekend and thinking about the other chips too.

I dont know the answer thouh. Does anyone?

I want to add better cooling so i can use my joggler as a torrent downloader / file sharing device with a portable hardrive.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

why do you need a heatsink for that ?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Torrent downloading and file sharing isn't going to make a Joggler get up to throttling temperature, even without editing the trip point. Save yourself the time and the cuts to your fingers - just put thermal.psv=80 in the grub.cfg file if you're using Ubuntu.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Andrius wrote:What components needs to be cooled exactly? I'm asking because sheet aluminum heatsink seems a bit too complicated to make. I'm thinking of gluing one of these to the cpu and a bit smaller aluminum heatsink to the chip on the left in this picture. Are there any more chips that need to be cooled?
The chip on the left is the CPU.

Personally I would not do this if you want to keep the original form factor of the Joggler. It is simply unnecessary.
camberwell

Post by camberwell »

Ok. I am using Ubuntu I have tried increasing the trip point an I still get slow downs. I am downloading with transmission and using a remote from my PC.

I am trying to stream 1080p through a fast enough USB hard drive and ethernet.

I think I have increased the trip points correctly. Can someone post an example grub file for me to check? Whats the max temp you use?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

post the contents of /boot/grub.cfg and the output of "sensors" from a terminal

for the stuff you are doing that dont require the screen on all the time 80c should be fine.

reagrding the streaming. you are watching 1080p on the joggler? or? if you are, what are you using to play it ? or you mean you are streaming via the joggler?
camberwell

Post by camberwell »

I'm watching 1080p on my media centre. Using the Joggler connected to a USB hard drive as a Nas serving the file.
camberwell

Post by camberwell »

I don't know how to get the outputs of the sensors.

sorry i am a bit crap.
gegs

Post by gegs »

camberwell wrote:I'm watching 1080p on my media centre. Using the Joggler connected to a USB hard drive as a Nas serving the file.
...and I thought I was the only person using the Joggler as a video streaming device! I stream video to my Apple TV2 from a portable drive attached to the Joggler and it's great. I've set up a video folder as a samba share in Ubuntu and it works really well. I also have XBMC on the ATV2 and can stream from the internet - but streaming from files stored on a share causes less problems with drop-outs and buffering.

The maximum output from the ATV2 is 720p but my 37 inch plasma is only 720p, so that's fine.
gegs

Post by gegs »

camberwell wrote:I don't know how to get the outputs of the sensors.
I think you were being asked to open a terminal, type the word "sensors" and hit enter - then post the resulting output on the forum.
Last edited by gegs on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camberwell

Post by camberwell »

Cheers gegs i will try this. :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

plus the contents of /boot/grub.cfg
Andrius

Post by Andrius »

roobarb! wrote: The chip on the left is the CPU.

Personally I would not do this if you want to keep the original form factor of the Joggler. It is simply unnecessary.
Thanks for that. I mixed up cpu and system hub.
I'm planning of removing the stand and whole back panel for a similar project so keeping original form factor is not really a priority :)
As for just increasing throttling temperature I'm not sure that's a good idea, because intel specifies shutoff temperature of 90C. I think it's not impossible for the chip to reach that under full load if throttling starts at 80C. I just like having a few degrees in reserve.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you can speculate like that, but I (and others) are actually running out jogglers with increased throttle temp for close to a year. if the cpu reaches tjunction max it should shutoff anyway, and I believe it will throttle 5c or so before that anyway. if you set the throttle temp to 80c and load the machine, i dont think you will get it much hotter than that.

im no hardware expert, but anyway. feel free to hack your joggler if you are worried.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BuZz wrote:you can speculate like that, but I (and others) are actually running out jogglers with increased throttle temp for close to a year. if the cpu reaches tjunction max it should shutoff anyway, and I believe it will throttle 5c or so before that anyway. if you set the throttle temp to 80c and load the machine, i dont think you will get it much hotter than that.
All my Jogglers run with 80degC as the throttle temperature. No problems with any of them.
BuZz wrote:im no hardware expert, but anyway. feel free to hack your joggler if you are worried.
There's something counterintuitive in that sentence. ;)