24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Wilberforce

Re: 24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

Post by Wilberforce »

Sorry for the late response. Glad you got it to work in the end!

For anyone with the same problem as jollyjoggler with the Teac UD-H01:

I complied a kernel, you can get it here:

http://cowboycoders.org/uploads/udh01.tar.gz

Contains kernel headers, kernel image, and initramfs.

instructions:
install kernel-image, kernel-headers, recompile emgd for new kernel (http://askubuntu.com/questions/53364/co ... ed-kernels)

On EFI (backup first):
replace intrd with included initramfs (or roll your own),
replace vmlinuz with that from /boot after installing

Maybe best to try with usb stick os - in case it fails to boot .

The patch (all credit to triode) which is untested (as JollyJoggler seems to have dissappeared):

Code: Select all

From 61dd420e034512a2706e2a5dad83a9d71db0a95e Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
    Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 03:52:42 +0000
    Subject: [PATCH] teac udh01 hack

forgot semi colon
    ---
     sound/usb/endpoint.c |   14 +++++++++++++-
     1 files changed, 13 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)

diff --git a/sound/usb/endpoint.c b/sound/usb/endpoint.c
    index 08dcce5..8004e9d 100644
    --- a/sound/usb/endpoint.c
    +++ b/sound/usb/endpoint.c
    @@ -554,7 +554,19 @@ static int retire_playback_sync_urb(struct snd_usb_substream *subs,
           return 0;

f = le32_to_cpup(urb->transfer_buffer);
    -   if (urb->iso_frame_desc[0].actual_length == 3)
    +
    +    // teac ud-h01 hack
    +    if (le16_to_cpu(urb->dev->descriptor.idVendor) == 0x0644 && le16_to_cpu(urb->dev->descriptor.idProduct) == 0x8038) {
    +        // automatic frequency detection can get this wrong at start of a new sample rate – so force to 0 which is the value for uac2
    +        subs->freqshift = 0;
    +        // Tenor 8802 corrupts high order feedback bytes – assume only low order 2 bytes change and use nominal frequency for high order bytes
    +        f &= 0x0000ffff;
    +        f |= (subs->freqn & 0xffff0000);
    +        if (unlikely(f > subs->freqn && f - subs->freqn > 0x8000)) {
    +            f -= 0x10000;
    +        }
    +    }
    +    else if (urb->iso_frame_desc[0].actual_length == 3)
           f &= 0x00ffffff;
        else
           f &= 0x0fffffff;
    -- 

Maybe the not the best way to identify the tenor, any suggestions let me know.
themystical

Post by themystical »

themystical wrote:Got my USB2 Hub today and powered up the card through this. Result? It got recognised immediately and played fantastically well. Proves that you need a USB2 connection for playing a UAC2 soundcard or DAC through the Joggler (or any other device for that matter) and that it the equivalent of the Squeezebox Touch as far as external DAC's are concerned. Thanks to Wilberforce for porting the Triode app.
Just to report that the USB DAC is playing 192k files from the Joggler Squeezeplay no problems. I had already previously modified the Squeezebox2.pm file for the server as suggested by Wilberforce in an earler post in this thread which might be contributing to this success.
jemhayward

Post by jemhayward »

Just had a thought why my wilberforce/triode squeezeplay Joggler failed the MDAC bit perfect test. I think the SqueezeplayOS limits the max volume to 70% if this limit is still in place, it would cause a bit perfect failure. I'm not in a position to test this at present, but does it should plausible?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jemhayward wrote:Just had a thought why my wilberforce/triode squeezeplay Joggler failed the MDAC bit perfect test. I think the SqueezeplayOS limits the max volume to 70% if this limit is still in place, it would cause a bit perfect failure. I'm not in a position to test this at present, but does it should plausible?
There's no strict limiting on the audio output, except that the master is indeed turned down a bit to prevent the internals speakers shaking themselves to bits.

The latest version of sqpOS has a button in the Audio Setting menu to turn that master right up to full.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
themystical

Post by themystical »

jemhayward wrote:Just had a thought why my wilberforce/triode squeezeplay Joggler failed the MDAC bit perfect test. I think the SqueezeplayOS limits the max volume to 70% if this limit is still in place, it would cause a bit perfect failure. I'm not in a position to test this at present, but does it should plausible?
Unfortunately I don't have a "Bit perfect" test on my DAC so I can't test it out but it would be good if somebody was able to do this test at 100% master volume and confirm one way or the other. I think the Audiolab MDAC is the only DAC with this test feature?
davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim »

Hi all, I've been an owner of two jogglers. 1 fell into disuse. The other running squeezeplay on o2 o/s. Just to display artwork from my Squeezebox transporter. But now have changed my hifi around and found this post. So now sitting in my new listening room with my joggler playing blue is green by Valerie Joyce in 24/96! Into my audiolab mdac. All good apart from the occassional crack/pop. Do I need a usb2 hub between the 2 devices does anyone know? Otherwise totally amazing. I was thinking I should buy a second hand sbt but if I can sort these occasional pops I will stick with the joggler :-)

Thanks to all that have made this possible.
themystical

Post by themystical »

davidismynaim wrote:Hi all, I've been an owner of two jogglers. 1 fell into disuse. The other running squeezeplay on o2 o/s. Just to display artwork from my Squeezebox transporter. But now have changed my hifi around and found this post. So now sitting in my new listening room with my joggler playing blue is green by Valerie Joyce in 24/96! Into my audiolab mdac. All good apart from the occassional crack/pop. Do I need a usb2 hub between the 2 devices does anyone know? Otherwise totally amazing. I was thinking I should buy a second hand sbt but if I can sort these occasional pops I will stick with the joggler :-)

Thanks to all that have made this possible.
I don't have a MDAC so can't comment on that but mine is playing without any cracks or pops. I believe the powered USB hub solution only applies to the particlar kernel used by the SBT. In any case, assuming you are on SqpOS, I would do a apt-get update followed by a apt-get upgrade to ensure that you have the latest software and to rule this issue out.
Once you have got this running properly, would you be able to do a "Bit perfect" test at 100% master volume and report?
davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim »

quick note, just tried both the 16bit and 24bit test on the M-DAC via joggler and passed with flying colours!! I have this set-up with a USB2 hub, as I have other USB connections. The clicking I reported earlier seems to have gone, I suspect it was wifi related rather then joggler/squeezeplay related. Very impressed.
themystical

Post by themystical »

Thats great news indeed. Reaffirms my belief that the Joggler is really a better device then the original SBT. Server and Player both in one and other apps to boot (pun intended). ;)
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

I downloaded the EnhancedDigitalOutput applet with wget and now everything works well, got great sound from the spdif digital output.
Thank you for the great job!
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

After having installed the EDO applet, I noticed the following strange behaviour:
1) Though I have selected the external interface as audio output, I am not able to mute the internal speaker.
2) I cannot hear the "beep" when I touch the screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

You can mute the internal speakers with the command line tool, alsamixer, via ssh. Or try this applet http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... xer#p13411. If you've tried that, try removing your asound.conf. Other than that, Im not sure :D

The beep was intentionally disabled by Triode (the original author) : " it does not start an effects jive_alsa process (it is assumed users don't want to hear the effects processing)"
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

@roobarb!
I installed the amixer applet and I used it to mute the internal speaker.
Thanks a lot.
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

I tried to patch the Squeezebox2.pm file using the 192kHz.patch found at https://github.com/terual/slimpy/blob/m ... 2kHz.patch
To begin first, the patch command is not installed on SqPOS v1.07, nor is the patch package available. Therefore I copied both the Squeezebox2.pm and 192kHz.patch files on my desktop pc.
Then I issued the following command on my pc:
patch -p0 < 192kHz.patch

Unfortunately, the patch was unsuccessful and I obtained the following message:
patching file Squeezebox2.pm
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1034.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file Squeezebox2.pm.rej

How can I apply the 192kHz patch?
Thank you.
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

That patch is for logitech media server / squeezebox media server. So on the computer where that is host ed try this:

To get patch on spos:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install patch

cd /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player
sudo wget https://raw.github.com/terual/slimpy/master/192kHz.patch
sudo patch < 192kHz.patch
themystical

Post by themystical »

papaiannis wrote:I tried to patch the Squeezebox2.pm file using the 192kHz.patch found at https://github.com/terual/slimpy/blob/m ... 2kHz.patch
To begin first, the patch command is not installed on SqPOS v1.07, nor is the patch package available. Therefore I copied both the Squeezebox2.pm and 192kHz.patch files on my desktop pc.
Then I issued the following command on my pc:
patch -p0 < 192kHz.patch

Unfortunately, the patch was unsuccessful and I obtained the following message:
patching file Squeezebox2.pm
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1034.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file Squeezebox2.pm.rej

How can I apply the 192kHz patch?
Thank you.
Not having Wiberforce's Linux skills as per his post above, all I did was edit the Squeezebox2.pm file using nano adding the following two lines in the appropriate place and then saving the file. (around line 1038 of the file....just have a look and it will be obvious where to add these lines)
192000 => ';',
176400 => '<',
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

I followed the instructions provided by wilberforce.
Patching was successful and now everything works like a charm.
Thank you for the great support.
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

After several listening sessions, I confirm that the EDO applet provides a clear improvement in sound. Highly recommended.
Thanks a lot again to Adrian "Triode", to Wilberforce and to all the supporting people in this forum.
davidismynaim

Post by davidismynaim »

hi all, I am getting noise/interference coming through from my Joggler to M-DAC (audiolab DAC)/amp/speakers. Not sure if I missed this originally or if this has crept in with use. Rebooting seems to improve the problem (not completely) but it does seem to get worse with time. I have tried both my Jogglers, both the same problem with or without Wilberforces addin.

I am running SqueezePlay os ideally with Wilberforce's/Triodes addin, connecting to MDAC via USB.

The noise / interference almost sounds like processor chatter breaking through into the audio signal?!? It is not squeezeplayer or MDAC gain dependent, but does get loader with amp volume and weirldly affect all inputs on the MDAC, ie even when switching over to say optical or coax the same noise can be heard through the speakers. Pull the USB out of the joggler and silence.

Any ideas?
24bit

Post by 24bit »

Like a few others on this thread I am looking to run the Joggler in between my laptop and my MDac. With the playlist controlled via IPENG.

Being not that PC literate, first thing is first, which is, how do I get my laptop running Windows XP to see the Joggler. So data can pass up and down the cable ?

My plan is to run the music files from the laptop to the Joggler via an Ethernet cable. Then USB out to the MDAC. I will get to that bit later.

The used Joggler I bought has Squeezebox software on it already.

All help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ps if there is a better way of achieving my aim, please let me know