Kodi (Formerly XBMC) Dev/Beta Builds

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: XBMC Dev/Beta Builds

Post by BuZz »

mint is pretty hefty. you might be better off with xubuntu. or ubuntu base and adding the stuff you need (choose a window manager etc)
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you Buzz. Really I don't know what I am doing and just goofing around a bit with this Openframe 2.

So your recommendation is to try to start with a thin build right on the 2 Gb flash memory and work from there?

I was just going to utilize your Linux Mint for Joggler boot stick to work the flash memory via telnet et all.

A build from scratch would also work nicely. I am not sure though on the speed as you mentioned earlier; so I was going to initially try the USB XBMC build copying that over to the flash memory to see how fast it would work first.

I've only done this with a headliess ARM CPU (Dockstar, PogoPlug and Chumby) stuff and never have tried or attempted this stuff with an Intel CPU though. I did get the video going just fine with the Dockstar and the Mimo connected USB monitor.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Going very slowly with this effort; some major baby steps...

Today restored old EFI booting rom from Seabios. That is really all I did. PlugnPlay 5 minutes.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Would Xbmc os not work Pete?
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

I haven't tried it yet on the Openframe 2.

Linux Mint sound works fine though.

I've only used XBMC for the Jogglers and I've gone to using the USB digital sound card for that one.

Might not even be worth the effort depending on the speed of the built in flash rom.

Going to go really slow though...a little bit at a time as I really don't know what I am doing.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I was able to install XBMC on the Openframe 2 2 Gb flashdisk.

Have a bit more space to expanded the partition a bit. Works well. Radio and video stream fine.

Updated build with your XBMC Dev/Beta Builds stuff.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:Would XBMC fit on the 2Gb flash drive in the Openframe2 boxes? Would it be too slow?
Give it a shot! The internal storage on the OF2 is much faster than the Joggler. You may be in luck!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Buzz and roobarb!

Yeah; its been working fine now for the last couple of days. It is fast or similiar to the USB stick. I have filled it up a few times so "joggling" plugins to make room. Yesterday I did install a home automation plugin plus a zoneminder plugin; both manually by just copying them over and rebooting; worked. It does well with video (NAS) and my PlayOnTV streaming stuff. Trying to get the MythTV DVR/Live TV streaming going but think I do not have enough space. Easy to fill it up. Attached are some VNC XBMC screen shots. For whatever reason it also appears that touch works a bit faster or is more sensitive. That said though the Openframe 2 I am playing with has been abused somewhat with a loose LCD and speaker cover. I think this is a phone hub one. I'm wondering if folks are just throwing these away as they become disfunctional and also wondering how many different ones were deployed as beta's or for real use?
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p3 1.7G 1.5G 72K 100% /
udev 242M 4.0K 242M 1% /dev
tmpfs 99M 892K 98M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 247M 0 247M 0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1 61M 18M 44M 28% /boot
root@joggler:~#
root@joggler:~# uname -srv
Linux 3.2.20joggler1 #9 SMP Sat Jun 16 14:14:21 UTC 2012
root@joggler:~# hwclock
Sat Feb 16 12:20:35 2013 -0.845291 seconds
root@joggler:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise
Off on a tangent.....Wierd though the phone that came with it will not pair up to my VOIP dect hub and its a Openpeak labeled phone. The Verizon labeled OpenPeak DECT phone pairs up fine with the VOIP box; just works to dial and receive calls; disfunctional though with the date and time stuff.
Attachments
xbmc-3.jpg
xbmc-2.jpg
xbmc-1.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Switched screens to Joggler XBMC screens; very impressive!
Attachments
jogglerscreens.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I am now including xbmc 13 builds. Current build is xbmc 13 just after the alpha release.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Are builds linked here (ie gotham) suitable to try for everyday use or are they only meant for testing/bug reporting?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Unless you are happy to fix things if they break, I would say testting, but up to you.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Updated with XBMC 13 (Gotham) - Alpha 3
jazzman7411

Post by jazzman7411 »

Tried the update on illiac's xbmc distro. Seems quite resourceful on playback.
pete

Post by pete »

Redid kind of from scratch the 2 Gb build updating the original Ubuntu build then manually adding the v13. Appears to be running a bit faster. Will test it today on a USB stick to see how it runs.
Attachments
Pic-2.jpg
Pic-1.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

BuZz,

I really have "mucked" up some here. I am using your base Ubuntu updated. That said put on newest XBMC and its working. I did remove the wireless card and am doing this only via the network card. The Openframe 2 has a "clock" battery which helps a bunch.

On the network side of XBMC (internal and external) I can stream (audio and video) just fine. I am having problems though with SSH and VNC remote access. For whatever reason it'll work just fine then just disconnects me. It might be just that the OS plus XBMC on the 2gb MMC partition is too much stuff?

Your newest ubuntu base though did load up your newest video drivers and picks up the audio chip (which is different than the O2 Joggler) just fine.
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

cant really help much without some logs. check output of "dmesg", and contents of /var/log/syslog. maybe vnc server is crashing ? if there is an out of memory issue that will be logged in dmesg (dmesg >/home/joggler/outfile.txt) to save it out.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you buzz.

I put a delay in starting the ethernet interface in rc.local and it made it worse.

Not really using VNC but rather just SSH. Works for a few minutes then disconnects me. On the XBMC side out via the network it is always working.

Sometimes though it doesn't connect. Will look at dmesg.

The delay seemed to have messed with the ethernet interface boot; so booted to Linux Mint and mounting the partition to edit the rc.local file. I did a hard set removing the autonegociate on the ethernet interface with ethtools and it seemed to work a bit better.

Its really my fault for playing with the little tight 2 Gb XBMC build. I wonder now if the whole thing would run better using an 8-16 gb SD card inside of the box or even a little SSD SATA connected to the PCiE slot or just connect the PATA interface to the an SSD drive instead of trying to use the MMC stuff on the motherboard. I did find "mini" PCiE single slot SATA drives.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Duh; it was a duplicate IP address with another Joggler. Working fine now.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I started at the build with XBMC around 1.2Gb letting it run last night with some base stuff.

I expanded the cache drive a bit but this morning it was at around 100%.

That said though its doing well with radio / video streaming stuff in and outside to the internet.

I don't have any of the PVR stuff running and have not installed it yet.
- Pete

Auto mater