24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
marctwo

Re: 24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

Post by marctwo »

I totally understand, thanks for the reply.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Arie wrote:Dan1502 reported problems with SqOS 2.06 and low volume from his USB DAC using EDO. I can confirm that this problem occurs with several different USB DACS, all working well with EDO under SqOS 1.09. Also, I couldn't get a Hiface USB->SPDIF interface working consistently with 2.06, whilst it does with 1.09.

Roobarb: could you perhaps put the SqOS 1.09 download back on birdslikewires, so people with problems have an escape route as long as SqOS 2.06 is not fully EDO compatible?
Finally remembered!

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/op ... play/os/v1
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

marctwo wrote:Has there been any progress in including an EDO install option on SqueezePlay OS 2?

Thanks again to roobarb for all the hard work, I upgraded my joggler to SqPlOS 2 and it's been brilliant.

Would it be possible for you, roobarb, to do Squeezelite for the Joggler?

I think the kernel thingy for Squeezelite supports lots of USB DACS.

Would my best bet for Squeezelite on a joggler be one of the Ubuntu images? I know LMS has local player but I have absolutley no idea how to get it to work
I have done a search but can not find a 'how to' link from the many that include the word Squeezelite :?

atb

Ronnie
buffalosoul

Post by buffalosoul »

So I've installed Squeezeplay OS 2, and the EDO with a delock

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delock-USB-Soun ... lock+spdif

A couple of issues remain:

1. The delock only seems to be powered some of the time, a restart tends to kick it into action, but then sooner or later it will lose power and not restart, even if I unplug and replug.

2. Since installing EDO, airplay is broken. The device is visible from my macbook / itunes, but it fails to establish a connection. Airplay was working fine before EDO was installed.

I think i'll have a go at installing OS 1, but in the mean time any ideas?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

buffalosoul wrote:So I've installed Squeezeplay OS 2, and the EDO with a delock

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delock-USB-Soun ... lock+spdif

A couple of issues remain:

1. The delock only seems to be powered some of the time, a restart tends to kick it into action, but then sooner or later it will lose power and not restart, even if I unplug and replug.

2. Since installing EDO, airplay is broken. The device is visible from my macbook / itunes, but it fails to establish a connection. Airplay was working fine before EDO was installed.

I think i'll have a go at installing OS 1, but in the mean time any ideas?
One idea would be to check that the Delock functions correctly with another source, laptop or desktop, Squeezebox Touch.

What exactley is your set-up here, do you have any other peripherals connected to the Joggler and if so, how?

The standard Joggler power supply is 4amps so that should not be problem either.

Good luck

atb

Ronnie
buffalosoul

Post by buffalosoul »

I'll try it with a laptop later. Nothing else is connected to the joggler besides the delock/power/ethernet. Are there any drivers that need to be installed?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

buffalosoul wrote:I'll try it with a laptop later. Nothing else is connected to the joggler besides the delock/power/ethernet. Are there any drivers that need to be installed?

Don't think it should need drivers. I recently set up an iFiAudio DSD nano thingy both with and without the EDO patch.

Without patch,(from memory)

Plug it in to the side of the Joggler, go Settings>Audio Settings>Interface Configuration>External Interface

Return

Mixer Controls> HDA Intel> should show the device

Return

Master>Mute

Return

Fixed Volume>100%

Return to front screen and Quit>Reboot

Should be good to go

atb

Ronnie
buffalosoul

Post by buffalosoul »

Turns out EDO is the issue (maybe in combination with the Delock). I reflashed with OS2. Airplay is working perfectly, spotify is working perfectly. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I'm not surprised Airplay didn't work. EDO has exclusive access to the sound hardware. I've seen the same happen with manually editing the sound config file myself, unless you use a software mixer then SqueezePlay and Airplay can't both access the sound hardware.

It might technically be possible for Airplay to use the built in soundcard or maybe even a 2nd cheap USB card or DIY digital output but would have no clue how to achieve that.
rustyspoons

Post by rustyspoons »

Hi All,

Just come across this forum, picked up a Joggler yesterday from a 2nd hand shop while having a browse, always fancied one of these as I sorely miss my SB Touch/SB Classic!

I have been using Vortexbox on a PC, now I run Vortexbox on a virtual machine on a OmniOS file server with ESXi. I recently switched over to ARM type devices and use the POGOPLUG V02 with the Vortexbox VAMP image based on Fedora/Squeezelite, I recently hacked the Pogoplug V4 to run VAMP (Although everyone seemed to think it's impossible to run this image, it works perfectly with my little script)

I got the Joggler set up in not far off 10 minutes yesterday with the great guide on here, using SPOS I can get my ASYNC USB Dac working with a little bit of messing around, however myself and my girlfriend am convinced that the sound quality via USB on the Joggler using Squeezeplay is not as good as my Fedora Squeezelite based Pogoplugs, it seems to lack definition and also a bit harsh on the midrange, sounds somewhat compressed? Hard to describe.

I whipped the back off and ripped out the WiFI and used the internal USB socket for my DAC.

My DAC is an ARCAM irDAC (ASYNC and 24/192) played via new NAIM Audio Amplification and also high end speakers, so quite easy to hear a bad source.

Also it's down-sampling anything above a certain bitrate, I cannot get 24/192 without LMS downsampling? Also the VAMP Based pogoplugs play 24/192 no issue at all, so I don't think a modification on the LMS server is needed.

Any help gratefully appreciated, keep up the excellent work :)

Also does anyone know how to stop the Clock screensaver from going off when it's on Standby, as I loved that feature on the SB Touch? And I would also like to disable the volume control so it has a fixed output, I cannot find this option.
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

Does anyone know if the Schiit Modi will work with SqpOS / EDO?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

marctwo wrote:Does anyone know if the Schiit Modi will work with SqpOS / EDO?
I'm pretty sure somebody is using one of these... it was one of the first reasons we moved beyond kernel 3.2 in SQPOS, IIRC.

Don't own one myself, but if it works with linux kernel 3.14 and higher, it should be fine with SQPOS (assuming that's what you're using!).
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

Thanks Roobarb. I seem to remember it was not supported in V1 but that it should work with V3 due to the new Kernel. I just wanted to be sure before buying one!

Thanks again for all your work on this, it really is brilliant. Is there a fix for the backlight issue coming?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

marctwo wrote:Thanks again for all your work on this, it really is brilliant. Is there a fix for the backlight issue coming?
Already sorted. Check the SqueezePlay v3 thread - or hold out for v3.01. Should have that tested and done by the end of the week. :)
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

I know some people have modded their Joggler to have a TOSLINK optical output but does anyone know if this would support 24/96 into an external DAC?
Flimber

Post by Flimber »

See post #2, marctwo.
marctwo

24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

Post by marctwo »

Thanks. Has this actually been confirmed to work with HD audio as the post seems to only confirm the theory?
chris

Post by chris »

Helllllp!

So... Joggler works perfectly on v3.0.1 on a fresh install. On the first reboot it won't actually make it back into Squeezeplay, the screen just flashes telling me about the last login.

/var/log/syslog:

Code: Select all

Dec 22 22:48:49 openframe kernel: init: tty1 main process ended, respawning
Dec 22 22:48:51 openframe kernel: init: tty1 main process ended, respawning
Dec 22 22:48:53 openframe kernel: init: tty1 main process ended, respawning
Dec 22 22:48:55 openframe kernel: init: tty1 main process ended, respawning
Dec 22 22:48:57 openframe kernel: init: tty1 main process ended, respawning
Dec 22 22:48:59 openframe kernel: init: tty1 main process ended, respawning
Dec 22 22:49:01 openframe kernel: init: tty1 main process ended, respawning
That gives an idea on how often it flashes.

/var/log/auth.log:

Dec 22 22:53:00 openframe login[32111]: pam_unix(login:session): session opened for user joggler by joggler(uid=0)
Dec 22 22:53:02 openframe login[32111]: pam_unix(login:session): session closed for user joggler
Dec 22 22:53:02 openframe login[32184]: pam_unix(login:session): session opened for user joggler by joggler(uid=0)
Dec 22 22:53:04 openframe login[32184]: pam_unix(login:session): session closed for user joggler
Dec 22 22:53:04 openframe login[32257]: pam_unix(login:session): session opened for user joggler by joggler(uid=0)
Dec 22 22:53:06 openframe login[32257]: pam_unix(login:session): session closed for user joggler
Dec 22 22:53:07 openframe login[32333]: pam_unix(login:session): session opened for user joggler by joggler(uid=0)
I haven't found anything else useful.

The one thing that I did find was that the DAC (Schiit Modi) changed its, uh, hardware address(?) after a reboot.

Before reboot:

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Device   ]: USB-Audio - Schiit USB Audio Device
               Schiit Schiit USB Audio Device at usb-0000:00:1d.7-5.4, high speed
1 [USB      ]: USB-Audio - VegaOne USB
               Philips VegaOne USB at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, full speed
2 [MID      ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
               HDA Intel MID at 0xd01c0000 irq 16
After reboot:
cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [MID            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
                      HDA Intel MID at 0xd01c0000 irq 16
 1 [USB            ]: USB-Audio - VegaOne USB
                      Philips VegaOne USB at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, full speed
 2 [Device         ]: USB-Audio - Schiit USB Audio Device
                      Schiit Schiit USB Audio Device at usb-0000:00:1d.7-5.4, high speed
If I run squeezeplay not as root it get a similar result:

$ /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh 
shairport: no process found
joggler@openframe:~$ Starting Shairport as SqueezePlay...
Listening for connections.

Squeezeplay 7.7.2 r9710
20141222 22:56:09.235 INFO   squeezeplay - JiveMain.lua:273 SqueezePlay version 7.7.2 r9710
Shutting down...
XIO:  fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server ":0.0"
      after 44 requests (44 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
_mcleanup: gmon.out: Permission denied
Starting Shairport as SqueezePlay...
Shutting down...
Starting Shairport as SqueezePlay...
Shutting down...
If I run it as sudo it launches on the joggler, but the touch screen wonky... wherever I press it thinks I pressed about an inch lower.

I tried running shairport then jive as root but didn't have the libs set so I logically got this error:

[1]+  Running                 sudo /opt/squeezeplay/bin/shairport.sh &
joggler@openframe:~$ sudo /opt/squeezeplay/bin/jive
/opt/squeezeplay/bin/jive: error while loading shared libraries: libtolua++.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
What do I try next?!
redtom

Post by redtom »

Hi All

I have things running pretty much perfectly with SqueezeplayOs 3.01 and an external HiFace2 DAC via an unpowered USB hub (the one mentioned earlier in the thread that Triode had recommended). Thanks to all who have put the work in to get everyhting to this state. The only slightly odd problem I have is an odd chattering from the internal speakers after the joggler has been on for some time. It occurs when selecting items in Squeezeplay as if it's interference from the processor. I suppose I could just dismantle the joggler and disconnect the internal speakers as I'll be using the external dac all the time but wondered if there was a software solution? I've already applied the power saving change to the grub.conf.

Thanks!
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

One can mute the internal speakers using Squeezeplay.

Try searching a little more

atb

Ronnie