Extending the base OpenPeak firmware

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
sixedup

Extending the base OpenPeak firmware

Post by sixedup »

Pretty late to the party, but I've finally updated one of my Jogglers to the new OpenPeak firmware, and I've got it to a state I'm pretty happy with, but I've a couple of areas I'd like to experiment with:
  • controlling the backlight programatically (completely off, as well as varying the brightness), and
  • adding some extra base functionality to the system, which really means adding services like cron etc to the underlying linux layer.
I've had a hunt through the forums, but not found anything that helps me. Has anyone got any pointers on how I go about either of these?
Thanks!
gegs

Re: Extending the base OpenPeak firmware

Post by gegs »

sixedup wrote:Pretty late to the party, but I've finally updated one of my Jogglers to the new OpenPeak firmware, and I've got it to a state I'm pretty happy with, but I've a couple of areas I'd like to experiment with:
  • controlling the backlight programatically (completely off, as well as varying the brightness)...
There is a "screen off" button in PnP III that I've put on the home screen. Touching the screen again switches it back on. This function and the "Refresh" button that restarts Tango are superb little tools.

The brightness can be adjusted from the "Settings" app or from the PnPIII web interface.
sixedup

Post by sixedup »

I don't want all of the stuff that PnP3 adds, but I guess I can download it and extract whatever code turns the screen off.

But how to compile daemon code (ie cron) for the base (underlying) linux code that OpenPeak are using? I assume that OpenPeak must share their code somewhere to meet their GPL commitments; I'll do some more digging. I'm surprised that no-one here could help with this though.
gegs

Post by gegs »

sixedup wrote:I don't want all of the stuff that PnP3 adds, but I guess I can download it and extract whatever code turns the screen off.
Download it anyway and modify the script to install only the bits you want.
leepea

Post by leepea »

gegs wrote:Download it anyway and modify the script to install only the bits you want.
This. It's fairly simple, just a case of editing a file to remove any items that you don't need, even I managed it and I know nothing!