Web OS is open source... will it be open for Joggler?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Nasedo

Web OS is open source... will it be open for Joggler?

Post by Nasedo »

I just wondering if it will be possible to port Web OS on our Joggler? Could you please share your thoughts?
dwl99

Re: Web OS is open source... will it be open for Joggler?

Post by dwl99 »

Probably not as the Joggler has an x86 CPU and WebOS is for ARM CPUs. (I just sold my HP Touchpad as I was quite frustrated with the lack of apps. The android port worked quite well but I now have a Galaxy Tab2 which is much better!)
jazzmista

Post by jazzmista »

dwl99 wrote:Probably not as the Joggler has an x86 CPU and WebOS is for ARM CPUs. (I just sold my HP Touchpad as I was quite frustrated with the lack of apps. The android port worked quite well but I now have a Galaxy Tab2 which is much better!)
Might be possible http://www.openwebosproject.org/docs/bu ... de#desktop - builds it in a simulator for Ubuntu sans kernel. If we can build the latest Ubuntu kernel with the code (it's Linux-based) then it may work :) Buzz is probably the guy who will know if this is feasible though, I'm just throwing around some ideas in the open. If we could do it, then... does anyone like the sound of webOSx86?

Edit: Heh, it's always worth cloning the repo. Not promising anything (at all, JazzMod takes priority) but if Buzz thinks its feasible I can try and help. https://github.com/jamiehoyle/build-desktop
mattmayatt

Post by mattmayatt »

Funny..I asked this question a while ago but was met with tumble weed.
DVS_Dee

Post by DVS_Dee »

I'm playing about with building the desktop version on my joggler at the moment (on top running xubuntu 12.04). I've got all the prerequisites installed but when running the build-webos-desktop script i'm running into gcc errors, seems to be complaining about either ram or swap. I'm gonna try increasing swap using a swap partition.

Has anyone else had any luck?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

for building stuff for the joggler, it is much easier to build it in a chroot environment on a desktop pc, and transfer over to the joggler.