software

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
DAVE1975

software

Post by DAVE1975 »

When i power up my joggler the screen just comes up with the openpeak logo is there a fix for that
Leonardo

Re: software

Post by Leonardo »

Did you try to boot with an external USB device? Like one of the images you can find on Exotica.org.
DAVE1975

Post by DAVE1975 »

Leonardo is any chance you could send a link and some instuctions on what to do thanks
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

If you are happy with the openpeak software, you may not need to go down the route of another os working from a usb - this is really only if you want a different os or if the suggestion I'm about to make doesn't work.

Have you tried reflashing the os first? This usually works (not always!) Take a look at this topic.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =860#p9413

It may help you get back the stock os and then you can jazz it up with PNPIII. Any questions, just ask.
DAVE1975

Post by DAVE1975 »

The thing is ive really not got a clue what im doing with it can you put the original software that was on it the one with o2 calender
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

You sound like me!

Yes. You can create a new image on a usb with the blue o2 icons or a new openpeak image with the colourful icons, which is what you had before it stuck by the sounds of things. In either case, you won't get many useful apps out of these. If you look at the link I gave you, offbeatdave has created a very comprehensive guide detailing how to create a usb stick with the openpeak image on it (I won't explain how this works as i've not a clue - but it does) and it should contain all the links to the downloads you need. It 'should' restore the operating system you had.

If it does, then you can create another usb with pnpiii on it and load this on once you're back up and running. This will have iplayer on it, youtube on it, internet radio, squeezeplay (a way to listen to your own music), some news feeds and games. This is loaded on the internal memory of your joggler so it's basically a tarted up version of what you had before.

There are other os you can use which boot directly from a usb which remains sticking out of your joggler (or a hub). There's a topic headed joggler sofware releases on the forum. If you fancy moving away from the stock os (which you may want to do in future) then take a look at what else is offered.

For the moment, to get it work, have a read through the guide and look at the thread, it has all the links to the downloads you'll need.

I'm sure if I've missed something out, someone will jump in and correct me!
DAVE1975

Post by DAVE1975 »

i can't find how to get the image on to a usb stick i really don't have a clue
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Did you look at the guide mentioned at the start of the very first post?

Don't worry, i'll talk you through it when i get home if anyone else hadn't beaten me to it.
DAVE1975

Post by DAVE1975 »

that will be great thanks
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Ok. I've copied these instructions written by offbeatdave directly from the link I gave you. This is purely to get your joggler to boot - not to load any extras on it (which will come later if you want it). Follow this comprehensive step by step and you should be ok. These instructions are if you are using windows. Use a clean/empty usb.

TROUBLESHOOTING AND REINSTALLING
On rare occasions, the Joggler may fail to boot and may ‘hang’ on the initial o2 or OpenPeak screen. If the Joggler does this without booting for 5 minutes on several successive occasions, it may need ‘reflashing’. This can be done as follows:

1) Download this file to your PC from ftp://ftp.exotica.org.uk/pub/joggler/fi ... -14.img.gz (230Mb download - unzips to 400Mb so a small USB will do)
2) Extract the .img file using WinRAR or similar
3) Use a program called Win32DiskImager on your PC to write the .img file to a USB stick
4) Insert the newly created USB stick into a switched off Joggler and boot it up.
5) After a bit of USB activity on the o2 or OpenPeak first boot screen it should go through a reflashing sequence (on a blue screen).
6) When finished, it should say 'Ready' on a green screen.
7) Take out the stick, reboot (by pulling the plug!) and hopefully you'll have a working Joggler, ready to move onto the next stage. Note that some USB sticks do not work. Most should but the odd one will not – it’s a process of trial and error.

Basically, you are downloading and extracting one image file. And downloading one programme (Win32DiskImager https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.1/0.1). You need this programme to write the extracted image to your usb. Just copying the file over will not work.

Let me know which, if any, of these steps you don't get.

When I joined the forum in desperation last year I knew absolutely nothing. If I can do it, anyone can.
DAVE1975

Post by DAVE1975 »

when you use win 32 do you have to have to press the read button then when that is done press the write button as nothing seems to go on the usb stick ive tried two of the now
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I'm doing this from memory - my pc is off and takes forever to boot...

In the top box browse for and select the unzipped image file you are going to write. In the drive box make sure you select the usb - I think the results of selecting the wrong bit here could be disasterous. Then click on write.
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAVE1975

Post by DAVE1975 »

Don't seem to having much luck it won't write oh well
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Now for the silly questions. Is it doing anything at all? Did you unzip the file? Are you selecting the unzipped file? Are you making sure that all the relevent boxes have the correct info in them before you click on write? Have you tried a different usb?
DAVE1975

Post by DAVE1975 »

when you down load the file where do you save it to or do you open it
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

DAVE1975 wrote:when you use win 32 do you have to have to press the read button then when that is done press the write button as nothing seems to go on the usb stick ive tried two of the now
If you've done a read then chances are you've overwritten your original image file with the original contents of your USB stick

Read - writes the contents of the USB stick to the image file

Write - writes the contents of the image file to the USB stick
Last edited by spoyser on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAVE1975

Post by DAVE1975 »

yes i press the read button and it works ok then nothing happens when you press the write button
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

in which case you may need to download the image again. save wherever is easy for you find it. unzip it, don't (can't?) open it.

Don't read it on win32. You only need to write it to usb drive.
DAVE1975

Post by DAVE1975 »

still not getting any might just buy a new joggler
spoyser

Post by spoyser »

DAVE1975 wrote:still not getting any might just buy a new joggler
I would persevere, as a Joggler owner you are almost certainly going to have to get used to using DiskImager!