can joggler PLAY DSD stream with a ES9028Q2M USB DAC

Everything relating to hacking, expanding and modifying the Joggler hardware.
Post Reply
cszhy
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:25 am

can joggler PLAY DSD stream with a ES9028Q2M USB DAC

Post by cszhy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 am

Hi there:

I have a USB DAC with a ES9028Q2M decoding chip which can decode up to DSD 256 stream.
but it doesn't support to connect with a mobile hard-drive .and it only support 128g usb stick for maximum.
I just wondering whether it can be connecting with the joggler and a mobile hd to steam DSD files?

if yes, how?

anyone tried before?
the following link is the dac I have
https://atoin.com/catalog/china/audio-s ... 53656.html

thanks

Johnny

Man in a van
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:39 pm
Location: Staffordshire. UK

Re: can joggler PLAY DSD stream with a ES9028Q2M USB DAC

Post by Man in a van » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Depends on what OS you are using on the Joggler and if there is a driver for it

User avatar
hawsey
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: can joggler PLAY DSD stream with a ES9028Q2M USB DAC

Post by hawsey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Man in a van wrote:Depends on what OS you are using on the Joggler and if there is a driver for it
Xubuntu would probably be the one to test on first then Squeezeplay OS after if that works .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling

cszhy
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:25 am

Re: can joggler PLAY DSD stream with a ES9028Q2M USB DAC

Post by cszhy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:21 am

hawsey wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:37 pm
Man in a van wrote:Depends on what OS you are using on the Joggler and if there is a driver for it
Xubuntu would probably be the one to test on first then Squeezeplay OS after if that works .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
I have Squeezeplay OS on the joggler. just don't know how to use it to steam DSD files.
seems there is no LMS with the OS
because when I try to access the ip address of my joggler with the port 9000,
there is nothing.

User avatar
hawsey
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: can joggler PLAY DSD stream with a ES9028Q2M USB DAC

Post by hawsey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:40 am

Squeezeplay OS is built on the back of a very lightweight Xubuntu build so that it fits on the Jogglers internal memory .
If you put Xubuntu which has Squeezeplay built in to it on to a memory stick first then you can see if you can get your set up working like that first , then if you can it can't be that difficult to then apply that to the Squeezeplay OS build I'm sure Roobarb or others here would help you if you get that far .

A couple of words of advice , sometimes with Squeezeplay OS installed booting the efi usb stick is harder so you may have to reflash stock OS first , just bear this in mind in case you have problems .
Also it might be advisable to set the thermal trip point Thermal Psv = 80 so the build doesn't throttle , try it without first .
A keyboard and mouse will also be advisable .

Good luck :-)
Report back

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling

Man in a van
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:39 pm
Location: Staffordshire. UK

Re: can joggler PLAY DSD stream with a ES9028Q2M USB DAC

Post by Man in a van » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:30 am

cszhy wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:21 am
hawsey wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:37 pm
Man in a van wrote:Depends on what OS you are using on the Joggler and if there is a driver for it
Xubuntu would probably be the one to test on first then Squeezeplay OS after if that works .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
I have Squeezeplay OS on the joggler. just don't know how to use it to steam DSD files.
seems there is no LMS with the OS
because when I try to access the ip address of my joggler with the port 9000,
there is nothing.
Where do you have your DSD files stored and how do you access them?

Do you have a LMS instance running on another computer or do you connect to MySqueezebox dot com.

If you want to continue with the Joggler you will need a usb stick with Squeezeplay and LMS installed.

It is one thing having a Dac which can playback DSD files but if the mfg only provides Windows or Mac drivers then unless you run LMS on either of these OS then you will be scuppered if there is no Linux support.

Have a read over here

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... -9-and-DSD

I don't bother with DSD as it seems a complete faff to set up properly.

You can also use foobar on a Windows OS to playback DSD, google is your friend here, it might give you some experience of doing a setup.

I can't help any further, sorry, but it's not something I really know about.

Maybe a raspberry pi 3b with LMS on is a better way for you, you can use the Joggler as a controller, but even then you will need an OS than supports the DAC you intend to use.

atb

Ronnie

Man in a van
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:39 pm
Location: Staffordshire. UK

Re: can joggler PLAY DSD stream with a ES9028Q2M USB DAC

Post by Man in a van » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:31 am

Just to add that to play DSD from a Joggler I used the following set-up about two years ago to play some sample DSD files from a link that I have long since lost. I think they were played backed as DOP or something (I can't remember).

A litttle google finds a link

https://www.audiostream.com/content/ayr ... comparison

So the set-up went like this

Hana usb2 hub plugged into the Joggler usb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-USB-2-0-H ... B0017X0R20

The following plugged into the hub:

A usb stick with external Squeezeplay installed.

LMS installed on the OS (start with the default and then upgrade to the latest nightly

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... 1_i386.deb

and the EDO app installed (search on this forum).

You will also need to do some updating so also search for the folder kindly supplied by Karlek on this forum, that lets you do this.

The usb connection cable to the dac is also connected to the hub and if necessary also the hard disk containing your music files if they are not reachable on a NAS or computer.


All this can be done on a rpi3b with a lot less fuss.

You will need to maybe play with the settings in Squeezelite, which is easier on the raspberry pi.

If you have little or not much experience of doing this sort of thing it may be better to use picorePlayer OS which is pretty friendly or the Max2play OS, they both give a web based gui which is easier than using the cmd via ssh.

None of it will work if there is no driver for the dac.

atb

Ronnie.

cszhy
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:25 am

Re: can joggler PLAY DSD stream with a ES9028Q2M USB DAC

Post by cszhy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:11 pm

hawsey wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:40 am
Squeezeplay OS is built on the back of a very lightweight Xubuntu build so that it fits on the Jogglers internal memory .
If you put Xubuntu which has Squeezeplay built in to it on to a memory stick first then you can see if you can get your set up working like that first , then if you can it can't be that difficult to then apply that to the Squeezeplay OS build I'm sure Roobarb or others here would help you if you get that far .

A couple of words of advice , sometimes with Squeezeplay OS installed booting the efi usb stick is harder so you may have to reflash stock OS first , just bear this in mind in case you have problems .
Also it might be advisable to set the thermal trip point Thermal Psv = 80 so the build doesn't throttle , try it without first .
A keyboard and mouse will also be advisable .

Good luck :-)
Report back


Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
thanks for the advice! as I remember the PNPIII used to have LMS installed with it. maybe i can flash it back to the internal memory .

cszhy
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:25 am

Re: can joggler PLAY DSD stream with a ES9028Q2M USB DAC

Post by cszhy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Man in a van wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:31 am
Just to add that to play DSD from a Joggler I used the following set-up about two years ago to play some sample DSD files from a link that I have long since lost. I think they were played backed as DOP or something (I can't remember).

A litttle google finds a link

https://www.audiostream.com/content/ayr ... comparison

So the set-up went like this

Hana usb2 hub plugged into the Joggler usb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-USB-2-0-H ... B0017X0R20

The following plugged into the hub:

A usb stick with external Squeezeplay installed.

LMS installed on the OS (start with the default and then upgrade to the latest nightly

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... 1_i386.deb

and the EDO app installed (search on this forum).

You will also need to do some updating so also search for the folder kindly supplied by Karlek on this forum, that lets you do this.

The usb connection cable to the dac is also connected to the hub and if necessary also the hard disk containing your music files if they are not reachable on a NAS or computer.


All this can be done on a rpi3b with a lot less fuss.

You will need to maybe play with the settings in Squeezelite, which is easier on the raspberry pi.

If you have little or not much experience of doing this sort of thing it may be better to use picorePlayer OS which is pretty friendly or the Max2play OS, they both give a web based gui which is easier than using the cmd via ssh.

None of it will work if there is no driver for the dac.

atb

Ronnie.
thanks Ronnie, I will study the links

User avatar
hawsey
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: can joggler PLAY DSD stream with a ES9028Q2M USB DAC

Post by hawsey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:46 pm

cszhy wrote:
hawsey wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:40 am
Squeezeplay OS is built on the back of a very lightweight Xubuntu build so that it fits on the Jogglers internal memory .
If you put Xubuntu which has Squeezeplay built in to it on to a memory stick first then you can see if you can get your set up working like that first , then if you can it can't be that difficult to then apply that to the Squeezeplay OS build I'm sure Roobarb or others here would help you if you get that far .

A couple of words of advice , sometimes with Squeezeplay OS installed booting the efi usb stick is harder so you may have to reflash stock OS first , just bear this in mind in case you have problems .
Also it might be advisable to set the thermal trip point Thermal Psv = 80 so the build doesn't throttle , try it without first .
A keyboard and mouse will also be advisable .

Good luck :-)
Report back


Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
thanks for the advice! as I remember the PNPIII used to have LMS installed with it. maybe i can flash it back to the internal memory .
Yep PNP III latest update has Squeezeplay on it :-)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling

Post Reply