Enabling SSH and SCP - New Easy Method

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jim_lewis1

Re: Enabling SSH and SCP - New Easy Method

Post by jim_lewis1 »

OK, here is where I get confused:
1. Logging in as User-Joggler Password-Joggler I expect to need to use sudo or switch to su, however I get the error that neither of these commands are known -sh su not found
2. Logging in as root I thought the password was blank, however i'm unable to log on this way

It's highly likly that what I'm trying to do won't work anyway, but I can't even get pas tthe login!

(I'd like to install the Chrome browser and use Netfllix and Chromecast from the Joggler)
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I'm using Roobarbs SqPOS so the users may be different, I presume you're on some sort of stock OS?
Have you actually had any unauthorised errors when logged in as joggler and running a command that should require root permissions? If the SU and Sudo commands aren't available I'm wondering if they're needed anyway, the Joggler user might already have root permissions anyway.
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

i'm using PnPIII
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Think is has root permissions. Never had any need to even try sudo/su on stock OS (PnP III).

Edit: Confirmed below by a man who knows rather than thinks!
Last edited by offbeatdave on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

If you're using an OpenPeak OS of any type, there's no sudo. You just do - you're already the root user. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
sanjap

Post by sanjap »

roobarb! wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:48 pm If you're using an OpenPeak OS of any type, there's no sudo. You just do - you're already the root user. :)
Thanks. SSH working. How do i enable apt-get ?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

sanjap wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 5:41 am
roobarb! wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:48 pm If you're using an OpenPeak OS of any type, there's no sudo. You just do - you're already the root user. :)
Thanks. SSH working. How do i enable apt-get ?
You don't, I'm afraid; not on the OpenPeak OS. There are no repositories that support it.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)