Updated OpenPeak Firmware (Version 30301)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: Updated OpenPeak Firmware (Version 30300)

Post by gegs »

Mevi wrote:But (getting back on topic) you're right, if you can assemble flat pack furniture, you can flash a Joggler!
Although the opposite is not necessarily true. I know from experience. :)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

:lol:
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; you can.

My wife and sister have shopped at Ikea. Personally I haven't; live in pod.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I've got round to creating this image. As far as I can tell I've followed the steps to the letter. I'm not entirely sure that I've ended up with the right thing... When I reflash with this new stick should it be giving me the original (blue o2) software or the colourful openpeak one? :?:

Edit:
I think there's something wrong with my new image. I've got the blue o2 os and it''s struggling with internet connection. It can connect with wifi and cable (as I can get internet radio working both ways) but won't let me in with either telnet or winSCP. When I try switching from wifi to cable and back again, it gets stuck for ages checking network connectivity.

Edit 2:
Telnet now working. Got in with letmeinssh and joggler1234.... Internet now seems ok. Sadly still can't use joggler unless I boot from usb.

Edit 3:
WOO HOO. Used the openpeak reflash after this and it's working again. 5 boots in and I'm leaving well alone and never switching off!!
pete

Post by pete »

I've had an issue similiar to yours on my Squeezebox OS Joggler. I hadn't been shutting it off (months? now) and rebooted it and it just would hang on the O2 screen. I wrote the Squeezebox OS to it a couple of times and a couple of times it started fine; then a reboot back to the O2 screen.

I am thinking that my problems might be related to the internal flash starting to go. That is me though. I did purchase a few of these for my Seabios experimenting. You could change out your flash rom to a new one. You could do a hot swap which is a bit difficult but easy.

Its a bit much to take apart the Joggler; but if you have an extra flash chip and a working Joggler; it takes only a few minutes to do the hot swap.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

pete_c wrote:I've had an issue similiar to yours on my Squeezebox OS Joggler. I hadn't been shutting it off (months? now) and rebooted it and it just would hang on the O2 screen. I wrote the Squeezebox OS to it a couple of times and a couple of times it started fine; then a reboot back to the O2 screen.

I am thinking that my problems might be related to the internal flash starting to go....
I don't know if it is your internal flash. I've had problems with Squeezeplay OS when rebooting ... the same endless O2 screen reported above. I avoid the problem by not EVER using the reboot option on the Squeezeplay menu. If I want to reboot I always power down fully and then either remove and re-insert the power lead or switch off and then on at the wall socket. I've found this to be the only way I can reboot the device without getting stuck on the O2 screen and being forced to rewrite the image to the stick again.

I've never reported it before because I assumed it was caused by temperamental USB sticks.
Fishy

Post by Fishy »

gegs wrote: I've had problems with Squeezeplay OS when rebooting ... the same endless O2 screen reported above. I avoid the problem by not EVER using the reboot option on the Squeezeplay menu. If I want to reboot I always power down fully and then either remove and re-insert the power lead or switch off and then on at the wall socket. I've found this to be the only way I can reboot the device without getting stuck on the O2 screen and being forced to rewrite the image to the stick again.
What exactly do you do to "power down fully" ?
Also - do you have any PNPIII Jogglers? - do you trust the reboot option in the swf menu?
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

pete_c wrote:I've had an issue similiar to yours on my Squeezebox OS Joggler. I hadn't been shutting it off (months? now) and rebooted it and it just would hang on the O2 screen. I wrote the Squeezebox OS to it a couple of times and a couple of times it started fine; then a reboot back to the O2 screen.

I am thinking that my problems might be related to the internal flash starting to go. That is me though. I did purchase a few of these for my Seabios experimenting. You could change out your flash rom to a new one. You could do a hot swap which is a bit difficult but easy.

Its a bit much to take apart the Joggler; but if you have an extra flash chip and a working Joggler; it takes only a few minutes to do the hot swap.
When I think back, this joggler - which rarely gets turned off - has had the occasional crash and burn but i've never had this hanging on the o2 screen before. I only use it with PnPIII and won't be surprised when it goes again as I suspect it's a bit of a dud. Although obviously I'm hoping it doesn't!

As for me doing a hot swap...whatever that is... probably out of the question as I can barely write an image to usb (see previous posts for proof!). :D
gegs

Post by gegs »

Fishy wrote:What exactly do you do to "power down fully" ?
Also - do you have any PNPIII Jogglers? - do you trust the reboot option in the swf menu?
This was specifically addressed to the use of Squeezeplay OS which has a power down option in the Quit menu. Rebooting In Squeezeplay OS has always led to an O2 screen freeze for me. You can't power off in PnPIII, I think.

And no! I don't trust the reboot option in swf manager because it originally came with a "use at your own risk" caveat, although I can't see that anymore on the project homepage on the forum. I never* switch off my kitchen Joggler, which runs PnPIII. I switch the screen off when not in use and restart Tango whenever anything goes awry; that usually sorts things.

*a small fib - a couple of times I've had to switch it off and on again when something froze. But that is literally only twice that I recall in the whole of 2012 (so far).
pete

Post by pete »

Here I just utilized the "power button" on the Squeezeplayer main menu.

That said though I will give the "halt" command via ssh instead.

I was really pulling the power on it to move it and I had done that before with no issues.

I figured I messed up the flash; so I rewrote it; shut it down again, unplugged it and plugged it back in to an O2 screen.

Are we saying then we shouldn't ever unplug the Joggler O2 screen. I mean I have set up my POE Jogglers such that they are now on UPS's at the switch end; but really sometimes need to power them off....
- Pete

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

pete_c wrote:Are we saying then we shouldn't ever unplug the Joggler O2 screen. I mean I have set up my POE Jogglers such that they are now on UPS's at the switch end; but really sometimes need to power them off....
I think powering them off is fine normally. I was only saying that I always have power to my kitchen Joggler and it is rock solid and stable. I used to unplug it a lot when I was trying out lots of distros but I've reached a happy equilibrium where I don't feel the compulsion to tweak and my family knows how to use SqueezePlay, its plugins and other PnPIII goodness without my help.

My concern is with SqueezePlay OS and my reticence to use the "reboot" option in SqpOS only. Every time I've used it I've ended up stuck on the black O2 screen. My advice would actually be to power down fully and then power up if you need to reboot; it's the only working reboot option for me in SqpOS. This is all getting a bit off-topic and I only mentioned SqpOS in response to a post in this thread. I think SqpOS-specific advice is getting confused with general Joggler advice so I'll now restrict any SqpOS comments to the proper thread and I'll post my reboot experience there.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I have also noticed that SqueezePlay OS never properly reboots and I usually just power it down from the menu then pull the plug and restart.
pete

Post by pete »

My SP OS Joggler used to reboot; but then again I rarely did reboot except with initially configuring it.

That is where I saw my issue: IE: powered it down, pulled the plug and it went to the O2 screen and stayed there. First time I've seen this. I wrote the Joggler SP OS flash once and it did it a second time similiarly after configuring it. The second write to the flash worked and its been fine now.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gegs wrote:
Fishy wrote:What exactly do you do to "power down fully" ?
This was specifically addressed to the use of Squeezeplay OS which has a power down option in the Quit menu. Rebooting In Squeezeplay OS has always led to an O2 screen freeze for me.
Huh, how weird - I've never had a problem rebooting with sqpOS. I did with Joli OS - that was grumpy rebooting on my kitchen Joggler, but not the bedroom one. :roll:
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

I have troubles rebooting on my distros ever since emgd has had the framebuffer corruption issue. not all the time, but quite often. Unfortunately I have no fix for when emgd brings down the system :(
gegs

Post by gegs »

roobarb! wrote:Huh, how weird - I've never had a problem rebooting with sqpOS. I did with Joli OS - that was grumpy rebooting on my kitchen Joggler, but not the bedroom one. :roll:
I'm guessing that, with so many other Joggler related issues, it's a USB stick thing. I'm pretty sure that if you've had no problems rebooting SqpOS that if I used the same kind of stick you do, neither would I.
pete

Post by pete »

Not sure where exactly to post so thought I would start here.

I am looking to do a hot swap flash chip thing.

That said where do I begin?

1 - base Joggler with O2 untouched.
2 - while it is powered on I want to swap flash chips
3 - write new image to new flash chip from a USB stick while doing an SSH over to the Joggler.
4 - reboot to new firmware image.

This would be a bit different than booting up with a USB stick and running a script. Its a bit more of a manual approach.

How can I do this?

Please forgive my ignorance because I know its here on the forum some place.

So I updated the Joggler with most current firmware and wrote the first partition to a USB stick.
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/backuproot.img bs=1024
The copy of this partition is 61 Mb.

That said if I write this partition to another hotswapped flash chip and reboot with Roobarb's most current FW USB boot then will I have written over a new OS to the flash chip? Or do I need to copy the other partitions and write those too?

Then to restore from the seabios boot I did the reverse and wrote out another rom image from a working Joggler.
IE:
# cd /mnt
# modprobe fh
# dd if=/dev/fh of=/mnt/boot.img bs=1024
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
# ls
boot.img
#
Would this be the correct image file to utilize to restore the original openpeak boot BIOS?
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Bit confused here, pete_c - the only chip you can hot swap on the Joggler (in fact, the only chip you can swap at all) is the EFI chip. That's accessed via /dev/fh after performing the 'modprobe fh' command and contains only the EFI. Nothing from mmcblk0 should go onto that chip - that's all stuff that's called after the EFI chip has done it's work.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks roobarb.

I don't think I have bricked anything yet?

I am currently booting a Joggler with newest FW / PNP3. It boots fine.

I have it open such that I can get to the EFI flash chip.

I booted into the PnP3 Joggler OS.

I DD'd the 4 partitions; IE: mmcblk0p1, mmcblk0p2, mmcblk0p3, mmcblk0p4 to four files.
and
DD'd the FH partition to another file.

Initially all I did in vivo was write the 4 partitions back to the EFI chip. I'm guessing I need to do more?

I swapped the EFI chip while the Joggler is on.

What do I write to the EFI chip such that I can copy it so that it is a backup of the booting EFI chip?

I think it got too warm now as it's just sitting at an O2 boot screen but not going into the OS or I really messed up here.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete_c wrote:What do I write to the EFI chip such that I can copy it so that it is a backup of the booting EFI chip?
You should just do (and I'm using the media partition here as the storage location):

With original good EFI chip:

Code: Select all

modprobe fh
dd if=/dev/fh of=/media/efi.img bs=1024
Hot-swap the chip and then:

Code: Select all

dd if=/media/efi.img of=/dev/fh bs=1024
Then you've written the contents of the original EFI to the replacement.