SqueezePlay OS + mains power loss = no boot?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
SQueeZe

SqueezePlay OS + mains power loss = no boot?

Post by SQueeZe »

Hi
I have two identical Jogglers with SqueezePlay OS 1.07 installed (in the internal memory; neither has a USB stick attached) which have both been working brilliantly. The other day we lost power in the house, and when it came back on one joggler booted fine but the other got stuck on the O2 boot screen. I tried a few things, before reflashing it with SequeezePlay OS again and all has been peachy.

Yesterday we lost power again and the same thing has happened again. I haven't tried reflashing it yet as I don't really want to have to do it every time I lose power.

bobbydee48 seems to have a similar problem over here:
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =20#p13663
but it seems to be EFI related.

Seems to me like the file system is getting corrupted, but then how is it different to pulling the power out the back, which is the 'official' way of turning it off??

Any thoughts gratefully received.
Kevin
dwl99

Re: SqueezePlay OS + mains power loss = no boot?

Post by dwl99 »

On the menu near the bottom there should be "Quit" - that will bring up a shutdown dialogue box.
gegs

Post by gegs »

SQueeZe wrote:Seems to me like the file system is getting corrupted, but then how is it different to pulling the power out the back, which is the 'official' way of turning it off??
O2 marketed the Joggler as an "always on" device and it didn't really have an official way of switching it off. Pulling the plug was the only way to do this but I think everybody agrees it's not ideal. Squeezeplay OS is not the same as the stock OS and I would assume it is less tolerant to abrupt and sudden power losses. It is linux based and linux likes a proper shutdown. I agree with dwl99 that to minimise the risk you could shutdown any Joggler you are not using, although this wouldn't help if your power outage happened while you were using it.

I run SqpOS from a stick and it has a similar problem (possibly stick related) that makes it freeze on the O2 screen if I use the "reboot" function. The only way I can safely reboot is by powering down fully, using the option in the "quit" menu, then switching the Joggler back on again at the socket.
Mevi

Post by Mevi »

It's unlikely an EFI fault as you'd not be able to restore to factory OS or external OS and it would stay permanently on the logo until you had the opportunity to flash the EFI chip on a working Joggler.

Considering how delicate and susceptible to getting borked the onboard storage is, I've always thought it crazy that OpenPeak thought not to have a proper shutdown out of the factory. More credit to the modders!!! :D :D

Warm reboots are a bit hit and miss with all the OS, I think. My 24/7 XP Joggler's scheduled warm reboots work OK only maybe 6 out of 7 attempts, freezing on the O2 logo otherwise and requiring a repower.
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
gegs

Post by gegs »

Mevi wrote:It's unlikely an EFI fault as you'd not be able to restore to factory OS or external OS and it would stay permanently on the logo until you had the opportunity to flash the EFI chip on a working Joggler..
Even in such cases I would keep trying to use the reflash tool until it became ridiculous to do so. One of my Jogglers refused to boot into the on-board OS after several attempts at reflashing. I then attempted to reflash with several different sticks and after 3 or 4 hours of mucking around it finally worked and booted into the stock OS and then onto PnPIII goodness.

The most frustrating thing was, the sticks that failed me were used for successful reflashing before and I had too much faith in them for too long*. A fresh stick I'd never used before did the trick. Now it could have been the new stick, or it may have been luck on the umpteenth attempt, but the moral of the story is ... keep trying, it may work eventually and it's a lot less of a PITA than reflashing the EFI chip.

*The sticks I used previously had all their partitions deleted first and were reformatted using Windows Disk Management tools before writing the reflashing software. They still didn't do the trick.
Last edited by gegs on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

gegs wrote:
Mevi wrote:It's unlikely an EFI fault as you'd not be able to restore to factory OS or external OS and it would stay permanently on the logo until you had the opportunity to flash the EFI chip on a working Joggler..
Even in such cases I would keep trying to use the reflash tool until it became ridiculous to do so. One of my Jogglers refused to boot into the on-board OS after several attempts at reflashing. I then attempted to reflash with several different sticks and after 3 or 4 hours of mucking around it finally worked and booted into the stock OS and then onto PnPIII goodness.

The most frustrating thing was, the sticks that failed me were used for successful reflashing before and I had too much faith in them for too long*. A fresh stick I'd never used before did the trick. Now it could have been the new stick, or it may have been luck on the umpteenth attempt, but the moral of the story is ... keep trying, it may work eventually and it's a lot less of a PITA than reflashing the EFI chip.

*The sticks I used previously had all their partitions deleted first and were reformatted using Windows Disk Management tools before wring the reflashing software. They still didn't do the trick.
Thanks for that I've got a couple of jogglers in exactly that state and my reliable sticks didn't work. I'm going to have another bash with a new stick.
gegs

Post by gegs »

danjog2 wrote:Thanks for that I've got a couple of jogglers in exactly that state and my reliable sticks didn't work. I'm going to have another bash with a new stick.
Or several bashes... I hope it works for you. I'm not providing this as a real solution, only mentioning that a bit (a lot, actually) of perseverance paid off for me. Strangely enough, that was the school motto on my blazer badge - "Persevere".

Mevi

Post by Mevi »

Persevere, indeed. Need plenty of perseverance with Jogglers. :D
I've Got The Moves Like Joggler

Windows XP Professional SP3 plus Tablet PC for O2 Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=305

How to build your own Windows XP for the Joggler
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/WindowsXP
pete

Post by pete »

Yes found out today that my Joggler's Wednesday and November don't fit on the same line; geez...have to shrink the font....
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater