Updated OpenPeak Firmware (Version 30301)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: Updated OpenPeak Firmware (Version 30300)

Post by pete »

I then rewrote the efi.img to my USB stick.

I did the hot swap.

I then restored using the efi.img on my USB stick.

It seemed a bit slow writing the efi.img. I let it write for about 1/2 hour.

I then booted with a seabio'd chip.

I renamed the efi.img file to upgrade.rom.

I then upgraded the flash with the upgrade.rom file. It took only a few minutes.
Last edited by pete on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I then rebooted with updated OpenPeak firmware USB and all was well.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

I've lost my stick (as in can't find it) so have tried to create a new one but I just can't seem get it right. The joggler gives the error message 'checksum file not found' on every stick I've tried although I'm definitely copying it - I can see it there.

downloading v1.09 reflash file (this is the only file from the reflashing process that I'm using).
extracting the file.
Writing it to my usb.
Removing usb and switching to a laptop at this point as my pc refuses to recognise the usb

The page for the updated openpeak image says that when this is done follow the steps for flashing an alternative os. Which in this case is just downloading version 30300 and the MD5 file and copying them, as they are, to the rfl-boot, reflash directory.

Was I supposed to do more of the reflashing process before adding these 2 files?

Where am I going wrong? I'd be really grateful if someone could point out what step I've missed.
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Sounds like you're doing everything correctly. Have you tried re-formatting the USB stick with the HP reformatting tool? I have used it to resurrect poorly sticks.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thanks offbeatdave. Yes. Tried several sticks; new, old and reformatted - all give the same error message. Which is why I was sure I was doing something wrong. I haven't been adding the reflash MD5 file - if that makes a difference. :?:
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

The root of the stick (rfl-boot)should look something like from Windows:

and the reflash folder like this:

Ignore my date modified column. That's just when I put the files on the stick.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Yes - exactly like that, including the contents of the reflash folder, which suggests that there's nothing wrong with the image.

I really need this to work as one of my jogglers is prone to flatlining and roobarb!'s updated openpeak image is the only one to zap it back to life!

I'll reflash with my trusty openpeak image to start from scratch then try again with this stick. I'll report back...

Thanks for trying to help - I really appreciate it.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Joggler flashes fine with the openpeak image.

Tried again with v30300. Didn't work. Here's most of the error message:

cat: /boot/reflash/of1_30300_openpeak_img.gz.md5: no such file or directory
Checking integrity of image...
The firmware you have provided does not match the checksum
checksum mismatch

I then tried downloading those 2 files straight to the folder in the image rather than to my desktop in case my pc is corrupting them somehow. It still didn't work. I'm at a loss...

Should the reflash md5 file also be downloaded somewhere??
pete

Post by pete »

I have had usb memory stick start to go with RW failures and R failures over time. I think you have to have the MD5 file when you play with just other images to write. I saw something mentioned that both files need to be in the directory. That said I do not think that you need it for this one specifically.

The above said and noted. You could download (if you want to) the Ubuntu Rescue remix ISO disk here:

http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/

Burn a disk from the ISO. Boot to it via your laptop CD drive. Once done loading it'll be at a command line prompt.

Type "StartX" to start the windows like GUI.

Load up GParted and remove the already written USB stick partition.

Reformat it to Fat32 a couple of times; even redo the MBR stuff for the USB stick.

Then do a check on it to see if you are getting any RW/R errors on it. If you do then your USB stick is going out. You might be able to fix it though doing this a few times.

Once you have it formatted then write the image back in windows and see if that works?

I am not sure if the above will help but it helped me when I have been playing with these USB sticks.
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Hi Pete. I'm sure my sticks (several!) are writing ok as today I've been writing the the basic openpeak image on them with no problems. The difficulty I'm having is with this image only. I simply must be doing something wrong as ALL sticks have the same error message. Just need to figure out what that 'something' is.

(I am, however, bookmarking your reply for quick reference as the tip is brilliant - thanks! :) ).
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Have you tried downloading the files again? Make sure you don't rename them or alter them in any way. Try downloading with a different browser too.
pete

Post by pete »

openpeak_img.gz.md5 is your issue.

It does utilize a checksum file (re-read the instructions). This is two files. One is the file image and the other is the md5 checksum file for the primary image file.
download the .img.gz and accompanying MD5 checksum file from the links above
The issue that I have had is that windows rewrites the name of the checksum file as I save and you have to rename them as per instructions.

Just relating to this firmware update the two files have to be named accordingly. (image file and md5 checksum file).

IE:

When I click on the MD5 download link it shows that it is saving "of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz.gz" where as its supposed to be saving "of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz.md5". Just rename the MD5 file so that it matches.

The link shows:

Code: Select all

h++p://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/openframe/firmware/of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz.md5
What the link saves is:

Code: Select all

h++p://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/openframe/firmware/of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz.gz
The contents of the MD5 file show:
fedfa1d50965251166e1a2f74a2ea445 of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz

So the files that you download and sit in the reflash directory should be named:

1 - of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz ==> big file
2 - of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz.md5 ==> little file

#1 is the image file and #2 is the checksum file. The script checks or validates the image file with the checksum file. If the checksum file name doesn't match then the script will not work.
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Thanks for the reply guys.

Offbeatdave, I've downloaded the 3 files repeatedly (I've really skewed roobarb!'s figures if he's keeping tabs on number of downloads! :D Tried safari, chrome and explorer and sadly it makes no difference.

Pete, I have been copying both openpeak files to the reflash folder - I checked the contents of my sticks against those given by offbeatdave a few posts above and it's a perfect match. The only md5 file I've not been copying is the one that goes with the reflash image.

At first I hadn't realised that the file names were being changed on download. However, I've tried with renamed files too and it still makes no difference. Now I'm wondering if I'm renaming correctly (in windows, right click on file and rename in the box) or are there properties for these files that need to be amended too? In file type they are both appearing as GZ - is that right?

I can no longer think straight with this. I wish I could see where I'm going wrong. I may have to throw in the towel and post on marketplace to see if anyone will be kind enough to write one for me.

Off Topic: Thanks for your advice on the cradle Pete. I did order one but not the one you & I spoke about. It's an Arkon coming from the States. If it doesn't work with the joggler then I will try that one from Amazon. :)
pete

Post by pete »

Pete, I have been copying both openpeak files to the reflash folder - I checked the contents of my sticks against those given by offbeatdave a few posts above and it's a perfect match. The only md5 file I've not been copying is the one that goes with the reflash image.
Actually you need that md5 file that goes in the reflash folder. That said that is the file that gets renamed when you download it.

You can check the MD5 file contents and it should look like what I posted above. The script checks first for that file then the big file.

or somehow your checksum file is being corrupted while downloading it.

Instead just create a new text file in your reflash directory.

Call it: of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz.md5

and put this in it with your text editor:
fedfa1d50965251166e1a2f74a2ea445 of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz
all you need is the one line of text for the MD5 file to work.
Last edited by pete on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Just to be clear, are you saying that I should be downloading 4 files in total and this is exactly what I should do with them

1) reflash file - extract and write to stick
2) reflash md5 file - download and copy to the reflash folder (I've not been doing this - I've re-read that reflashing page many times but still don't know about this md5 file. When md5 files are mentioned it seems to be in relation to those that accompany an alternative os - but maybe I've misunderstood? For me, most of this is like reading chinese. I don't speak or read chinese.)

3) v30300 big file - download and copy to the reflash folder
4) v30300 md5 file - download and copy to the reflash folder

making sure that the files 2,3,4 remain exactly as they are so that 2) and 4) are saved as img.gz.md5 and 3) is img.gz

EDIT : I've just seen you're edited post. Will give all this a go. Cheers!
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

No.

3 files and you already have these.

Its easier than that.

1 - download and install the flashing tool image here - File #1
You are only using this tool to update the Joggler with the newest OpenPeak Firmware. Nothing else.

2 - Download the two new Openpeak firmware files (Version 30300) (and you have these) and copy these to the reflash directory on the above created memory stick. - files #2 and #3
1 - of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz ==> big file
2 - of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz.md5 ==> little file
That's all there is to it.

BTW I did the same thing the first time I tried to update my Joggler with the most current OpenPeak Firmware.
Attachments
Updating FW.jpg
Last edited by pete on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Pete, what you've just described is exactly what i've been doing.

And for me it's not working. Maybe you're right and my md5 is being corrupted.
pete

Post by pete »

Try to create the MD5 file from scratch using a text editor in wintel. If it cannot find it as noted above; its being corrupted or something similiar.

Easy and fast. If it doesn't work then the image will not be written.

I have attached it as a text file then I have zipped it and attached it. Extract the zip and rename the attached removing the txt piece to it.

I have also seen the big file get written to the disk with two ".gz" extensions like ".gz.gz".

Make sure you are viewing the reflash directory in Wintel correctly. By default windows doesn't show the extensions unless you configure the directory view such that it does. You could literally have double extensions on the files and not see them.
Attachments
of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz.md5.txt.zip
(224 Bytes) Downloaded 831 times
- Pete

Auto mater
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Pete, you wonderful man!

I was doing everything correctly. Contents of the files were present and correct but the error was happening with renaming files using windows. Once in notepad, I could see exactly what was going on and you're right. Invisible extensions - who knew! Lesson learnt.

Thanks so much!

EDIT: Roobarb! thanks for the lifesaving image - my poorly joggler is truly grateful.
Last edited by ilovemyjoggler on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

Great news ilovemyjoggler!
- Pete

Auto mater