Ubuntu

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
mattjax05

Ubuntu

Post by mattjax05 »

Is there anything in particular I shouldn't be doing when playing around the Ubuntu o/s on my joggler?

I know about switching off properly. What about installing anything not already pre-installed (eg games, tools etc) from the Ubuntu Software Center?

Also does a stylus work as it's a bit fiddly with fingers!

Cheers
Infinite Element

Re: Ubuntu

Post by Infinite Element »

I wouldn't tell you to steer clear of using non-pre-installed stuff; experimenting is how people learn what works and what doesn't for the Joggler. Just bear in mind that if you do break it, you'll have to reinstall everything again!

As far as a stylus goes, you can get one from eBay. You need to look for a capacitive stylus. Be warned, they're nowhere near as responsive as resistive stylus pens (although that's the only good thing I can say about resistive touch screens!).

If you find a good stylus pen, or if anyone else knows where to get one from a known good seller, please let me know. I bought one from China and although it looks nice, it has a flat surface instead of a point (perhaps that's the only way the technology can work), and so it is very uncomfortable to use and very fiddly to get response out of it.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Most things should work on Ubuntu - once you've got it up and running there's really not a lot that separates it from the standard desktop OS.

My advice would be to grab a second USB stick and experiment away. You're certainly not going to do any harm.*

*Unless you really, really try. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
mildenhall

Post by mildenhall »

I'd also recommend recording an image of your USB stick once you've got it set up how you like it so that you don't have to set it up again if you mess it up.
danjog2

Post by danjog2 »

mildenhall wrote:I'd also recommend recording an image of your USB stick once you've got it set up how you like it so that you don't have to set it up again if you mess it up.
That sounds useful, can I just use win32disk imager to write it?
mildenhall

Post by mildenhall »

danjog2 wrote:
mildenhall wrote:I'd also recommend recording an image of your USB stick once you've got it set up how you like it so that you don't have to set it up again if you mess it up.
That sounds useful, can I just use win32disk imager to write it?
Supposedly you can though I didn't have much luck with it.

Instead I used this on an Ubuntu laptop...
sudo dd if=/dev/sdc of=/home/user/image
where /dev/sdc is the name of you USB stick.