24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Error

Re: 24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

Post by Error »

I don't have time now but I can't get it to work the way you describe it.. will get back!
Error

Post by Error »

I will try to describe how mine acts:

Joggler with a hub; which contains:
- 32gb usb stick with music files
- 2 gb usb stick with SQPOSv204
- USB DAC HifimeDIY U2 asynchronous

Joggler is booted with all stuff connected en EDOapplet installed: all functions normal, i can go to the 'digital output' screen, see my DAC there, but when i select it nothing's displayed as I posted a picture of before. It does play music via my DAC because earlier on I selected "external device"..

When I disconnect the DAC and choose 'quit' - reboot I then get the spinning wheel which says "Dac not connected". I pass it, go to the digital output screen and don't find my DAC as you described. When I put it in the hub then I see it, but clicking on it result in no further action. I can go back one screen 'digital output' but am unable to enter this menu again.
Also I can't play music anymore, that is, I don,t hear anyting.

Choosing the 'quit' button to relaunch doesn't work either; I can't access it. Also the 'my music' button shows nothing any more. The button in upperleft corner doesn't do anything anymore..
The only thing I can do is switch the power off and reboot later.

What should I do??
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

Error wrote:

When I disconnect the DAC and choose 'quit' - reboot

A. Don't choose reboot , choose "relaunch" please.

I then get the spinning wheel which says "Dac not connected". I pass it, go to the digital output screen and don't find my DAC as you described

A. Don't go to digital output , pass on dac not connected then try playing music immediately don't bother going to the dac screen again
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

That's what I do dac not connected screen , tap once , play music
Error

Post by Error »

thanx, will try tonight!
Error

Post by Error »

Tried it. I do have the EDO applet installed, I have chosen my DAC following your steps and I do hear music now.
However when I go to the screen with output options its still empty..??

Why the *** is this ! A relaunch doesn;t have any effect..
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

If you can hear music from your dac then for me that's a success?, or are you hearing it via the speaker on the joggler?, maybe your dac doesn't put information to the joggler?, I don't really know. If your looking to find out what bit rates are supported then I'd try downlioading a bit rate test and going through them one by one, sorry I can't be of any more help as I'm only clutching at straws myself due to lack of knowledge

All the best
Error

Post by Error »

I do hear the music via the DAC so that's good right.

I downloaded a testsample 192 khz - 24 bit and it plays on my system. Does that mean it works? Or can it also play these files but not high-res?

Still it annoys me I can't see info like you do about you DAC.. anyone got a clue? Am I missing something??
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

Error wrote:I do hear the music via the DAC so that's good right.

I downloaded a testsample 192 khz - 24 bit and it plays on my system. Does that mean it works? Or can it also play these files but not high-res?

Still it annoys me I can't see info like you do about you DAC.. anyone got a clue? Am I missing something??
I've been into hifi for years and to be honest 192/24 should be good enough for even the best ears, f you can hear that through your dac I'd say your problem is sorted I wouldn't be bothered about a page of information, if it sounds good then go with it ( think about the saving on buying a squeezebox , which for me was the whole reason of investigating the joggler, happy listening ).
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

To Error,

I'm with Wayne C on this one, don't fret about the missing info, just play the tunes.

Kom op jonge!, get De Dijk on and start rockin'.

Houdoe.

Ronnie.
Error

Post by Error »

Well guys then thank you for your help.
I put my receiver in Dolby ProLogic II - music effect... Astonishing!

Ronnie

bedankt! Ik ben meer van Transatlantic etc... ProgRock etc. :-)
dan1502

Post by dan1502 »

I've just picked up a TEAC A-H01 DAC/Integrated amplifier and am tyring to get it to work with the Joggler running Squeezepay OS and EDO. The table for EDO compatibility says it works with EDO kernel #12 but presumably this refers to the SB Touch. I have it running successfully with my Audioquest Dragongly and Benchmark DACs and it will work with the M2Tech Hiface II if I plug it in after booting then select the Hiface then do a relaunch.

With this it freezes if I try and boot with the Teac switched on. If I switch it on after booting it lists it. I can then relaunch but a limited home menu comes up and I can't connect to my Vortexbox.

I am ok at following instructions but have virtually no idea regarding programming etc so wondered if someone could help rather than me attempting to solve it by trial and error and screwing things up. My plan is to get another Joggler for this system but I want to check I can get it working first.

Thanks in advance.
dan1502

Post by dan1502 »

Just to add that I have reflashed the system with the latest Squeezplay OS v2.04, reinstalled EDO and updated LMS on my Vortexbox. Whilst it will load up with the DAC switched on, only the first 3 or 4 menu items are visible and when I click on music (which is one of the few available) it states that it has failed to connect to the Vortexbox and retrying doesn't help. If I then switch the DAC off, the connection with the vortexbox restores and all the menu items become visible again. Any ideas as I'd obviously really like this to work. In the meantime I shall try another USB cable (the one I am using is brand new) and then try a difference USB source though that shall be more tricky and take some time.
dan1502

Post by dan1502 »

Ok, so I swapped the cable and I now have sound! However I just tried a hi-res file and whilst it plays it is not playing correctly. I tried the same tune with the system connected directly to the Vortexbox with Vortexbox player and that is fine. Any ideas what to try to reolve this?
dan1502

Post by dan1502 »

I'm really wound up now and shall call it quits for tonight. I tried it again after all the changes but with my Audioquest Dragonfly which it worked perfectly with before. Now that is outputting at extremely low volume Arrrgghhh!
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

[quote="Error"]Well guys then thank you for your help.
I put my receiver in Dolby ProLogic II - music effect... Astonishing!

Ronnie

bedankt! Ik ben meer van Transatlantic etc... ProgRock etc. :-)[/quote

Error I just noticed this over on the Squeezebox community, post 1659,

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... ut/page166

is your USB a passive one? might be worth a try.

a.u.b.

Ronnie
Error

Post by Error »

Yes I have a passive one.
It plays FLAC files of 24 bit 192khz, without any strange noises or whatsoever. Does it interanlly downsample or something should it not be able to play these files??
If that;'s not the case then it works, except it doesn't show info about it.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

No, it was just that I noticed that the OP in the post was using the same DAC as yourself and could not remember the details of your USB hub.

In the original EDO thread on the Slimdevices forum Triode recommends the use of a passive hub (if it is required).

I would not worry about the "info" page too much. I have a usb/spdif convertor which sometimes shows the "info" and sometime not!

Mind the same convertor works with the Joggler but not with the Touch; I think most of the problems are referenced by incorrect implementation of the USB2 protocol in the USB chip (just a feeling I have, I don't have any proof).

When you say Transatlantic, do you mean music/artist similar to that broadcast by the BBC4 TV channel on Friday evenings?

atb.

tot ziens

Ronnie.
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

dan1502 wrote:I'm really wound up now and shall call it quits for tonight. I tried it again after all the changes but with my Audioquest Dragonfly which it worked perfectly with before. Now that is outputting at extremely low volume Arrrgghhh!
Have you attempted to try all your Dacs with the new software version ?, to see if it's the same with each. I noted that there were or are two operating systems for differing Openpeaks , did you install the first one?, if the original software worked ok I'd revert back to that , try the Teac dac etc.

Sorry I'm not that much of a help.
dan1502

Post by dan1502 »

Thanks Wayne. Things have moved on a bit but on the OS thread. The TEAC A-H01 seems to have the same USB chip as the other UD-501 so I just need to get my head aroung implementing the workaround so will pm Wilberforce to see if he minds simplifying the instructions for me. I will try altering the Alsamixer output with the new OS and the Dragonfly just to see whether that solves it. I now have another Joggler running the v1.9 SPOS and EDO with that system now.