Kodi (Formerly XBMC) Dev/Beta Builds

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
-=xXx=-

Re: XBMC Dev/Beta Builds

Post by -=xXx=- »

Hi... I'm trying to run XBMC on squeezeplay os and getting this error:

Error: unable to open display
XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver.

Please consult XBMC Wiki for supported hardware
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware

Is there any fix for it ?

Thanks
pete

Post by pete »

Try doing an upgrade via SSH; IE: sudo apt get install update then sudo apt get install upgrade.

On a differerent endeavor here yesterday to kind of start from scratch; I rebuilt the XBMC setup by using the posted Ubuntu ext4 build then added XBMC afterwards.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

It is not so easy...
Squeezeplay os maybe use modified video driver or output device...
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah; what is the base OS of the Squeezeplay build?

I never did pay attention when I installed it.

I did upgrade the video using Buzz's Ubuntu build with my newer XBMC OS only build. HD video is still a bit slow though with the Intel chip.

I then though installed a Broadcom CrystalHD card to see how it would perform and its like night and day.

HD streams 1080P / live video just fine now. That aside though the video performance in general is much quicker. This is related though to the Openframe 2. I have decided though not to hardware modify (solder) on to one board and just saving it. That said the same as Joggler PATA ZIF port and a micro SD port traces are there such that I may go to using those on "experiment" #2. If possible on the O2 Joggler; just moving the base OS via EFI to the ZIF PATA drive would give much more space for the OS and it really wouldn't be that much of a modification. The major change though would be to utilize only the 1Gb MMC build in chip and whatever for a PATA ZIF drive.

Goofing around a bit a couple of years ago with the "chumby" (arm based) devices I would start a Linux base on the little micro SD in the device; then check if I had plugged in a CF card; if so chroot to the CF card for more stuff; so I kind of divided up the OS into different media. The CF card would either boot a very simple x windows into an application or go into something more beefier; but I was limited there to only 800Mhz.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Squeezeplay os based on Ubuntu 10.04.
You have micro sd ways on the board ? Jogglers also have them ? I soldered PATA connector maybe later I would use CF card but for now I will play with internal storage and USB Flash.
In general I want some small linux distro that would fit internal storage and to run basic services as apache bind asterisk and some kind of screen saver with clock and weather with photos on background.
pete

Post by pete »

The O2 Joggler only has the PATA port. You cannot fit a CF card in there. I use a PATA 16Gb ($20 USD) ZIF connected drive. Playing around with up to two hacked USB ports inside; I have issues. I do though have a setup that boots and SSD USB mini stick (stripped case) wired directly to a USB port and it boots but is still a bit slow using EFI.

The O2 Joggler does not have micro SD traces on it. It only has the 1Gb non removable MMC and a 1Mb EFI removable flash chip on it. You probably could modify the board (it would be a hassle) such that you could have removable MMC SD on it. There might be undocumented traces on the board for a second MMC card; who knows.

You could also rewrite the EFI boot flash such that it sees the PATA ZIF drive when booting via EFI. IE: Seabios sees the PATA port.

That said the Openframe 2 has a sort of CMOS battery in it that keeps the clock correct. Even though the Openframe 2 is a PITA to take apart it has a better and faster feature set on the motherboard and the speakers are in the front. Its also modular with the back table bracket being removable and that makes it easier to mount on a wall. Today wanted to keep one motherboard intact moving the 2Gb XBMC build now running to another Openframe 2 motherboard. Very modular stuff. For your needs too you can connect a webcam to the top of the Openframe 2 and use it for communications. (microphone is built in to device).

Just strip away the SP OS pieces on the Ubuntu 10.04 build on a USB stick; make it tiny. Do your stuff on the USB stick. When you like it then make an image of it and put it on at fat32 stick. Boot up in one of Buzz's Linux builds and then DD the image over to the 1Gb MMC. If you want to tweak it some more just plug in a keyboard and a mouse and do your stuff. Works for me.

If you mess up you can always boot back up from the USB and put in the original OS on the MMC card. I have no issues with a USB connected keyboard and mouse talking to the Ubuntu 11.04 build even though its bigger.
- Pete

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

I like to work more through ssh ...
Regarding CF I wanted to connect it through ZIF-CF adapter.
And there exist Squeezeplay os for internal and it is working good, I simply wanted to customize it for my own use I need only some kind of media center (and if there would be browser it would be even perfect.
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; here I have been testing on my workbench. The CF card to ZIF does work except I couldn't find much room inside of the O2 Joggler for it unless you cut a hole in the back for the zif cable. I did try a USB SSD (removing the USB port and soldering wires) to fit on the left side with the USB wireless stick but they got a bit warm.

I would then just install the base Joggler internal version of OS and SP on a stick instead of the 1 Gb MMC card built into the Joggler and then just SSH to the O2 Joggler and tweak it to your needs. I do not know right now how much space that the SP plus the Ubuntu 10.04 utilizes. This way you can play with what is on the stick then later resize the partition using Gparted such that it fits on the 1Gb MMC internally.

That said though I do have a network switch sitting there which I always utilize. Mostly do utilize the server I have sitting there and do SSH to the O2 Joggler or the Openframe 2. Easier. That said my experimental devices are mostly in pieces these days kept together with tape.
- Pete

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

I get chromius browser with flash plugin working on squeezeplay os ... xmbc shows only logo after that crashes (there is any possibility to see log )... so this os with some kind of launcher would be excellent alternative to standard one...
pete

Post by pete »

Then at an SSH prompt using current repositories; update the build then update xinit; a little bit at a time. Baby steps.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

xxx,

I installed SP OS on Joggler. Updated build. Installed Chromium browser. I am not sure though what you are looking to do? Can you run Chromium browser from SP?

Give me a step by step of what you are trying to do.
- Pete

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

XBMC Gotham 13 RC1 is available on the joggler-testing ppa.

Xeebo skin is not compatible. I had some issues when running it first and it went into xeebo, but it worked after removing the old /home/joggler/.xbmc folder (Could have been skin, or some other setting causing an issue).
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

I tried version 13 on SqueezePlay OS it lounch shows the screen but crashes right away.
I get flowing errors:
00:20:23 T:3046754912 ERROR: CSettingsManager: unable to load settings from special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml, creating new default settings
00:20:25 T:3046754912 ERROR: GLX: Same window as before, refreshing context
00:20:25 T:3046754912 ERROR: Unable to resolve exports from dll libcurl-gnutls.so.4
00:20:25 T:3046754912 ERROR: PVR - CreateTables - failed to get add-ons from the add-on manager
00:20:26 T:3046754912 NOTICE: Running the application...
00:20:26 T:2965371760 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
00:20:27 T:2947545968 NOTICE: Thread JobWorker start, auto delete: true
00:20:27 T:3046754912 ERROR: CZeroconfAvahi::CZeroconfAvahi(): Could not create client
00:20:27 T:3046754912 NOTICE: starting zeroconf publishing
00:20:27 T:3046754912 NOTICE: ES: Starting event server
00:20:27 T:2903489392 NOTICE: Thread AlarmClock start, auto delete: false
00:20:27 T:2920274800 NOTICE: Thread EventServer start, auto delete: false
00:20:27 T:2920274800 NOTICE: ES: Starting UDP Event server on 0.0.0.0:9777
00:20:27 T:2920274800 NOTICE: UDP: Listening on port 9777
00:20:27 T:2911882096 NOTICE: Thread TCPServer start, auto delete: false
00:20:27 T:2928667504 NOTICE: Thread JobWorker start, auto delete: true
00:20:27 T:3029429104 NOTICE: Thread RSSReader start, auto delete: false

############### END LOG FILE ################

############ END XBMC CRASH LOG #############

What can cause crash?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

that is not a full log - please use a site like xbmclogs.com - how did you install xbmc 13 ?

Note I do not support running my XBMC packages on anything else other than my linux distros ) (on which they are tested). BTW Gotham 13 is now in the ppa:jools/joggler repository - this thread is about development builds only.
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

I uploaded full log here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=200992

there is 12.3 version available maybe to try it.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

is this from the joggler-testing ppa or the joggler ppa ?

some link library issue with libcurl there at least (missing symbol / version mismatch)

in any case, the 10.04 build is totally untested and I am unlikely to fix it if it is broken (I don't intent to keep supporting 10.04). If you want a new XBMC then I recommend to try out my 14.04 pre-release over at the Ubuntu/Xubuntu thread - http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 480#p21677
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

I used joggler ppa.
I wanted something that will fit into internal flash and now it is fully fitting but not working...
on SqueezePlay OS v2 it works but is really slow cause of missing video driver... is it difficult to incorporate video driver into SqueezePlay OS v2 it uses ubuntu 12.04 ?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Why use the internal flash ? It will only wear out and leave you with a bricked joggler - much better to wear out a cheap usb stick. USB sticks can be a lot quicker too.

I assume Roobarb! wanted a newer kernel and such, and didn't want to mess around trying to shoehorn an ancient Xserver/emgd driver into his distro, and since squeezeplay doesn't need 3d, it makes sense too.

You could use my ubuntu 12.04 base image (or wait for my 14.04 one) and put xbmc on that perhaps if you really want to use the internal flash.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

you can probably update the "xbmc" distro with the latest xbmc, as it is based on my 12.04 base image.
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Thank you, I will try...