Writing a MAC address to Joggler NIC

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
pete

Re: Writing a MAC address to Joggler NIC

Post by pete »

For this to make any difference to an Efi build be it Xp , SqueezePlayOs or Xubuntu etc , does the build itself have to be tweaked in some way I.e does any fake or made up Mac address stuff have to be removed or altered in any way for it to work ?

Yes for XP (or W7, W8 or W10) and no for Linux based OS's (sort of).

With a complete NIC ROM you can now suspend and use WOL to wake up the joggler.

I do this with the wintel touchscreens. Before that typically remoted the LCD screens off at night.

Today I spoof mac addresses on my pfsense firewall (BSD) and other linux devices.

It is just that the NIC rom was left empty and filling it with the proper hardware stuff makes the Joggler complete.

This was more of an issue with Wintel based OS's as the NIC would always come up as a hardware error.

I am having an issue with wintel seeing the RTC add. Might move the RTC to a USB port. I think it will work then with Wintel.

would have cost nothing for him to come on here and share ....

Yes relating to my personal issue with concern mentioned; don't really care these days as I wrote him off literally.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for the explanation Pete :-) helpful as always .
I need a few more Jogglers to play with now ha ha , the four I gave are now all spoken for as part of my Sqplay plex server thingy set up ...

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Goofing around went to another Joggler to install Windows 10 on the new 64Gb SSD drive. Goofing a bit with the configuration of the set up looks like I am installing Windows 10 iOT now.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

@pete any chance if the nic programming software please as link no longer working.
Many Thank's
Andrew
pete

Post by pete »

Hello Andrew,

Here it is on Microsoft OneDrive:

This one is just the directory to write to a DOS boot stick.

hxxps://1drv.ms/u/s!Akj-Oin7_x0rgZJBRtyJ0hoWOzCuKw?e=JiNVez

It included the MAC ROM editor, Seabios ROM and Avaya ROMs. Recall that initially you have to install the Seabios ROM then you will be able to boot to a USB DOS stick.

Here is an image file of the DOS boot stick. I think it is the same as the above directory.

hxxps://1drv.ms/u/s!Akj-Oin7_x0rgZJD0GV3aT3O4dTtyw?e=N5GA2N
- Pete

Auto mater
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Cheers Pete
Downloading now. going to try tomorrow. I will let you know how i get on.
Many Thank's
Andrew
Andrew1971

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
An Update reread the 1st post and still no joy on trying it.
steps 4 and 8 what does LS mean
steps 7 and 10 is that done on linux or windows
I dont want to break the 1 joggler i have so being very careful not to.
Many Thank's
Andrew

PS
Just a thought can this be done with XP so it can be done off line
without internet.
pete

Post by pete »

Hello @Andrew1971,

Weird here posted a step by step response yesterday and do not see it today.

LS is lower case ls and is the same as dir in windows.

It is easiest to boot in to a dos boot stick. Before you can do that though you have to write the seabios rom to the joggler rom.

I have put both roms on to the usb stick image.
- Pete

Auto mater
joggy

Post by joggy »

22)

to write 80:C8:62:00:00:01 on openframe you have to run
pg8168.exe /nodeid 80C862000001
(so without the :s)

23)
You need to reboot and press F7 for this. (the backup rom should be in root of disk named UPGRADE.ROM as described above)

the OS did not have ethtool installed so I did a 'dmesg |grep eth' and saw this entry:
[ 1.236998] r8169 0000:01:00.0 eth0: RTL8168c/8111c at 0xe0342000, 80:c8:62:00:00:01, XID 1c4000c0 IRQ 40

So I assume the programming worked.

But since ubuntu changed the address I had to change the MAC in:
/boot/network.yaml

macaddress: 80:c8:62:00:00:01
joggy

Post by joggy »

Also to be able to press F7 I added an USB hub and put the keyboard and the USB stick in there.... Otherwise it was either keys or an usb stick ;-)
pete

Post by pete »

Apologies ...I am reading this for the first time and assuming you gave the jogglers each a unique mac address..

Here sync'd the unique mac address a bit to the IP address (last 2 characters) and name...joggler-01, joggler-02 ....
- Pete

Auto mater
joggy

Post by joggy »

The link in the first post was dead and I went searching and found a linux program to change the mac which does not seem to work but maybe someone else has more luck. https://git.sysmocom.de/sysmocom/rtl8168-eeprom

Code: Select all

sudo -i
of-install build
apt install pkgconf libpci-dev
wget https://git.sysmocom.de/sysmocom/rtl8168-eeprom/raw/branch/master/Makefile
wget https://git.sysmocom.de/sysmocom/rtl8168-eeprom/raw/branch/master/rtl8168-eeprom.c
make
./rtl8168-eeprom  
initializing pci access
building filter
starting bus iteration
found matching device (01:00.0), base_addr=0xfef10000 (len=0)
EEPROM Magic !OK
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

joggy wrote:The link in the first post was dead and I went searching and found a linux program to change the mac which does not seem to work but maybe someone else has more luck. https://git.sysmocom.de/sysmocom/rtl8168-eeprom

Code: Select all

sudo -i
of-install build
apt install pkgconf libpci-dev
wget https://git.sysmocom.de/sysmocom/rtl8168-eeprom/raw/branch/master/Makefile
wget https://git.sysmocom.de/sysmocom/rtl8168-eeprom/raw/branch/master/rtl8168-eeprom.c
make
./rtl8168-eeprom  
initializing pci access
building filter
starting bus iteration
found matching device (01:00.0), base_addr=0xfef10000 (len=0)
EEPROM Magic !OK
@pete will sort you with a new link I'm sure Image

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
keynet

Post by keynet »

Long time...!
I thought I'd share an issue I had on my 3rd Joggler, bought recently - adding the MAC address - see if there's an easier workaround

I used a recent sqplayos to flash the SEABIOS, as I'd done before - OK.
But when I came to boot it, I couldn't get the USB keyboard and USB stick to be recognised simultaneously via the unpowered hub that I used before.
Each alone was OK.
I tried a powered hub (part of my monitor) in case power was the issue - same.
Tried other keyboards and sticks in various combos, none worked together.
(Also SEABIOS wouldn't boot the reflasher on a stick)

In the end, I took the Joggler apart, replaced the Wi-Fi card for the DOS boot USB stick, so kbd and stick on separate ports.
Then it all proceeded as expected.

I wondered if there was any magic step I've been missing, or perhaps this was just a corner case ?
pete

Post by pete »

No magic and probably just a fluke (corner case?) that it wouldn't boot to the DOS stick.

It's been a long time here since I have done this. I have done what you did and it worked for me also. Thinking it might be related to the draw of the WiFi stick in there.

All of the O2 Jogglers post NIC card update have taken them back to using the EFI Avaya boot bios from the Seabios. These are all Squeezebox players today.

The Openpeak devices I have left in Seabios mode because of running embedded Windows on them. The image of the stick I posted is an all in one image with the Seabios and EFI bios. You just have to rename it such that the Seabios automagically uses the file name when booting and hitting the function key on boot.

It's been many years of 24/7 being on and they all work like new today other than the eMMC being worn down a tad. The mostly modded Openpeaks with SSD cards are doing fine. The Squeezeplayers now use little USB sticks to boot Squeezeplayer.
- Pete

Auto mater
alexis92

Post by alexis92 »

Just out of curiosity, what kind of replacement WiFi card should one be looking for here, should the need arise?