What is the best XP for offline use?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jogglermad

What is the best XP for offline use?

Post by jogglermad »

Hi all.

Long time lurker first time poster :)

What is the best XP version here for offline use?

I'm going to be removing the internal wifi adapter.

I have a class 4 microsd in this Image

but I am also going to be using an external HDD for the activities so I may just run xp off the external hdd if it is faster/better.

All advice appreciated :)

Thank you.
Mevi

Re: What is the best XP for offline use?

Post by Mevi »

XP is definitely waaaay better on a HDD.. the slow small file write speed on a SD card or a USB stick will make life miserable for you. You won't be able to power a HDD on an unpowered hub. :)

I suppose I should plug my XP build, which I use myself on a 24/7 network streaming Joggler. It's very hard to kill, I've found. Just uninstall anything that doesn't interest you.

Have a good read about the outstanding problems with XP in post #1 of my build 3 thread. It might be that you'll want to keep that internal WIFI for syncing the time (the joggler doesn't have a battery powered clock) if the Ethernet doesn't work on your particular Joggler. Currently, sound is limited to working on BOTH the speakers and headphones simultaneously, or use the alternative drivers posted and put up with low level digital fizz from the speakers (or you can cut the speaker wires).
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
Andrew1971

Re: What is the best XP for offline use?

Post by Andrew1971 »

Hi All
Yes i agree with Mevi XP is best on HDD mine's been running for weeks with no problem at all.
My joggler config is. I have removed internal wifi card and put it on a usb hub using the one usb port outside.
Then mini drilled a hole in back of joggler case so the usb cable come's out side in to usb HDD.
The HDD i am using is from tesco a 320gig toshiba portable harddrive it's usb powered. :D
Hope this helps.
Many Thanks
Andrew