24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
marctwo

Re: 24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

Post by marctwo »

I just bought a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic XS from Richer Sounds (currently reduced from £99 to £49). It seems to work fine under Squeezeplay at 16/44 in USB1 mode. I am going to see if I can get it to work with EDO at higher rates.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Does anyone know if these work with the Joggler? I tried to find out in this thread but could only find another Startech model.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Ex ... ref=sr_1_3
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

I don't know but for around the same price you could get a Behringer UCA202 which does work, although it only does 16/48 and not 24/96.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I've got 2 x Behringer UCA202. They're great for my kitchen Joggler but I wondered if a 24/96 set up would be better for my lounge hi-fi set up.
marctwo

24/96 Squeezeplay and External USB DAC

Post by marctwo »

That rather depends on if you have any 24/96 source material! If you do then it's probably worth spending a little more on something decent. The Dacmagic XS is probably one of the cheapest at the moment, or maybe a Schiit Modi?

I have a UCA202 and find the analogue output too quiet so I use the optical out into my AV receiver.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I also use the optical output to an AV receiver and the sound is pretty good. My son likes the fact that he gets Airplay capability through the hi-fi too.
heathster

Post by heathster »

Hi

I realise this is an old thread, but I've only just got my Joggler and need some help with applying Wilberforce's EDO mod.

I've flashed my Joggler to run 30300 software, with UPnPIII. However, when I try to apply the EDO mod from page 3 (as below) using putty, the EDO applet doesn't appear where I am expecting it, with putty giving the message '-sh: sudo: not found' The EDO file does however appear in the root directory after doing this.

cd ~
wget http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/downlo ... php?id=329 -O EnhancedDigitalOutput.tar.gz
sudo tar -xvf EnhancedDigitalOutput.tar.gz -C /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/ --overwrite

I did notice in the file structure that from root, you need to open the media directory to get to opt/squeezeplay etc. So I added this to the path, with no success (-C media/opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/ --overwrite)

Can anyone help with this please? Will this patch work with UPnPIII, or does it only work with the dedicated Squeezeplay OS?

Many Thanks
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

heathster wrote:Hi

I realise this is an old thread, but I've only just got my Joggler and need some help with applying Wilberforce's EDO mod.

I've flashed my Joggler to run 30300 software, with UPnPIII. However, when I try to apply the EDO mod from page 3 (as below) using putty, the EDO applet doesn't appear where I am expecting it, with putty giving the message '-sh: sudo: not found' The EDO file does however appear in the root directory after doing this.

cd ~
wget http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/downlo ... php?id=329 -O EnhancedDigitalOutput.tar.gz
sudo tar -xvf EnhancedDigitalOutput.tar.gz -C /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/ --overwrite

I did notice in the file structure that from root, you need to open the media directory to get to opt/squeezeplay etc. So I added this to the path, with no success (-C media/opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/ --overwrite)

Can anyone help with this please? Will this patch work with UPnPIII, or does it only work with the dedicated Squeezeplay OS?

Many Thanks
Welcome to the forum Heathster (non gender specific).

I don't know about UpnPIII but it does work fine with the Squeezeplay OS.

Have you installed LMS yet?
Which usb dac are you planning to use, as not all work with the EDO app.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Ronnie
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

This is the procedure I have followed:

The first part is a high res file patch and the second is for EDO.

I use Putty on a windows computer to SSH into the Joggler.

First install the Squeezeplay and the the LMS.

Attach the USB drive, reboot and do the EDO patch, then reboot again.

y Wilberforce » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:35 pm
That patch is for logitech media server / squeezebox media server. So on the computer where that is hosted try this:

To get patch on spos:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install patch

cd /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player
    sudo wget https://raw.github.com/terual/slimpy/master/192kHz.patch
    sudo patch < 192kHz.patch
Wilberforce

is a version that should now work. Same as before:

l

cd ~
    wget http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/download/file.php?id=329 -O EnhancedDigitalOutput.tar.gz

Wilberforce

atb

Ronnie
heathster

Post by heathster »

Hi Ronnie

Thanks for your reply & welcome, much appreciated. I have an Audiolab M-DAC, which is on the list but only supports 24/96 on USB.

I already have SBT & SB, so the Jogglers are there to add to the Squeezebox 'ecosystem' I have LMS running on a small media server. I'm not too bothered with the 192kHz capability, I'd just like to get the EDO mod installed for 24/96. However, this is where my problem lies, I SSH in using putty to apply Wilberforce's patch, but the patch isn't applied, the file is just written to the root directory of the Joggler. I've tried all sorts to apply the patch, with zero success :/

I have another Joggler coming, which I'll just put Squeezeplay OS on and see if that works. But I'd really like to get this working too!

Cheers

Heath
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

heathster wrote:Hi Ronnie

Thanks for your reply & welcome, much appreciated. I have an Audiolab M-DAC, which is on the list but only supports 24/96 on USB.

I already have SBT & SB, so the Jogglers are there to add to the Squeezebox 'ecosystem' I have LMS running on a small media server. I'm not too bothered with the 192kHz capability, I'd just like to get the EDO mod installed for 24/96. However, this is where my problem lies, I SSH in using putty to apply Wilberforce's patch, but the patch isn't applied, the file is just written to the root directory of the Joggler. I've tried all sorts to apply the patch, with zero success :/

I have another Joggler coming, which I'll just put Squeezeplay OS on and see if that works. But I'd really like to get this working too!

Cheers

Heath
Heath, just a few random thoughts.

I would reformat the usb stick using the HP reformat tool.

Then reflash the joggler with the Openpeak software (you can check the internet connection when you do this).

Then reflash again with the Squeezeplay software (I'm assuming you are using the internal image).

Then try and connect the dac and change the output to external (if you don't want the 24/192, then really you don't need EDO).

I have used an iFi nano usb dac in this fashion.

When I have put EDO on the joggler I always install the patch first.

Ronnie

I'll try and have a play with a joggler today.
heathster

Post by heathster »

Hi Ronnie.

I wonder if I'm misunderstanding what EDO does. Squeezeplay is working fine, and I can select external output to my DAC in settings and play files through my DAC. However, when I play a 24/96 file, the DAC displays that it's a 16/44.1 file, so being down sampled and bit reduced. It's this I'm trying to cure so that the files are playing at full 24/96 resolution. This is what I was hoping EDO would do for me, but I may be wrong. My SBT plays the files no problem through OPT & Coax (not used USB) My LMS is running on a WHS 2011 machine and selected as music source in Squeezeplay, so should I still have to patch the LMS on the Joggler for hi res files?

Thanks again for your help.

Heath
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Heath, as you most likely know, the SBT does 24/96 by default.

The EDO patch is to enable 24/192.

The M-dac usb is limited to 24/96, see here

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... p?t=179817

The EDO patch (along with the high res patch enables the Joggler to be the same as a SBT.

I don't know for sure about the Joggler (in standard form) passing 24/96 through the usb output, I would have thought so.

Unfortunately I can't test that at the moment. I have to search out my NANO to try with a joggler (I seem to remember that the leds change colour to show the different sample rate).

I do have another dac which indicates the incoming sample rate but that it's a bit of a faff to set up at the moment, but I'll try at the weekend.

I'd put the patch on the joggler anyway, It won't do any harm.

atb
Ronnie
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Heath,

I have just installed Squeezeplay (Internal) on a Joggler.

I tried to do the patch, but it would not update.

I Think I sam a post about this a while back so will have to check.

I installed the EDO plugin ( I realised that there is a part of the install process that I omitted. Sorry.

cd ~
    wget http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/download/file.php?id=329 -O EnhancedDigitalOutput.tar.gz
press enter when screen stops at overwrite

I connected a Stoner Acoustic UD120 usb dac to the Joggler and have played that into a set of ear phones.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Ronnie.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Man in a van wrote:Heath,

I have just installed Squeezeplay (Internal) on a Joggler.

I tried to do the patch, but it would not update.

I Think I sam a post about this a while back so will have to check.

I installed the EDO plugin ( I realised that there is a part of the install process that I omitted. Sorry.

cd ~
press enter when screen stops at overwrite

I connected a Stoner Acoustic UD120 usb dac to the Joggler and have played that into a set of ear phones.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Ronnie.
Just connected a Boom via the line-in. I'll have another go later in the week with a 24/96 and maybe 24/192.
heathster

Post by heathster »

Hi Ronnie

I appear to have a (high) resolution! My other Joggler arrived today, which I flashed with Squeezeplay OS (internal) applied the EDO patch, and success! It would appear that the EDO patch, applied as per the method here isn't compatible with OP 30300 OS with UPnP III (which includes Squeezeplay) I honestly thought I couldn't be this bad at computer stuff, it was driving me crazy!

I've just played a 24/96 file and the MDAC displayed 24/96 :D

I'll keep one with 30300/UPnP III on, as some of the apps are useful, and I don't need 24/96 on both.

Cheers

Heath
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

Hi. I also got hold of a Dac magic in the current sale for £49. Even with only 16/44 flacs and no tweaking the bass seems more taut and separation better than the uca222. However, according to Cambridge audio's own info, using the xs inusb mode 2 further improves sound quality (as well as giving access to higher bit rates).
Does anyone have experience of this or know if the joggler can use this mode?
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

OK, having switched the unit into mode 2 I can confirm it works OK. However, with no hi-res files or ability to audibly tell the modes apart I don't know which should be better for my use with normal flacs. I'll run it a while like this and see whether it sounds good over a longer run.
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

OK, so the XS is a very revealing DAC. However, my ears are bleeding a bit from the slightly excessively harsh treble. I'm using powered monitors that do have a high frequency attenuation option. With this set at max (-2db) there a still occasions where I'm wincing a bit. Perhaps the Behringer was not quite so 'etched' but it was definitely an easier listen. It's rare I take any tech back, but this might be going...
bencat

Post by bencat »

I have a Joggler O2 installed with Squeeze Play and with the EDO so i can choose via digital output the USB / SPDIF convertor as the digital sound out put . This has worked fine with a number of USB / SPDIF units . I bought today a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 and when connected at first the unit would not register . When it did i chose it as the output and the system rebooted . It then said DAC not connected so went to Select Audio Output page and while MF is there it Info in brackets and when you select that it shows you details about the MF but the top line says Status : Stop and connection says via Hub . But the sound will not go through the unit . Anyone any ideas what the issue is ? Is it telling me that i need to use an external hub to connect it ? Any help would be appreciated . I have gone through the pages here but nothing seems to match the problem .